> Jump to content

NY Attorney General Letitia James Sues Nassau County Over Transgender Sports Ban

Social Media

image.png.9043779d4f9ab24b399be3f93a30a0e1.png

In a significant legal move, New York State Attorney General Letitia James has filed a lawsuit to block a newly signed law in Nassau County that bans transgender athletes from participating in women’s and girls’ sports at county-owned athletic facilities. The lawsuit was promptly filed moments after Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman signed the legislation into law, following its passage by the local Republican-led legislature the previous month.

Blakeman initially sought to enforce this prohibition through an executive order. However, the order was overturned in court after a lawsuit filed by the New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) on behalf of the Long Island Roller Rebels. With the new law, James has joined the legal fray, aligning herself with the NYCLU, which has also filed a separate suit challenging the ban in Nassau County Supreme Court.

During a press conference, Blakeman defended the ban, asserting that it is unfair for transgender women and girls to compete against biological females due to scientific evidence indicating that biological males are generally stronger, bigger, and faster. He stated, “We’re protecting the integrity, fairness, and safety in women’s sports. It’s a matter of common sense.” Blakeman also highlighted the support of Caitlyn Jenner, one of the world’s most famous transgender individuals. Jenner, formerly known as Bruce Jenner, won the 1976 gold medal in the decathlon and has publicly supported restrictions on transgender athletes in women’s sports. “She stood here with us and said, ‘You’re doing the right thing,’” Blakeman noted, referring to Jenner’s endorsement.

In stark contrast, James argued that the Nassau ban violates New York laws that prohibit discrimination based on gender identity or expression. She emphasized, “With this law, Nassau County is once again attempting to exclude transgender girls and women from participating in sporting events while claiming to support fairness. NYCLU and the Long Island Roller Rebels won their first lawsuit, and County Executive Blakeman’s transphobic executive order was struck down because it was blatantly illegal. Now this discriminatory law must be as well.” James stressed that every person in New York has the right to be exactly who they are, free from discrimination, and vowed that her office would always protect that right.

NYCLU staff attorney Gabriella Lario echoed James’ sentiments, condemning Nassau County’s continued efforts to exclude transgender women and girls from sports. Lario declared, “It is abundantly clear that any attempt to ban trans women and girls from sports is prohibited by our state’s anti-discrimination laws. It was true when we successfully struck down County Executive Blakeman’s transphobic policy, and it is true now. This latest round of hateful legislation is unacceptable, and we won’t let it stand in New York.”

The controversy in Nassau County mirrors a national debate over transgender athletes competing in women’s sports, with conservatives typically supporting such bans and liberals opposing them. Blakeman claimed that he has received support from lesbian athletes and has not encountered opposition from the LGBT community in Nassau. He contended, “There are a few people out there with a narrow view who say this is an anti-transgender bill — and it’s not.”

A Siena College poll conducted in April found that 66% of New York voters support a ban on transgender athletes competing against girls, while 27% oppose such measures. The poll indicated that support for the ban spans across party lines, racial, ethnic, and regional demographics, with only self-identified liberals generally opposing it.

Credit: NYP 2024-07-17

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6

I agree males shouldn't compete on women’s teams .competing against women is fine,reading between the lines on this one it appears to me it’s a squabble over the (letter) of the law in regards to discrimination .the law needs a tune up to address this problem.nothing to get hysterical about.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

No it's not. It's a very simple issue.

If you read the article, you'll learn that it is not.

There is a conflict with the New York state anti discrimination laws.

How is it fair to enforce a local law that conflicts with a state law?
You'd need to change the state law first. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Are people still really arguing about this?

Of course women should not compete against biological men. It's ridiculous. Sure, wear a dress, call yourself Joanna if it makes you happy, but don't ruin women's sports. 

I suspect Letitia has found a way to get her name/picture in the newspapers. 

You suspect wrong it’s about clarifying their non discrimination laws no more no less

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tug said:

I agree males shouldn't compete on women’s teams .competing against women is fine,reading between the lines on this one it appears to me it’s a squabble over the (letter) of the law in regards to discrimination .the law needs a tune up to address this problem.nothing to get hysterical about.

