Are you spending more or less than you had planned before coming here?

On 7/13/2024 at 2:51 PM, Hummin said:

shopping twice a month 16 000 at makro

Diesel 1200

Electric 2500 - 3500

other 5000

25k a month +-

Her parents salery for working 10k a total of 35k +-

Farm income 300k

Are you feeding an army at from macro. I spend either like six or $7,000 a month or maybe $1,900 a week no damn way that you spend that much money at macro month unless you're buying beef every minute and the huge kilos of salmon. I spend a lot more on diesel than 1200 more like 1200 a week

Edited by arick
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Of course, I am spending more as the price of everything has gone up. But many of us get cost of living increases from our home country that more than make up the increase in the cost of living here. I do know a Brit who has been here for 20 years without a cost of living adjustment and he is feeling the pain.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

3 dogs 5 people 

My dog eat 200g beef a day, 

I'm surprised it's only 16k.

Most of our food budget is Makro (only game in town (Lotus's sucks).   @arick and yea, depending what you buy, it can add up.   We eat salmon, beef, shrimp, green/red peppers, broccoli & asparagus (if none in garden).  Along with less expensive chicken & pork.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Most of our food budget is Makro (only game in town (Lotus's sucks).   @arick and yea, depending what you buy, it can add up.   We eat salmon, beef, shrimp, green/red peppers, broccoli & asparagus (if none in garden).  Along with less expensive chicken & pork.

The budget for the farm with her parents salery, dogs, and a adoptive daughter, school money/pocket money is 20k a month when we are not there. 

We additionally buying 5k at the marked, eggs (soon our own production), some local beef to the falang dog, pork, etc. Most vegetables and fruits we grown our self, and we also have pond fish both for dogs and the family. I do not eat pond fish, unless its young fish,and not been sitting there for more than 4 months, and I have been home adding ground water and circulating the pond every day. 

I cant make them do everything like I want them to do, so 😄 At least I have them empty the pond at the end of dry season and set out new fish every year. 

Makro is great, get everything you need, but need at least one trip to Tops every month as well 

15 hours ago, arick said:

Are you feeding an army at from macro. I spend either like six or $7,000 a month or maybe $1,900 a week no damn way that you spend that much money at macro month unless you're buying beef every minute and the huge kilos of salmon. I spend a lot more on diesel than 1200 more like 1200 a week

Two trips to city, and local driving. I said my budget was excempt travelling, just for what we basically needed for a month. 

And yes we buy a large frozen north athlantic salomon every month, and I have about a kg tuna for myself as well. Not to forget toilet papers, 4 cases of soda water, cheese, a few packages of smoked bacon, youghurt, not much. 

My wife is a good chef and can make anything taste good, at the same time it is healthy. 

The good thing, we do not need to live on this budget, we can, and we do spend more when travelling. 

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Any items in Makro are 10 baht or more, less then in lotus. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, arick said:

Any items in Makro are 10 baht or more, less then in lotus. 

Broccoli ,cabbage asparagus I they grow in the village so I buy it@10bht

On 7/12/2024 at 5:46 PM, susanlea said:

I don't believe most of the stories I read on here. A single person could totally live on 25,000 imo if they wanted.

That's not living, it's simply existing - IMO.

As to the OP's question, I spend what I need to live a comfortable life whilst living within my means. I follow simple Micawbian economic principles ~ “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.”  Return on investments covers the basics, the amount of days consultancy work annually is something of an unknown variable, so I adjust my discretionary expenditure accordingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Makro is great, get everything you need, but need at least one trip to Tops every month as well 

Most of our shopping is done at Makro, as stated, Lotus's is terrible, and almost always more expensive.   I think 7-11 cheaper than Lotus's.   Lotus doesn't carry half the stuff we buy, and meat, veggie & fruit selections are dismal.  No Tops or Gourmet Market here, though we pop into GM when at Hua Hin.

Even when we lived in Udon Thani, lots of options, but still shopped mostly at Makro.

