Thai woman wins 9 million baht from UK bet

webfact

10 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Sorry but 200K GBP is hardly a life changing amount. Not even for Thailand. But I wish them luck. 

Don't forget that the Inland Revenue is going to want a cut of that.  Depending on their gross income, they'd better plan a house minus 39-48%.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Elsewhere in the world a small bet of $1 can yield anywhere from 9 million baht to $100 million in the case of lotteries in the US. Here in Thailand 100 baht lotto only pays relatively small amounts. 

If I won or my wife won, the last thing in the world I would do is post it online or let anybody know about it. 

Indeed! They should move away from their home village and start afresh secretly.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, misterphil said:

It clearly says "Our new dream home in Thailand, valued at £43,000, is currently under construction.”

So they still have over ฿7 mil left to invest. 

So what ? Still not enough, as she wants to move back to Thailand. That means that she will have a long distance marriage from now on or her husband moves with her. We both know that option 2 is not very probable, as that money isn’t enough, if there is no “real income”

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, eggzthaioz said:

It's not about being negative, it's about the reality of living in Thailand. 

All the relatives and friends will be circling like vultures.

Thais find in it extremely difficult to say no when they're asked by family or friends for a loan. They know they probably won't get it back as well.

Hope a brother or family member isn't building the house as that would be another story.

Cheers

Tom

You are correct, I think.

I have a friend, a Thai female friend, who once told me that the thing she fears most is her family and neighbors asking for loans.

She needs all her income to pursue her plans for her and her son.

She counts every Baht, and saves what she can, planning for a brighter future for her and for her son.

She is super fearful of friends and family asking for loans.

Although I have lived here for quite a while, I did not realize that there is this problem.

In Taiwan, yes, there is a huge problem with loans that are made from friends, and from the Chinese Hui System.  I did not realize that this also exists in Thailand.

So, if someone wins the lottery, and wins fairly big...then...I can imagine what is bound to happen here.

She’d better first divorce.  Leave this 45 yr old excuse for a bum ”ex firefighter” what keeps his dear wife working day and night back in England. 

Find something better while she is still young. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 8
  • Agree 1