Stainless Steel Benches in Lumpini Park Raise Safety Concerns

webfact

10 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Exposed to full sunlight for 1hourt or so , they will become hot , really hot...

They appear to be in areas shaded by shrubbery and are equipped with umbrellas for shade from the sun.   If any are in unshaded, direct, hot sunlight, no one will be sitting on them, anyway.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that getting custom made stainless tops made for these has to be a lot more expensive than just getting the stone repaired and polished!
The heat issue is yet another thing. I can't even begin to fathom who on earth would ever think that this kind of bench or table, outdoors, in Thailand would be a good idea! Good thing lawsuits aren't a big thing in Thailand. In the US, they'd be sure to get sued for people getting their butts burned!
And, sure, that surface is easy to clean... but they'll never get used enough to get dirty in the first place.

Yes, small thing - this steel furniture will expand and shrink daily - natural effect of direct heat over-exposure. Get it? those with destroy itself in no time )

Probably ThaiNox is in the deep sh*t if they convince our beloved mayor to purchase those... 

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

image.png.2335662b7e9bb97ee06d8675e6a02f8c.png

Hey 'confused', you may want to pick a science book.  Will also explain why you sweat your butt off a bit more than your mates, who prefer white / light t-shirts instead of the black one, you may wear.

Think these folks know something you don't ...

image.png.3e79c068ec2ab11cfe98330bc800f5f5.png

On Topic ... as always ... 

Just noticed these at local park.   What were they thinking ?   Surely don't get much use when the sun is out.image.png.dce647f096018f0a64e32e42b80410ba.png

Although all the exercise equipment is smartly painted white ... go figure ...

image.png.2972b84f858631e22640fc3b26b5a2df.png

Seems to be a lot of posters confused on this forum from simple statements to topics.

Trolling mostly, or low IQ.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Seems to be a lot of posters confused on this forum from simple statements to topics.

Trolling mostly, or low IQ.

Who actually cares? No idea why some grown adults are so sensitive over stupid emojis, it baffles me.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Paint them white ... problem solved :coffee1:

The whole point of stainless is it should not need painting.

If it is painted, it's difficult to get decent adhesion without a fairly savage acid etch, or a lot of abrasion to create a good key.

It's not as simple as painting white, a primer designed for use with stainless is also required.

The best material for tables and benches in a park is wood. There are some very durable and economical qualities of wood in Thailand. It doesn't matter using teak...!

• Thumbs Up 2

They're beautiful and functional. The fact that they're unusable probably has to be in the mix. What a conundrum!

The fact that they're unuseable would probably extend their functional lives. Does anybody ever think of that? Centuries. Just saying...

Edited by Pinot

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Paint them white ... problem solved :coffee1:

Paint is not durable enough to with stand the expansion and contraction of metal with the range of temperatures, and would be unlikely to withstand the wear and tear of people sitting on it. The reason they used stainless steel is because it is durable in and of itself. and doesn't have to be painted to withstand weather. But anyone who has used tools in the sun knows that steel gets blistering hot unless you keep them shaded. Someone in the loop didn't understand basic physics.  

Someone has grave misconceptions about the properties of reflective surfaces. A flat steel surface cannot focus sunlight in such a way as to cause a fire. If it were concave like the shape of a radar antenna or a satellite dish then yes, MAYBE. 

I believe they did that on purpose to deter people from taking naps or any extended stay there in groups. That's precisely the materials I'd choose if the goal was to prevent loitering to an extent, even if that only works during the sunny hours. I've seen many Thais taking naps during daytime there and it didn't bother me at all, but who knows if they wanted to get rid of that somehow. 

Another, painful, example of why we can't have places of simple natural, peaceful beauty settings.  Rip it up, rip it out, make a towering  eyesore.  Chuwit's park comes to mind, the old location and building that was Hemingway's.  Soi 7 Sukhumvit. Ugly skyscrapers replace older buildings, public transportation above ground in heaving concrete and ugly steel stations. A beyond absurd new train station, Insane traffic jammed up on major roads.   Parks too far off the beaten paths to be seen.  