1 hour ago, arick said:

Broccoli ,cabbage asparagus I they grow in the village so I buy it@10bht

When we can find, buy veggies from fresh market, and the broccoli & asparagus is much cheaper, but hard to find.   Getting a supply of asparagus in the greenhouse, so that's a plus of late.

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Most of our shopping is done at Makro, as stated, Lotus's is terrible, and almost always more expensive.   I think 7-11 cheaper than Lotus's.   Lotus doesn't carry half the stuff we buy, and meat, veggie & fruit selections are dismal.  No Tops or Gourmet Market here, though we pop into GM when at Hua Hin.

Even when we lived in Udon Thani, lots of options, but still shopped mostly at Makro.

When we can find, buy veggies from fresh market, and the broccoli & asparagus is much cheaper, but hard to find.   Getting a supply of asparagus in the greenhouse, so that's a plus of late.

Gourmet Market at Bluport Hua Hin used to be ok, as well Villa Market. 

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Got good insurance, so no problem at all.

Problem for most people because they do not have group emoyer insurance.

Just like your other posts where you say most Thais make 100k a month this one is also pretty useless.

7 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Problem for most people because they do not have group emoyer insurance.

Just like your other posts where you say most Thais make 100k a month this one is also pretty useless.

You keep twisted my words and make foolish assumptions.

Most of the employees in my IT company make 100K a month or more., not most Thais.

45 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You keep twisted my words and make foolish assumptions.

Most of the employees in my IT company make 100K a month or more., not most Thais.

Well, isn't your company super lucky.

It's Monday and instead of earning your salary, you are posting on Asean Now.

Also Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

Edited by Celsius

5 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Well, isn't your company super ucky.

It's Monday and instead of earning your salary, you are posting on Asean Now.

Also Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

Get a life and try to make some money. Then you can go to Nana with more than 1500 thb in your pocket if you have wifey problems again.

Edited by FritsSikkink

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Got good insurance, so no problem at all.

You can have 80% of your liver removed out of government hospital for $120,000 including private room.

Before moving to Thailand, worked out my budget as 30,000 a month, which was slightly less than my pension income. Had savings.

Unfortunately, exchange rate plummeted, wife got pregnant and wife's family business failed. What with unplanned events (repairs etc.) found i was spending 40,000 a month, more than pension. And then some major expenditures on the Thai house; could have done a Heath Robinson repair, but if it needs to be done, better to improve on what was already there. Scraped through to my state pension, and then was able to save (well not really, just save up to do those things you want, but couldn't previously afford). Good thing is 10 years later still only spend 40,000 baht a month, not including 'projects' about twice a year. Pension now 50% above the routine monthly expenditure.

Main costs:

Utility bills, 10,000 baht a month (big house, 5 people)

Petrol, 2,000 baht a month (mainly school runs, shopping)

Food 15,000 a month

Annual things:

School fees/other school costs 45,000 baht a year

car insurance /service/ tax 12,000 baht a year

Health - PAYG - 30,000 baht a year

Annual trip to see children in UK - 50,000 baht (not part of monthly).

How anyone would want to live on 15,000 baht a month lifestyle i do not know, especially with a family, it must be very boring. I know Thais do it, but they have to do without many things we take for granted.

• Agree 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:46 PM, susanlea said:

I don't believe most of the stories I read on here. A single person could totally live on 25,000 imo if they wanted.

Yes, living in a one room apartment with fan, eating the local food from the street vendors, and having a few Chang for entertainment.

I would not call that living, more like subsiding.

I'm spending about twice what I calculated for a family of two. And we have own house.

I'm blaming it all on UK politics that made GBP lose over 40% just one year after I retired here.

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Yes, living in a one room apartment with fan, eating the local food from the street vendors, and having a few Chang for entertainment.

What is living then? A two room apartment, a/c, food from a pricey restaurant, a fine wine?

On 7/16/2024 at 1:23 PM, rickudon said:

Before moving to Thailand, worked out my budget as 30,000 a month, which was slightly less than my pension income. Had savings.

