14-Year-Old Motorcyclist Strikes and Kills Homeless Man Sitting by a Pattaya Roadside

webfact

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:

streetlights were not working, and that they did not see the victim sitting on the road until it was too late.

looks like she is conscious in the photo, probably her helmet saved her.

IMG_2594.jpeg

Helmet?....555

• Thumbs Up 1

I know this stretch of road and they could do with more lights.

Saying that how can you not see a person, I disagree with prosecuting the parents unless they willingly let the girls drive the bike.

My daughter does the same despite my best efforts to stop her I will get reports of her being spotted on the back of her mates bike which is very worrying.

One thing they could also do is to stop anybody who doesn't have a license from driving into school and as a fair few use a bike to get to school.

My son at 15 has just started at a college and there loads of bikes in the car park, no way they all got a license so strict enforcement from schools may ensure that kids get a license aswell as parents keep driving to drum it into them how dangerous it is.

I will not allow my son to get a bike ATM even though he is constantly pestering me I make him get a Bolt taxi to school 

3 hours ago, MMCotten said:

Youthful motorcycle driver are a part of thai culture and can't be compared to western countries and western ideas,  TIT

No, they should be compared to buffaloes.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

I know this stretch of road and they could do with more lights.

Saying that how can you not see a person, I disagree with prosecuting the parents unless they willingly let the girls drive the bike.

My daughter does the same despite my best efforts to stop her I will get reports of her being spotted on the back of her mates bike which is very worrying.

One thing they could also do is to stop anybody who doesn't have a license from driving into school and as a fair few use a bike to get to school.

My son at 15 has just started at a college and there loads of bikes in the car park, no way they all got a license so strict enforcement from schools may ensure that kids get a license aswell as parents keep driving to drum it into them how dangerous it is.

I will not allow my son to get a bike ATM even though he is constantly pestering me I make him get a Bolt taxi to school 

How many Thai families could afford a Bolt taxi twice a day 5 days a week???

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LennyW said:

How many Thai families could afford a Bolt taxi twice a day 5 days a week???

Depends where they live in relation to the school, my son gets a Bolt bike and it's 50 baht each way

21 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Who's the boss, you or your 15 year old?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 2008bangkok said:

Depends where they live in relation to the school, my son gets a Bolt bike and it's 50 baht each way

If it's not to far, they could walk, that's what i did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMCotten said:

Youthful motorcycle driver are a part of thai culture and can't be compared to western countries and western ideas,  TIT

Actually, young teens on "mopeds", usually in gangs have become a huge problem in many US cities.  In NYC, they often descend on a high-end restaurant, rob customers of valuables and as the police respond, spread out all over...nearly impossible to catch

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/05/nyregion/nyc-restaurant-robberies.html

Edited by dddave

I hate to read these sad stories about those without homes.

I always think about my reading of Hugo's Les Misérables, when I was young and impressionable.

I was sad then.

I am sad now.

• Haha 1

I've long been convinced that a lot of accidents in Thailand are caused by people who should be wearing glasses when they drive but aren't, either out of vanity or having more pressing financial pressures. Thailand needs to start specifying on driver's licenses if corrective lenses are required to drive safely as a first step towards pressuring people to make sure their eyesight is adequate to drive safely.

5 minutes ago, watchcat said:

Yeah bit far for walking but yes , we all had to do that back in the day like ungrateful kids nowadays who are lazy

Keep telling my kids I did a paper round all week, 2 on a Sunday and a milk round mate on a Saturday before.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I've long been convinced that a lot of accidents in Thailand are caused by people who should be wearing glasses when they drive but aren't, either out of vanity or having more pressing financial pressures. Thailand needs to start specifying on driver's licenses if corrective lenses are required to drive safely as a first step towards pressuring people to make sure their eyesight is adequate to drive safely.

I just renewed my UK Driving Licence at 76 years old. Online I told them that I was medically fit, use glasses, and am not an alky or druggy. Got it back in six days, free of charge. Passed my test at 18, before England won the World Cup ! 555

Edited by KannikaP

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I just renewed my UK Driving Licence at 76 years old. Online I told them that I was medically fit, use glasses, and am not an alky or druggy. Got it back in six days, free of charge. Passed my test at 18, before England won the World Cup ! 555

More power to you, but I'd say that's pretty behind the times in terms of licensing standards. In most states in the US if corrective lenses are required to pass vision test it's specified on the driver's license. Also, in many states - but not all - once a driver hits senior citizen status an in person renewal application is required, and renewal periods are shortened, reflecting that driving skills often deteriorate as people age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMCotten said:

Thai law says, you need to be 15 to get a Motorcycle drivers license.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, MMCotten said:

You don't need to compare it to anything to say that these children should clearly not have been riding on this motorbike and allowing them to do so directly led to a man's death.  They objectively do not have the skill or the mentality to be responsible for riding a motorbike safely.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

More power to you, but I'd say that's pretty behind the times in terms of licensing standards. In most states in the US if corrective lenses are required to pass vision test it's specified on the driver's license. Also, in many states - but not all - once a driver hits senior citizen status an in person renewal application is required, and renewal periods are shortened, reflecting that driving skills often deteriorate as people age.

That's what I was meaning. The UK system is totally no good. Anyone can tick all the right boxes to re-new the DL, even though they are telling porkies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

The homeless guy, was sitting by the roadside, and the bike have lights, so NO, not anybody of us with the right age and a driver license could have hit him. You might be the exception, though!

The girls were riding at speed by the roadside ?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

What exactly were a 14 and 13 year old doing out at almost 11pm at night on a motorcycle? Also, who let them drive illegally on their motorcycle? 

These things have become regular occurrences in Thailand in recent years. It's about time the law came down hard on the parents. They should even put an 8 pm curfew in place for under age kids. If the parents can't control their kids the curfew should do it for them.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

They objectively do not have the skill or the mentality to be responsible for riding a motorbike safely.

True for majority of southern drivers/people here. And nobody can change this. Only electronics(radars, computers) in the future maybe.
Come on, nothing has changed in this regard for decades.
So I try don’t take it to my heart, and I don’t advise you to do it, it’s their choice to live like that - short life, but without stress(like a mayfly). But I recommend that you keep your attention doubly here, to preserve your own life.

7 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

That is the issue, Mom & Pop wake up early to go and earn a Thai wage leaving the kids to drive alone, 100 baht a day from a menial Thai wage would be a massive chunk of their daily income, this is why the police even at school gates ignore the infraction, they understand the background.

15 hours ago, watchcat said:

Pah, it's less safe to be a pedestrian here than ride a bike underaged.....

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

'They are little more than a motorized push bike'?

You've obviously never ridden a modern motor scooter, especially a PCX.

Those 'innocent victims' are underage, have no license or insurance and should never have been there.

Yes of course but it is as it is especially i rural areas, in Isaan I often see mothers loaded with shopping on the motorbike which is being driven by their 12+ years old daughters or sons, many of that age drive themselves to school. There is no point in breaking a lance on this issue.