One year Non O (marriage) Multiple Entry extension while in Thailand?

My multiple entry visa is valid until October 24th 2024. 

I believe any entry into Thailand before that date will provide me with 90 days of cover...?

So, can I get an extension to this visa while in Thailand to follow on from my first 90 days, as this would cover the 180 days total I plan to stay?

OR

Oct 24th (current visa expiry date) to March 1st is about 128 days.   So doing a border run before the expiry date for another 90 days of cover will leave me about 38 days short of my departure date - assuming it causes no red flags at the border as my flight is booked for feb 28th 2025 if they ask.

Would this combined with a land border crossing be an option?

I do not currently have a Thai bank account with 400k in it, although this could be arranged after I arrive if essential.

Any knowlege would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, magpie3 said:

My multiple entry visa is valid until October 24th 2024. 

I believe any entry into Thailand before that date will provide me with 90 days of cover...?

So, can I get an extension to this visa while in Thailand to follow on from my first 90 days, as this would cover the 180 days total I plan to stay?

OR

Oct 24th (current visa expiry date) to March 1st is about 128 days.   So doing a border run before the expiry date for another 90 days of cover will leave me about 38 days short of my departure date - assuming it causes no red flags at the border as my flight is booked for feb 28th 2025 if they ask.

I do not currently have a Thai bank account with 400k in it, although this could be arranged after I arrive if essential.

Any knowlege would be appreciated.

Do a border run just before it expires to get another 90 days, if you are married you can then extend that by another 60 days at immigration with your wife in attendance....

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, magpie3 said:

Yes.

Also the 60 day extension to visit wife as suggested above is also an option.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just read a recent piece of text that may mean a 90 day extension close to the end of my 1 year ME visa would not be possible.

"the Royal Gazette specifically states stamps are not to exceed the visa validity period. They tightened this up with other visas as well" - forgot to bookmark the page so can't post a link 😒

The inference is that my permission to stay ends with the visa expiry date of Oct. 24th whenever I re-enter Thailand. 

Does anyone have insight into the validity of this in the light of the current changes...?

2 hours ago, magpie3 said:

I have just read a recent piece of text that may mean a 90 day extension close to the end of my 1 year ME visa would not be possible.

"the Royal Gazette specifically states stamps are not to exceed the visa validity period. They tightened this up with other visas as well" - forgot to bookmark the page so can't post a link 😒

The inference is that my permission to stay ends with the visa expiry date of Oct. 24th whenever I re-enter Thailand. 

Does anyone have insight into the validity of this in the light of the current changes...?

That was written by a fairly new poster (he too did not have the link to the Royal Gazette), and was posted on a thread about the new DTV, (though the poster mentioned the Elite visa too). No-one apart from

that poster has mentioned a change in the rules for other types of visa.

Here is the link you could not find;  https://aseannow.com/topic/1328520-5-year-multiple-entry-dtv-visa-destination-thailand-from-2024-xx-xx/page/21/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, magpie3 said:

I think you're confused or mixed up a bit

IF you have a year-long, multi-entry VISA (that you got from a thai consulate) <- where you bounce out and back in every 3 months to get a new 90 day stamp, you can bounce out/back just before the visa expires and get a final 90 day entry stamp like always.

You can get 15 months out of a visa valid for a year 

The only EXTENSION <- inside the country you can get on a 90 day entry stamp from a Non-O visa is either a year based on marriage to a thai by showing the 400K baht in a thai bank account in your name only for 2 months, OR a 60 day one time (visit thai family) extension.

IF you do indeed have a year-long, multi-entry Non-O visa from a thai consulate you bounce out and back every 3 months to get new 90 day stamps for the validity of the visa

Edited by Tod Daniels

On 8/3/2024 at 1:36 AM, Tod Daniels said:

I think you're confused or mixed up a bit

IF you have a year-long, multi-entry VISA (that you got from a thai consulate) <- where you bounce out and back in every 3 months to get a new 90 day stamp, you can bounce out/back just before the visa expires and get a final 90 day entry stamp like always.

You can get 15 months out of a visa valid for a year 

The only EXTENSION <- inside the country you can get on a 90 day entry stamp from a Non-O visa is either a year based on marriage to a thai by showing the 400K baht in a thai bank account in your name only for 2 months, OR a 60 day one time (visit thai family) extension.

IF you do indeed have a year-long, multi-entry Non-O visa from a thai consulate you bounce out and back every 3 months to get new 90 day stamps for the validity of the visa

Thanks for the replies. Both appreciated.

I do have the 1yr multiple entry Non-O by marriage and fully intend to follow previous advice from Transam and Dr. Jack above. 

I was not so much confused as I was alarmed at the potential for border control to apply the limitation described in the post I read - admittedly I skimmed through it.

Having read the horror stories and starred in one or two of them over the last 40 years, it is clear that even seemingly 100% accurate procedural information can be subject to interpretation at Border Control.

Hence the knee-jerk plea for re-confirmation that it was just another red herring. 

:-]