Unfortunately, exchange rate plummeted, wife got pregnant and wife's family business failed. What with unplanned events (repairs etc.) found i was spending 40,000 a month, more than pension. And then some major expenditures on the Thai house; could have done a Heath Robinson repair, but if it needs to be done, better to improve on what was already there. Scraped through to my state pension, and then was able to save (well not really, just save up to do those things you want, but couldn't previously afford). Good thing is 10 years later still only spend 40,000 baht a month, not including 'projects' about twice a year. Pension now 50% above the routine monthly expenditure.

Main costs:

Utility bills, 10,000 baht a month (big house, 5 people)

Petrol, 2,000 baht a month (mainly school runs, shopping)

Food 15,000 a month

Annual things:

School fees/other school costs 45,000 baht a year

car insurance /service/ tax 12,000 baht a year

Health - PAYG - 30,000 baht a year

Annual trip to see children in UK - 50,000 baht (not part of monthly).

How anyone would want to live on 15,000 baht a month lifestyle i do not know, especially with a family, it must be very boring. I know Thais do it, but they have to do without many things we take for granted.

I never stop to be surprised. People who already living on the limits of what they can afford, either finds a lady who have kids from before, or make a couple of themselves if not have, and some do both. 

I have said many times before, Me and my wife can easily live on 20k a month if only us two, and have a decent good life with food, and everything we need, except insurance, travel and other activities that cost money. It is a good sustainable life if we had to do, but no extra, like repairs, new glasses, etc.

Family of 5 now who eat with us, and we help one adoptive daughter, basic costs not so much more + dogs. 

3 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

I'm spending about twice what I calculated for a family of two. And we have own house.

I'm blaming it all on UK politics that made GBP lose over 40% just one year after I retired here.

out in the country you can build 120m2 for less than a million with land, and live a good sustainable life and manage to save if your pension is not so high. a good life is not all about wine, fine dining and travels, but I have to admit it helps. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

out in the country you can build 120m2 for less than a million with land, and live a good sustainable life and manage to save if your pension is not so high. a good life is not all about wine, fine dining and travels, but I have to admit it helps. 

Maybe up in Issan, I'm very far from there. And to be totally honest would never consider moving there. Just rice paddies and buffalos and crap food. 1 million will get you maybe 1 rai of land where I live. And a small house, as you suggest 120m2, maybe another two million. Just for the record, I'm not in any tourist ghettos, but still like to stay close to the beach.

1 minute ago, SpaceKadet said:

Maybe up in Issan, I'm very far from there. And to be totally honest would never consider moving there. Just rice paddies and buffalos and crap food. 1 million will get you maybe 1 rai of land where I live. And a small house, as you suggest 120m2, maybe another two million. Just for the record, I'm not in any tourist ghettos, but still like to stay close to the beach.

Food is what you make or your wife make, so it is an individual thing. Makro is almost the same everywhere, and most you missing is easily ordered or bought at Tops. 

We have budget living as we do, and in return the farm provides 300k back, so it is more for being sustainable and not waste to much money. It was a temporary project, now moving on to next. 

22 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

What is living then? A two room apartment, a/c, food from a pricey restaurant, a fine wine?

It's up to their personal liking, but I would not like to live in a 12m2 room with fan and no furniture, and all my computers and guitars and books stacked along the walls. And all my clothes in plastic baskets.

I do still have other interests beyond subsiding, and like to maintain them.

Besides, I am not very keen on local spirits, except perhaps Sang Som, and local industrial beers make me puke, and not much of a wine drinker. The beer situation is improving recently though. Top shelf vodkas and gin are expensive, and my car/motorbike expenses run to 5000-6000 average per month. The car is needed where I am.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Food is what you make or your wife make, so it is an individual thing. Makro is almost the same everywhere, and most you missing is easily ordered or bought at Tops. 

We have budget living as we do, and in return the farm provides 300k back, so it is more for being sustainable and not waste to much money. It was a temporary project, now moving on to next. 

Nearest Tops is 2.5 hours drive, one way. Makro is closer and I spend 5000-6000 baht every time we go there. They don't have everything I need though. The well stocked Makro is again 2.5 hours drive. That's the whole day gone, just for shopping.