For those of you who have lived here for years?

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I am not over 75 but I've been living here for many years.

If I had my time again I would never have moved to Thailand.

Biggest mistake of my life.

bob.

absolutely agree Bob ....  nothing but thieves 

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Of course, but Im able to understand some thai, same as I understand Spanish and German, and also some useful frazes 

I've lived in Thailand for 22 years, I married my Thai wife 20 years ago. Firstly I made it a rule to only learn words in Thai that would be useful for me in the future. Most of the common words plus any number given to me, even the high numbers I know them fluently. My biggest gripe is that Pattaya especially has changed dramatically over the past decade. Maybe it's when Thaksin was disposed of being the PM. I'm not into Thai politics so don't say I'm sticking up for an alleged crook. I do know one thing the conversion rate for the Thai baht was 30% higher on all overseas currencies than what it is now. So the better the exchange rate the more tourist come. The more tourist equates to much higher earnings for the local traders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, susanlea said:

Why stay if you hate it? Just whinging. 

You don't have a clue about peoples circumstances do you ... you just babble of words without thinking ...

I am tired up in investments and property here ... so I cannot just go home. 

enough chat with a Bot AI.  

• Agree 1

Make sure that you can live comfortably on your pension and savings. In Thailand there is no welfare system and if you fall ill (which is quite likely at your age), your going to have to pay for decent treatment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Why did you invest in a country you hate? I don't get it.

When you come here for a while it all seems nice and rosy .... then you realize what cheats they really are and you've already put out a lot of money.  

That's what happens ... it's so fake ... 

Please don't ask anymore questions ... 

I'm not saying everyone gets shafted ... but many do .... it's in their DNA.. :cheesy:

Edited by steven100
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

When you come here for a while it all seems nice and rosy .... then you realize what cheats they really are and you've already put out a lot of money.  

That's what happens ... it's so fake ... 

Please don't ask anymore questions ... 

Actually everyone told me 20 years ago rent don't buy. Didn't you hear these warnings? :coffee1:

With 5,000 baht to 10,000 baht rentals why would you buy unless totally happy?

It is just common sense.

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Make a serious effort to learn the language. Unless you live in the cities you will wallow without it.

yea....that and pay taxes.

Because these 2 things will give you enormous advantages as a Farang mug in Thailand.

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Crikey, I've lived here for over 20 years, still in my 50's.

Reading all the negativity.

How sad it must be for some of you guys living your miserable life here in Thailand.

I'm the happiest guy on the planet, would not have chosen to live anywhere else. 

I did like Vung Tau when I was working there, would have been my next choice. 

some folks are happy in any place .....  good for you  .... 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I keep a daily schedule and ride my bike hours a day........so i guess im on the right track...but i digress im under 75...

Not to mention all the other hours sitting and writing in ASEAN 

I'm starting to think that's it's a virtual bike your riding with all the time you do on here !!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Some guys that have come to Thailand from overseas after more than a few failed marriages maybe considered as poor mans Mickey Rooneys

I'm on my first marriage now, even though I'm happy enough I would never get married again if we parted for whatever reason.

15 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I've been married to my Thai wife and lived here for 37 years. At 90 I don't regret any of it.

Love you mate ,and thankyou for your service to the community on here 🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Crikey, I've lived here for over 20 years, still in my 50's.

Reading all the negativity.

How sad it must be for some of you guys living your miserable life here in Thailand.

I'm the happiest guy on the planet, would not have chosen to live anywhere else. 

I did like Vung Tau when I was working there, would have been my next choice. 

It may be ok for you as you have $$ ,many of us like myself are very poor forced to work 12 hours days and double shifts on Sunday's .

When we do go to Thailand we are locked up in our 6 weeks annual leave in a large Condo with small cell rooms 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

That must be fun at parties when many people are talking at once? 

Might be ok for single sentences, but socially I don’t think Thais are going to be bothered with a farang and a google translator.

The educated ones speak English

Valid point...   

Thus: while nowhere near 75 years old, I have been here over 25 years...

One of the things I did do and that I'd recommend to do is to make friends with *educated Thai's... 

Having a health mix of genuine friends, both Thai and Western makes life here far more normal... 

A lot of the comments I read on here are from those who have hardly integrated or scratched the surface they clearly see a different Thailand than I have - in many cases they have yet to come full circle.

(*of course, that doesn't mean don't make friends with non educated Thai's - I had to add that as I know some idiot will pick-up on that)... 

That said: Knowing the language has great value, even trying has value and while those educated friends will all speak perfect English...  they are not there with you when you need to deal with some bureaucratic situations or need to have dialogue with those who lack the English skills to assist you when needed or wanted. 

Even knowing some of the language just makes everything much easier than not knowing any of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1