The Notorious Nana Hotel Lobby

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

Imagine the bed stains.

Lots of guys want to do it where other guys have been. A well used mattress is not only ignored, but seen as a kind of trophy.

A similar thing can be seen in bars or places like Pattaya where guys will sit right next to each other and "pretend" to oogle women, but actually be interacting with each other more then the females. It's gay.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Lots of guys want to do it where other guys have been. A well used mattress is not only ignored, but seen as a kind of trophy.

A similar thing can be seen in bars or places like Pattaya where guys will sit right next to each other and "pretend" to oogle women, but actually be interacting with each other more then the females. It's gay.

Really? 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Lots of guys want to do it where other guys have been.

It's fantasy and fetish for some I think. 

45 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I stayed at The Grace Hotel recently. Verdict: a full letter grade up from the Nana, a letter grade down from The Ambassador.

Again, truly zany tailor shop windows. I may do a photo essay. Circa '98, I recall that a lot of mongers were wearing over-tailored shirts. It's sad those peacocks have passed on. 

Bignok alert: All of the milk you wanted at breakfast. Feel free to fill up a whole glass to save money on lunch. Passable gym too.

Save your much-bragged about 40 baht gym admissions to buy your not-really-a-dentist pretend-girlfriend a second meat on a stick.

'Can't fault The Miami: on a great corner, big room, retro pool area.

Never did the Nana Hotel in its heyday. Came too late to Bangkok.

The Grace, on the other hand, was Jihadi Central for a few years. Lots of who's who from al Qaeda, Jama'ah Islamiya, Moro National Liberation Front, etc. Hambali stayed there for a while, but eventually moved to Ayutthaya, where he was picked up while planning a big attack on Bangkok hotels hosting an APEC Conference. Fortunately, I don't think the Nana Hotel was on the hit list. At least it had that in its favor.

Lots of history on those midtown sois.

Just now, roo860 said:

All she/he does is troll most topics, tries to antagonise posters. One of the new wave of posters that troll most topics. 

Noticed that. He/She/Him/Her/It/That/ makes posts trying to trigger people 90% of the time, but rarely has anything of relevance, substance or value to add. Many of the posts are broadly off-topic and are usually nonsensical. Just short 3-4 word sentences with an antagonizing tone. OCDC and ADD combined with narcotic drug use is possibly the underlying issue. Got to give it credit though. Never seen another poster receive as many sad and confused smileys on the site. Should be given an award! 🥇 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, susanlea said:

How is the toilet in Nana lobby?

As long as it's free that all that matters to you. So do add it to your list of travels. You surely won't be disappointed. It even has free toilet paper. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

As long as it's free that all that matters to you. So do add it to your list of travels. You surely won't be disappointed. It even has free toilet paper. 

How is your day going? You sound a bit frustrated. Go back to Nana Hotel lobby. See if it lifts your mood. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

I have fond memories of the Nana Hotel

tailor shop. Truly demented shirts with Nehru collars.

I would pay $100 to meet someone who says, "I only trust my luxury tailoring to The Nana Hotel".

Definitely a true gem. Text from the Nana Hotel website:

Tailor Shop 
When you visit d&d Tailors, it is like entering into your own private fashion design work shop. The highly skilled tailors are very knowledgeable about the latest fashions from around the globe. If yo

• Like 1

Just now, RSD1 said:

Definitely a true gem. Text from the Nana Hotel website:

Tailor Shop 
The highly skilled tailors.

Those highly skilled tailors could not sew a button on a shirt, it's all sent out to a sweatshop.

May as well answer Walker 88:

'Can't speak to any jihadi cells at the The Grace Hotel, but I recall Osama tee shirts being sold on Suk right after 9/11, with the slogan, ANTHRAX WAR NOW! Eventually, they were withdrawn from sale.

10 people wanted me to get them one. One suggested I wear it on the plane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Those highly skilled tailors could not sew a button on a shirt, it's all sent out to a sweatshop.

That is a true fact. And applies to most of them. Referring to that 80s-90s era, the majority of the big Sikh run tailor shops on Sukhumvit Road, between Soi 1 and Asoke, used to send all their tailoring work to a couple of double-wide shophouses at the end of Soi 4, on the right, just before the entrance to the tobacco monopoly. There were rows of sewing machines and fans spinning day and night. Presumably it was a lot of cheap, migrant labor doing the sewing. The tailor shops on Sukhumvit were/are really just glorified (high priced) fabric shops.

Not sure if that's still where all the cutting and sewing is done for the remaining tailor shops, but at that time I was told I could just purchase good quality fabric from Chinatown and take it to one of those shophouses to have it turned into a suit at very low cost. I never tried it out though. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I think Profino Suit is still there, and I endorse your comments about the quality.  I used to have collar shirts made by them.  Being 'Old Skool British, I insisted on wearing button-down collar shirts, preferably with a tie, except of course when on the beach 🙂

Wow, amazing if they are still there. The Thai man who owned it must be retired by now though. He was already in his sixties some 30 years ago. I think I had them make me some shirts and pants too. Was always very well done. Rarely needed any adjustments from what I recall. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I'm making fun of Bignok.

1 hour ago, RSD1 said:

Got it. 👍🏼

Surely you remember sparktrader/bignok/uttaradit/dolf/maybe some other names that passed me by, the artist currently known as susanlea?

Bit like Sean Combs/Puff Daddy/P Diddy/Diddy/Love etc but even more of a knob.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Same with almost all the cheap Thai clothing, especially the casual button shirts I like.

It's all the same shirt/material with a few variations (some thicker, etc. which seems to be a point of pride) with hundreds of different brand lables you will never hear of again sewn on in the same location. Cheap junk from China.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

Surely you remember sparktrader/bignok/uttaradit/dolf/maybe some other names that passed me by, the artist currently known as susanlea?

I kind of remember one named dolf who used to do battle with transam. Is he/she gone? The others don't ring a bell. 

• Like 1