American Arrested for Stabbing Australian to Death in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

So after 6 months unemployment your on ya knees !

Or you are forced to take a job kissing the boss's bum for $8 an hour or tips only 

Lovely the way it treats it citizens , 

You get 8 weeks annual because you work a University Professor job and are privileged ,the normal American doesn't get 8 weeks annual leave !!!

How about the workers who are forced up work for tips or $6 an hour because they are unskilled ,they're getting a lousy 2 weeks annual leave working in a supermarket or being forced to be Casual or on call

Rich vs poor ,shocking place ,more working poor 🥺

Six months is plenty of time to find a job.

22 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

Sad and tragic accident. Hope they learn their lesson from this. 🙏

in what way is that an accident ? 

9 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Good for you! I carried a .38 caliber revolver for a number of years when I drove a taxicab in San Francisco and made numerous citizen's arrests with it. I also shot one holdup man who had just robbed me. Bottom-line, I have dealt with all kinds of people in my life and I can tell you not to pay any attention to anyone who tries to convince that you have emotional problems for carrying a weapon of some sort to defend yourself. In fact, it has been my experience that those types of individuals are useless and can never be depended on to aid their fellow citizens if they are being attacked by criminals.

Interesting to hear different points of view and actual experiences instead of just theories. Being from U.K. I was brought up to believe that police carrying guns indicates a 'broken' society and somewhere to be avoided. U.K. police have consistently voted not to be armed. From what I've been told by retired police officers with whom I've worked, they are also opposed to long(er) prison sentences. They believe that the longer the possible sentence, the harder a criminal will fight to avoid arrest, which is dangerous for themselves and the public.

On 7/23/2024 at 7:00 PM, MangoKorat said:

There is a clear distinction between work and leisure.  Note: in the OP the guy was in a restaurant.

But you never know when you may need a knife. Even during leisure you may need to cut something. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/22/2024 at 8:34 PM, webfact said:

In a tragic incident in Krabi, Thailand, an American man has been arrested for allegedly stabbing an Australian man to death following a drunken altercation.

Why doesn't people drink at home? It's cheaper and you dont risk getting arrested or worse.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:
On 7/23/2024 at 11:58 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

If you didn't invent that "statistic", could you elaborate with specific figures that evidence your "astronomical" claim?

You, clearly, did invent your "statistic".  You should have re-read your comment that I responded to and properly read the survey that you linked, they represent two completely different scenarios.  This is what you claimed...

" The ratio of murders, fights, car crashes, general illegal activities caused by visitors to Thailand vs visitors to say Singapore, Malaysia etc per 100,000 is astronomical"!

The survey did not assess the illegal activities caused by visitors to Thailand (or any other countries), this is what the survey actually covered...

"1. This metric reflects the overall level of crime in each city.
2. This metric reflects the risk from crime, violence, terrorist threats, natural disasters and economic vulnerabilities.
3. This metric reflects the level and quality of healthcare services and infrastructure in a city.
4. This metric reflects the availability and quality of city infrastructure and its vulnerability to man-made and natural disasters.
5. This metric reflects the ability of citizens to freely use the internet without fear of privacy violations, identity theft and online attacks".

The survey showed that, in terms of safety in Southeast Asia, Thailand (Bangkok) was, in fact, a close second to Singapore and was better than Malaysia ( KL).  So your initial claim was, as I suggested, completely without foundation.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 7/23/2024 at 11:04 PM, oslooskar said:

One size fits all blanket statements like yours are usually made by idealists who have lived very narrow and sheltered lives.

Idealist, LOL, I grew up in the streets of a rough neighborhood, no knives, lots of other things to grab if losing the fight, but then again, those that chose to grab other things, ended up getting hurt worse.

