Expats angry at huge concessions in latest Thai visa announcements

21 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

if you stay 180 days or more... taxes !.

Stamp in your passport does not change this.

No. That's not right.

With DTV you are to leave after 180 days (or one day before). Entering again another 180 days start. Same procedure for 5 years.

However, with a retirement visa 365 days) you will be taxed.

Also: retirement visa is available inside and outside of Thailand.

DTV is only outside of Thailand available.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

So you get your retirement visa have to do a trip to the consulate in Bangkok get an affidavit for 2000 then you have to get your Visa for 2000 drive to do that then every time you want to leave the country say you want to leave the country even four times in the year that's another $4,000

• Confused 6

retirement visa extension 2000 baht per year and the 800000 in the bank account is always there and actually increases by a couple of thousand annually surely the cost of an extension and a visa run twice a year is more than 2000 baht.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

It's worth a bump on this. You are the only one who understood this. (Non immigrant long stay visa can also qualify  some people as expats for the purposes of placing lower cost expat health insurance vs. travel health insurance.) 

In even simpler language, the revised visa rules addresses the biggest tourist complaint amongst the high end and older demographic who just want to visit Thailand for 2-3 months at the most per visit without the hassle of applying for a visa.

And as the article points out Malaysia offers 90 day stays.

Malaysia is also a very beautiful and interesting country with all the attractions of Thailand for  tourists including the food and temples. Obviously it doesn't appeal to the incel/sex addict/hebephile crowds though.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

This new visa arrangement suits me just great. I hope it doesn’t change. Anyone with a marriage or retirement visa would be silly not to take advantage of it. Assuming it isn’t changed. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Tough luck expats, who do you think you are most of you are Cheap Charlie's at least the ones I encounter are. Realise it ain't YOUR COUNTRY. Well done Thailand 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Olmate said:

Deery me, only800k,that is cheap!! Seriously are u new here? 

It is cheap when you are not spending it, it is always there 5000 baht spent is expensive you have lost it forever

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Now is not the time to come off a retirement or marriage extension as changes have been indicated for September. You want to be on it in the hope of being grandfathered against any stricter requirements. Grandfathering required CONTINUOUS extensions, break that and you are a new applicant for Grandfathering criteria.

What changes have been indicated for September?

Pink

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

It is cheap when you are not spending it, it is always there 5000 baht spent is expensive you have lost it forever

Like I thought, your new here! 

Edited by Olmate

2 hours ago, G_Money said:

That is an option.

I will continue to transfer the required 65k or more every month to meet the needs for my retirement extension until I decide I’ve had enough of the Land of Smiles.

Don’t burn one’s bridges.

same same - switching this year to the 65k monthly income method and getting my 800k back. the Income Fund I invest in pays 12% per year, quarterly distributions, (that is pre-w/h tax of 10%)  . this is a great country to live in, if you (i) keep your cool and (ii) keep your wits about you.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A Non-Immigrant visa allows you to open bank accounts, obtain a driving licence and other privileges that the 60 day stamps and DTV don't support.

Also, you don't qualify for the DTV, because you are a retiree, and that is not a category that it supports.

Rubbish I acquired a bank account and driving licence on a Tourist Visa no trouble 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

If you prefer PR, fair enough but I don't understand why.

It cost you 200,000 baht? 

Do you need a reentry permit when leaving the country? 

Have had PR for 34 years now. From memory cost 20,000bt. Yes I do need a reentry permit if I leave the country, but a multi entry is valiod for 1 year.

Problem nowadays with both PR and citizenship is the ability to be reasonably fluent in Thai. Difficult for many

• Confused 1