pros and cons of leaving one's passport at a Thai Visa Agent's office.

21 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Once more I nearly forgot about doing my 90 day report in a timely basis.    Turns  out I  casually and accidentally discovered my reporting was the following day.

Once at the agents office I asked them about leaving the passport with them and they said that'd be fine.    I wouldn't say I left it with purpose and intention but I just didn't go and pick it up the next day when it was ready.

What are the pros and cons of leaving the passport with them?

I always carry the  reduced credit card  sized  copy in my passport along with my MC and car license.

The agent does not need your passport to do a 90-day report.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

if a reputable agent no cons
i didn't do a 90 day report for 6 months
My agent did my yearly extension and was charged and extra 1,000 baht for the missed 90 day report (s) 

The agent does not need your passport to do a 90-day report.

if you missed a report date, the passport is required 

How safe is it to mail ur passport to ur embassy in Bangkok for a new passport?? 

Edited by zzzzz

22 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

You left your pp at an agents office because you cannot remember to do a 90 day report on time? Cons - leaving your pp with anyone risks getting it lost. Why not just do the reports yourself and keep your pp with you at all times like most people do?

Not that difficult to set up an 'alarm' to remind you to do the 90 day report on line. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 5:10 PM, Gottfrid said:

Huge risk involved with leaving passport with an agent. No benefits at all!

Have you not heard of immigration losing a person's passport?   I don't thing the world ended then because of that.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Have you not heard of immigration losing a person's passport?   I don't thing the world ended then because of that.

Dis I post anything about that? Of course it´s not the end of the world. Where do you get that from. Still it´s a huge risk leaving your passport to another person for keep.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 1:21 PM, Toby1947 said:

Pros, live in a civilised country 

Check out the mandatory division of assets upon the breakdown of relationships in the UK, USA and Australia before you call them civilised.

• Like 1

There's no cons if your agent is serious. As the online reporting never worked for me and I'm too lazy to go Chaengwattana to wait in line for a few hours I use an agent that does the report for me and everything works well. Bonus is I don't even have to get out of my home to bring them my passport, the agent come to pick it up / give it back directly.

• Like 1