Foreigner and Thai woman get into heated argument on BTS (video)

2 hours ago, 123Stodg said:

A quality American representing! 

Even though he technically didn't do anything wrong or illegal, the government will need to be seen as being proactive when a video like this goes viral. Thus, he will likely be tracked down by the authorities and expelled from the country to make the locals feel good. It is unfair, but it is what it is. Their country, their whatever-they-want rules. Visas are revocable at anytime and foreigners don't have rights. Some need to learn the rules (of no rules) the hard way unfortunately. 

The problem with video's like this are that they don't start when the arguments start. He said he asked politely first, maybe he did but was ignored so then got a bit pushy we will never know.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, ravip said:

Just a small question, for my education purpose, as I am totally ignorant about this subject - sorry.

Do people in any country use the F word (other similar 'colorful' words) when communicating between immediate family members too - Parents, children, siblings etc. etc.?

Yes, lots do, in lots of countries...

• Agree 1

Sorry can't be asked to read 5 pages of comments, but I wonder how she would react if told she was Forking Beautiful, or wow your clothes are Forking nice. Unfortunately when Thais hear the F word they immediately take it as swearing not knowing it is in the English Dictionary. On a home visit by Immigration, I was asked to show my bank book as I came out of my room I dropped it and let go a f * *k . he threatened to revoke my extension. Mucking Fental.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I predict next year Thai's will be protesting at the open door policies for visitors. 

Yep they will all stand in the way, so 'Foreigners' can't get in.................:cheesy:

I wonder if he would have said "Get the f*** out of the way" if it was some 6'4" muscle bound, bald, tattooed guy instead of a Thai woman.  I doubt it.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

You have to understand that most Thais have no presence of mind whatsoever so of course they are rude throughout the day. They are not even aware of all the inconsiderate things they do hour by hour.

I think also Thais have a thing where they don't feel that they need to show normal consideration towards foreign people (since their social rules focus on Thai people), but will get mad if a foreign person doesn't treat them the way they expect to be treated.

The problem is that many of them go mainly on what is taught to them and don't really think critically.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Hey tough guy...

Try pulling a stunt like that on a NYC subway car and see what happens.

An alternative view - Yes, try doing this on the London Underground - the woman would be called out every time.

This isn’t an excuse for the guys bully tactics which detracts from the message, but this is common behavior by Thais on the BTS / MRT.

There were posts on Reddit from Thais who agreed with the guy, although not his manner. I have encountered some pretty entitled individuals on BTS during rush hour, blocking the entrance because they will be getting off in 4 stops time, silently refusing to move back into the corners, creating their own space by putting their phones up. Trains pulling away leaving passengers on the platform when there is room on the other side of the vestibule are quite common. 

Actually, quite an interesting week on Thai socials, I don’t think it made AN but a guy opened the door and launched some woman’s phone into the distance after she sat at a green light using her phone. Her reply was “it was Google maps” - doesn’t matter, using your phone whilst driving is wrong. Sometimes Thais need to be held accountable for their actions. 

I feel short-changed. Where's the 'heated argument'?

He's right - a$$holes who block the doors and don't move inside the carriage deserve all the abuse they get.

So nothing to argue about here anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

There are no laws anywhere in the world that state you have to be polite or nice to anyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but swearing in public in and of itself is not a crime.

Only if coupled with the threat of violence can it then be construed as assault/battery, which is a crime.

That guy was rude.

So what?

rude people are everywhere. 

Thais are also very rude.

I have had a hell of a lot worse shouted at/done to me by locals over the years..

I think this is just another case of farang shaming and the fact that the woman sent her recorded clip to news agencies just goes to show how petty they really are.

bob.

In the UK:

Section 5 makes it an offence to use “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour” or to display “any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting” within the hearing or sight of a person “likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

In the UK:

Section 5 makes it an offence to use “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour” or to display “any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting” within the hearing or sight of a person “likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress. 

Jesus ... Christ!

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

You know how it works.

Please move, there's lots of room. (Nothing happens.)

Please, there's lots of room, let me in. (Nothing happens.)

GET THE F*** OUT OF THE WAY ! (People suddenly realize that there is lots of room and move while getting upset that their ignorant behaviour for not moving before when asked politely is being highlighted by the rude foreigner that is making them lose "face".)

I've had it happen before (in other countries) and - shocker - it's amazing how many people suddenly understand English just fine when you raise your voice and utter a profanity or two.

But when you are polite, people decide they can just ignore you and play ignorant because moving one step is too much of an inconvenience for them.

You are right,also in the car.You beep your horn just a little bit at a motorbike and you get ignored!

This all changed when i installed an air horn,first a normal beep and if no reaction a blast of sound.

They almost jump of their bikes!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

You have to understand that most Thais have no presence of mind whatsoever so of course they are rude throughout the day. They are not even aware of all the inconsiderate things they do hour by hour.

Especially true on the roads.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

In the UK:

But there's no freedom of speech there. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

This would only be reported if a foreigner, never a Thai

Nah Thai morning TV and TV news is full of thais having petty arguments and disagreements with each other. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NJHOUSE said:

They are transportationally challenged.

Moving from A to B in a safe and considerate manner is just to hard

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mason45 said:
3 hours ago, bob smith said:

There are no laws anywhere in the world that state you have to be polite or nice to anyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but swearing in public in and of itself is not a crime.

OK. bob you are wrong swearing at police in the UK is a crime, try swearing to Thai immigration on your next visit see how that goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

it's the same as bad driving on the road - being dangerous and cutting people off, undertaking in the wrong lane, going the wrong way is tolerated, but the moment you honk your horn you're the bad guy and violence against you is justified 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I predict next year Thai's will be protesting at the open door policies for visitors. 

Perhaps the "open door policies" will be extended to all trains and buses to make it easier to eject rude passengers?

Back in the old days before cheap airfares and easy visas there were few Americans in Thailand apart from when they came to bomb the Vietnamese, Laotian and Cambodian people and villages.

Now unfortunately it is too easy for them to come here so we get their trashy people. 
Might be time to start limiting their numbers for the sake of everyone else.

Most Americans don’t even have a passport which is a good thing, keep them inside Trumps wall.

• Agree 1

A number of posts have been removed for breaking community rules.

Polite reminder rule 17. ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our  forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, and criticising grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW.

If you'd like to help us, and you see an error with an article, then please use the report function so that we can attend to it promptly.