You obviously carrying. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Agree 1

On 7/24/2024 at 3:17 AM, Patong2021 said:

C'mon. My friend is a fishing fanatic. He has a folding filet and deboning gizmo that he carries in his bag all the time. I have a a mountaineer utility pocket device in my side back that has a blade long and sharp enough to slice open a throat.  It also has a corkscrew that can crack a head,  multipurpose hook that Denzel Washington used to kill someone with in the Equalizer, and metal saw that can sever a finger.  It also has a saw blade, a corkscrew.   This doesn't make me a coward, just someone who can McGyver my way out of a lot of common incidents.

Like I said, anyone who needs to resort to a knife is a coward.

7 hours ago, watchcat said:

Why doesn't people drink at home? It's cheaper and you dont risk getting arrested or worse.

Yes.

Or, Drink via Internet with the Bar Girls.

Any idea how long he will sentenced in prison for in Thailand?

From whats I've read Murderers in Thailand usually get very short sentences (10-15 years) and are normally serve only half their sentence 

14 minutes ago, hydraides said:

From whats I've read Murderers in Thailand usually get very short sentences (10-15 years) and are normally serve only half their sentence 

Will he do any? The American that killed an Aussie in a Soi 6 Bar in Pattaya a few years ago got off scott free, and he had a previous murder conviction in the States

Edited by Pattaya57

On 7/25/2024 at 3:31 PM, hydraides said:

...about the same as the UK then.😉

• Confused 1

On 7/23/2024 at 9:26 AM, MangoKorat said:

Don't be so stupid.  I've lived between both countries for 22 years and never carried any sort of weapon.

There definitely has been an increase in violence incidents involving knifing in UK especially in Major cities. Just because you don't carry a knife doesn't change that fact. I don't carey one either, but i do frequently wear my Kevlar reinforced motorcycle denims, with pads, on a night out in town centre, just in case.

Edited by Cracker2000
Typo
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2024 at 12:40 AM, TedG said:

Average Salary

USA. $63,795

AU     $65,660

Not much difference in average salary

Unemployment Rate

USA 4.1%

AU   4.1%

GDP per capital 

USA $84,057

AU   $66,589

Violent Crime

USA 389/100,000

AU   290/100,000

BTW I have 8 of leaves per year. 

No one should have more than 6 months of unemployment pay less there is a reason for it.  People always magically find job when the 6 months ends. The term is often extended during recession.   

USA. $63,795 = AUS $97000 , a lot of difference, 50% more

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, delgarcon said:

USA. $63,795 = AUS $97000 , a lot of difference, 50% more

Average yearly salary in australia a aud

Based on the provided search results, here are some relevant findings:

According to the 2024 Guide, the average yearly salary in Australia is:

65,000 AUD (USD 43,754) by state (Victoria and New South Wales)

108,000 AUD (USD 73,600) in Sydney

106,000 AUD (USD 72,300) in Melbourne

104,000 AUD (USD 70,900) in Brisbane

100,000 AUD (USD 68,200) in Adelaide

The 2021 median household income (Purchasing Power Parity) in Australia was 95,371 AUD (USD 63,393).

According to Treasury figures, the median wage or salary is around 55,063 AUD per year (as of 2018).

The average full-time worker’s weekly earnings (pre-tax) are around 1,769.80 AUD, or 92,029.60 AUD per year (as of 2022).

The average salary varies by industry, with the highest being:

Science and technical services: 122,000 AUD (USD 81,398)

Mining: 2,951.80 AUD (USD 1,984.10) (as of 2024)

The lowest average salary is found in the accommodation and food services industry, with average weekly earnings of 1,397.20 AUD or 72,654.40 AUD per year.

Based on these findings, the average yearly salary in Australia is around 65,000-90,000 AUD, depending on the source and methodology used. However, it’s essential to note that salaries can vary significantly depending on factors such as industry, occupation, state, and experience.

On 7/23/2024 at 5:22 AM, Sandboxer said:

Meh. Boring nothingburger. I stopped reading at "02:00am drunken altercation".......Hardly "tragic."

If you ever see me outside at 2am in Thailand it will be stone cold sober with absolute situational awareness.

Dang. I'm seldom out after dark.