Foreigner friend - Broken leg - No insurance - 400k+ medical bills - What next?

8 hours ago, Dan O said:

where are you getting this information from? Share a link please

I don't know if it is true or not but my wife says there have been fights between ambulance staff of different hospitals that get to an accident at the same time.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, NativeBob said:

What I saw with my own eyes in Bangkok hospitals - there's not. since 2009 till 2017. 

Are we talking about ISO certified hospitals like Rama IX, Bangkok Hospital, Piyavate, Mario and alike? 

Or papa-mama clinics?

Or Sirirat on the River? Or Chulalonkorn opposite Lumpini Park? >>>> how do those work I don't know honestly.

And, by the way, even Bangkok Christian Hospital too, doesn't have racial features.

There wasn't, Anutin, the last Govt Health Minister mandated a tier of charges for foreigners at Govt hospitals.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When I was a victim of a hit and run driver last October, the ambulance took me straight to my local government hospital.

6 broken ribs, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, many 'crush' injuries, total cost 13kbht over 4 months (including 1 month of physio), covered by my gov min m/c insurance.

But was it a 'Rescue' ambulance or an EMS ambulance from the local hospital ?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That would be interesting if you were fully recovered and could never pay the bill, would they keep you there for life ?................:coffee1:

Yeah I dunno, maybe !

I was in a coma and left in the back of a meat wagon.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mokwit said:

'fraid there is, I pay Bt250 not 50 for a doctors visit and in quoting me a price for a procedure a Doctor explained that is the Thai price, I don't know how much more the foreigner price is.

This was brought in for Govt hospitals by the last Health minister, Anutin.

It seems it is up to the Hospital's Administrator what they charge. My Govt. hospital on KC (a high tourist area) charge 300b for a doctor to 'look' at you, ( I got knocked of a M/C by a dog, and went to get the torn skin dressed, the 'Doctor' came in took a look and left 300b was added to my bill) While the one over in Trat charge not even half of that. I was told by the doctor on KC, when I brought this up, to take it up with their administrator. 

• Thanks 1

Question as have no idea

If I met with an accident and a ambulance was called  > do they not check who you are and if you have any Medical card ?  I have 2 medical cards 1 x local Government Village Hospital + Red Cross Rama 4. BKK, therefore both Hospitals have my medical records ++ on my phone I have the Medical icon EMS ambulance Service, been registered for years if called will [hope] take me to Red Cross.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Police report will allow him to claim 30kbht back from his government minimum m/c insurance.

He should have gone to a government hospital where his m/c insurance would have covered his entire bill.

If he was taken there by ambulance. He needed to tell them specifically to go to a government hospital. Normal procedure for Ambulances is to take anyone involved in an accident with foreigners to a high priced private hospital. i do not need to say the reasons why they do this as it should be obvious. $$$

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Question as have no idea

If I met with an accident and a ambulance was called  > do they not check who you are and if you have any Medical card ?  I have 2 medical cards 1 x local Government Village Hospital + Red Cross Rama 4. BKK, therefore both Hospitals have my medical records ++ on my phone I have the Medical icon EMS ambulance Service, been registered for years if called will [hope] take me to Red Cross.

Obviously important to carry emergency details on you and insurance if applicable, just on the phone won't cut it, if unconscious it's no good there

• Thanks 1