Bangkok Drunk Driving Victims Network Opposes Repeal of Train Alcohol Ban

webfact

image.jpeg

National — On July 11th, 2024, Mr. Jessada Yamsabai, the President of the Bangkok Drunk Driving Victims Network, along with over 50 members of other networks, submitted a petition to acting Governor of the State Railway of Thailand, Jarae Rungthanee, opposing the repeal of the ban on alcohol sales and consumption on trains and at train stations.

Jessada referenced a tragic 2014 incident where a young girl was sexually assaulted and murdered by an intoxicated railway officer, an event that led to the establishment of the alcohol ban to enhance passenger safety.

This ban was publicly announced on February 5th, 2015, under former Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, aimed at reducing accidents and ensuring passenger safety on trains.

The network has consistently advocated for the reduction of alcohol consumption and monitored the enforcement of related laws to mitigate its societal impact. They strongly oppose the State Railway of Thailand’s proposal to the National Alcoholic Beverage Policy Committee to reconsider the ban on alcohol sales and consumption on trains and at train stations, purportedly to promote domestic tourism, Jesada said.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-07-12

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Yep, that was disgusting but can and will happen because of the actions of a sober nutcase. While understandable if you are victim’s family/friend, people are trying to stimmy everyone’s pleasure through the actions of the one or few. Why not ban it altogether and be done with it? Why not ban the sale of kitchen knives also? Personally like to have a beer (usually just one) with meal on train; like most. I’m not driving the thing. Alcohol buying hours and the curtailment on trains is bewildering to tourists. It is silly. 

If the train has a dining carriage then fine, allow alcohol to be served within the carriage under the supervision of serving staff..

But I'm in favour of the ban remaining within any other open carriage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If the train has a dining carriage then fine, allow alcohol to be served within the carriage under the supervision of serving staff..

I have a feeling that was the way it was. Drinking was meant to be confined to the dining carriage. I might be wrong. It was a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

OK on airplanes but not trains, amazing

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Why, what's you're reasoning?

If someone wants to consume a beverage with a meal within a dining carriage I have no objection.

I do have an objection to sitting next to a pi$$-head in an open carriage 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, flexomike said:

OK on airplanes but not trains, amazing

On airplanes drinks are regulated by cabin staff..

There would be nothing to stop someone taking alcohol onto a train and consuming it to the point of being offensive

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

On airplanes drinks are regulated by cabin staff..

There would be nothing to stop someone taking alcohol onto a train and consuming it to the point of being offensive

There's nothing stopping anyone in any public place from doing the same... So where is the line drawn ?

Banning the sales of booze between 2pm and 5pm ? - a ridiculous regulation, a complete ban ?..  no, of course not.

Thailand commonly employs these sweeping tactics, often as a knee-jerk reaction to an incident... it then places such restrictions on the whole of society rather than dealing with a tiny minority of 'wrong-uns'... 

Instead of these daft sweeping regulations - just commit to serious penalties for those behaving antisocially - its not hard, but takes some enforcement, thats all. 

As always, these regulations are put in place to further enable the apathy of law enforcement rather that pushing them to actually police effectively.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If someone wants to consume a beverage with a meal within a dining carriage I have no objection.

So... how many times does that happen ???  

I don't want to sit next to a *loud obnoxious pi$$ head in a restaurant... 

(*I added that caveat as pi$$ heads can also be polite and quiet - I'm sure many of us enjoy beers to the point of being inebriated and behave perfectly well).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

National — On July 11th, 2024, Mr. Jessada Yamsabai, the President of the Bangkok Drunk Driving Victims Network,

There's victims? How odd......some on here claim that we all drive better when drunk.....very confusing.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:
5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Why, what's you're reasoning?

Sanctimony... perhaps...  certainly seems like it. 

Before this ban (put in place after a drunk railway employee raped a female) - were there any reported issues of drunk and disorderly behavior on the trains ?

I've taken the train a few times (Malaysia - Hat-Yai / Hat Yai - Bangkok (a couple of times) / Bangkok to Chiang Mai (a couple of times)...  I never saw anyone acting up - admittedly, in taking the train so few times its unlikely I'd be exposed to such behavior... 

But, has anyone seen drunken and disorderly behavior on trains at all ?...  any regularity at all ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Jessada referenced a tragic 2014 incident where a young girl was sexually assaulted and murdered by an intoxicated railway officer, an event that led to the establishment of the alcohol ban to enhance passenger safety.

I remember the story in the news about this very sad incident. Officers – in any kind of position – should not be drinking on duty, nor be intoxicated.

Best prevention is more control or tests, especially in traffic, but perhaps also for any kind of government officers on duty.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I agree .... and I enjoy an ice cold beer ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I wonder if train drivers are better drivers after a few shots...... some on here maintain driving a car drunk is safer than being sober?

Fortunately, thats a minority of the most idiotic and mentally challenged of posters. 

9 hours ago, alien365 said:

The thing is, the ban doesn't stop drunkards getting drunk on a train. They will have their khao khao in water bottles. It affects normal people who just want a beer or two on a long train journey. 

100%...     during Easter I was looking at a 'father-son' trip up to Chaing Mai... take the train up and go on trek.. fly back.

There is no way I want to get on a train without a little booze - I'd want to chill on the train ride with perhaps a bottle of wine...  I'd perhaps decant the wine into a flask... my guess is most people do the same and decant something.

I haven't been on a train for years - so don't know if people just ignore the rules and take their own beer and booze on it anyway.... and if all of this 'media announcement' is just out of touch nonsense. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

100%...     during Easter I was looking at a 'father-son' trip up to Chaing Mai... take the train up and go on trek.. fly back.

There is no way I want to get on a train without a little booze - I'd want to chill on the train ride with perhaps a bottle of wine...  I'd perhaps decant the wine into a flask... my guess is most people do the same and decant something.

I haven't been on a train for years - so don't know if people just ignore the rules and take their own beer and booze on it anyway.... and if all of this 'media announcement' is just out of touch nonsense. 

I'd also appreciate an update from someone who has used the trains recently. I haven't been on a sleeper train since before covid. First class in our own room was not a problem. Second class we saw the inspectors telling people they could not drink on the way out, but there was no problem at all on our return journey. We took wine and whisky in our flasks and had no problems as we weren't drinking to get drunk or acting like children.