Edited by LatPhrao

17 hours ago, stoner said:

I will pay 1000b to anyone willing to sit on it for 15 minutes with a speedo on

A mankini would be better. 

I will chip in another 1000 baht to see that for a laugh. 😂

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

18 hours ago, stoner said:

i never had any corrosion in my 304 ss from china. but i did notice the difference in quality in welds and weight. so yes they did leave something out. 

I have had 304 rust, not sure of COF but due the volumes we purchase I suspect it is China.

Basically it turns from austentic (non magnetic) to  martensite (magnetic) in localised areas that have been cold formed (bending, rolling, peening) and may rust in those area's.

Post prcesss anealing fixes this. If rust presents at welded area's.... that is contmination.

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I have had 304 rust, not sure of COF but due the volumes we purchase I suspect it is China.

Basically it turns from austentic (non magnetic) to  martensite (magnetic) in localised areas that have been cold formed (bending, rolling, peening) and may rust in those area's.

Post prcesss anealing fixes this. If rust presents at welded area's.... that is contmination.

thanks for that info. 

The stupid person who made the decision to waste money is not unique here. It was probably the same person who installed traffic signs in Pattaya along the sidewalks at the perfect height to gash one's head. 

Maybe this is just a form of job security. The traffic signs had to be reinstalled and something will have to be done about the SS benched.

BTW, if stainless steel cause fires then the planet would have been  burnt to a crisp long ago. 

9 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

Another, painful, example of why we can't have places of simple natural, peaceful beauty settings.  Rip it up, rip it out, make a towering  eyesore.  Chuwit's park comes to mind, the old location and building that was Hemingway's.  Soi 7 Sukhumvit. Ugly skyscrapers replace older buildings, public transportation above ground in heaving concrete and ugly steel stations. A beyond absurd new train station, Insane traffic jammed up on major roads.   Parks too far off the beaten paths to be seen.  

Wow. I mean, wow. Nobody has "ripped" anything out of anywhere. Some ugly stone benches were covered in stainless steel. That's it. It is an incredibly minor thing but it leads to a massive rant about everything. Wow. You are obviously not a happy man, but pretty impressive mountain making out of a tiny molehill. Obviously if you owned the old Hemingways and were offered tens of millions of pounds for the land you would have said no because it is a nice building, well done you.

Parks too far off the beaten paths to be seen.  

Benjasiri, albeit not the biggest park in the world, is right next to Phrom Pong BTS in the middle of Sukhumvit. Benjakiti and the fantastic new Forest Park are right slap bang in the middle of central Bangkok connected to the MRT. Lumpini is right in the heart of the city too and accessible by MRT and BTS (or the heaving concrete train system as you might call it). Rama IX park and Nong Bon lake are central for East Bangkokians and are next to the yellow line monorail. Chatuchak park couldn't be closer to the MRT or BTS and indeed has a station right at the entrance. 

Honestly not sure what you are talking about, you just wanted a good old negative rant about everything because that is what people like you do. A reminder: the OP was about a resurfacing of some park benches.

• Haha 1

Stainless Steel Benches in Lumpini Park Raise Safety Concerns.

They seem to look ok.

As for getting hot they seem to be in a shaded area that 'll  be ok if they keep them in the Shade.

5 minutes ago, digger70 said:

They seem to look ok.

As for getting hot they seem to be in a shaded area that 'll  be ok if they keep them in the Shade.

I agree, I never liked the look of the stone benches, these look better. And from the picture they are clearly in a recessed shaded area and also have umbrellas. If they are out in the open it doesn't matter what material they are made from because no one is sitting in direct Bangkok sun anyway.

It's refreshing to finally see a post with a normal perspective.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1