Or alternatively, the sports rules need a tune up.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

It's not really that simple.

If you did it for every event at the Olympics for example you'd extend the tournament by several days. And for what? A handful of blokes who could just as easily compete against other blokes (if they were good enough). 

Let's face it, no trans males want to compete against trans females when they could compete against women on a level playing field. So it would basically be a category for blokes who want to be women. Essentially, a load of ladyboys racing each other. 

Maybe you could add the trans category into the Special Olympics or the Paralympic games? 

No it really is that simple.

But it would rob you of your outrage.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I explained why it is not that simple. We are not talking about some over 60's bike race in San Francisco here.

I'm not outraged, but I can see why female sportspeople are when they robbed of a lifetime's work by a man in a skirt. Some of us still support women's rights. 

But Jonny, a dedicated category for transgender athletes would fix that.

Its so blindingly obvious for those not blind with outrage and indignation.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It would also make the olympics several days longer and force spectators to pay to watch a B level ladyboy race that they have no interest in.

It isn't feasible.

I'm not outraged, I'm amused by the stupidity of such an idea. 😃

• Agree 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

It would also make the olympics several days longer and force spectators to pay to watch a B level ladyboy race that they have no interest in.

It isn't feasible.

I'm not outraged, I'm amused by the stupidity of such an idea. 😃

why the fixation on ‘Ladyboys’?

Transgender doesn’t only mean from Cis male?

People being forced to watch events, that’s new.

I’ve only ever watched the events I’m interested in.

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trans women don't want their own category, they want to compete against and be treated like actual women.   To suggest that they have their own category is to see them as not women and would probably get you arrested for some kind of hate crime if you were in Scotland.   

• Haha 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

why the fixation on ‘Ladyboys’?

Because we are talking about men who want to be women. Ladyboys. You aren't going to get biological women wanting to race biological men because they wouldn't even qualify for the event. 

Transgender doesn’t only mean from Cis male?

I don't recognize the term Cis male. There are men and women. What are you referring to?

People being forced to watch events, that’s new.

I’ve only ever watched the events I’m interested in.

If you're in the stadium and the ladyboys start racing each other, you're going to have to watch it. Or do you only spectate on TV?

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Because we are talking about men who want to be women. Ladyboys. You aren't going to get biological women wanting to race biological men because they wouldn't even qualify for the event. 

I don't recognize the term Cis male. There are men and women. What are you referring to?

If you're in the stadium and the ladyboys start racing each other, you're going to have to watch it. Or do you only spectate on TV?

I’ve witnessed cis women competing against cis men throughout my years in competitive sport, often they’ve beaten the men.

Always a pleasure to expand one’s vocabulary with words that are recorded in the OED:

https://www.oed.com/dictionary/cis_adj?tl=true

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s as simple as add a category for Transgender.

But that doesn’t feed the outrage so let the games continue.

But then you'd have to create a category for asthmatics who have to take disqualifying prescriptions because it gives them a respiratory advantage.  That locked me out of competing in cross country when I was a kid.  Strangely, I didn't see it as unfair, or even think about suing.

Where does it end?  Organized tournaments with one competitor in each sport and category?  Where everyone takes home a ribbon... But no sponsorship $$$ or scholarships.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

But then you'd have to create a category for asthmatics who have to take disqualifying prescriptions because it gives them a respiratory advantage.  That locked me out of competing in cross country when I was a kid.  Strangely, I didn't see it as unfair, or even think about suing.

Where does it end?  Organized tournaments with one competitor in each sport and category?  Where everyone takes home a ribbon... But no sponsorship $$$ or scholarships.

You really do need to at least try and keep up:

https://allergyasthmanetwork.org/news/olympic-athletes-with-asthma/

8 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

No it isn't. Men shouldn't play in womens events.

That's the knee jerk simple minded answer.

But obviously trans people who have made alterations with hormones etc. have a difference from cis people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1