Chinese Tourist Dies After Falling From Songthaew In Pattaya

webfact

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Didn't look like it slowed down to me, looks like the poor fool stepped off a moving taxi.

Looked like it slowed down to me.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

This link has the video....But its still not 100% clear whats going on......It kind of looked like he might have thought the baht bus was stopping so he stepped off without really looking if the baht bus had stopped..

The baht bus driver did nothing crazy...

https://news.ch7.com/detail/741860

Obviously some sort of heat attack which happened just before falling out.

Driver is not involved, obviously.

This guy is HK Police.

And, we recall much about the HK Police in Hong Kong, in recent years.

• Confused 4

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Obviously some sort of heat attack which happened just before falling out.

Driver is not involved, obviously.

Heat attack,never heard of that before........driver not involved....so why did he ignore bystanders calling for him to stop....silly comments once more :whistling:

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wish that others would watch the video like you do.

1) The Baht bus (bb) didn't speed!

2) the bb did not break nor accelerate.

Not speeding away/fleeing.

3) seems the Chinese had no idea that he had to ring a bell. Maybe panicked that the bus didn't stop.

4) tried to simply jump off the driving bb.

This was intentional.

In this case I believe the driver didn't notice.

All your points are correct.

Except, he might have had a heart attack, as well.

No doubt, he saw his destination/stop approaching, but did not know how to communicate with the bus driver, and therefore decided to just "jump out and see what happens".

The bus driver was safely operating his vehicle.

The bus driver should be compensated by the HK Police Department for causing PTSD to the Baht Bus driver.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I wonder if the Chinese man and driver had an altercation, usually driver accelerates slowly away when someone gets on

No suggestion of that at all...

"Police said a surveillance camera clip shows that the tourist did fall backwards with his head  hitting the road while apparently trying to get off the vehicle".

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Suspicious that he seemed to leave the scene quickly.......link suggests the guy was trying to get off at the time.....you would expect the driver to be stopped waiting to be paid. 

The CCTV shows that the bus was moving at a steady speed, not stopping or moving off, nor any suggestion that "he left the scene quickly" and that it was not unlikely that the driver did not see him fall.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have watched both videos over several times, and read the baht bus driver's report. What seems to me strange is that nobody has suggested that the deceased passenger was actually trying to get onto a moving vehicle, not getting off at all. He was always facing in the direction the vehicle was travelling, and seems to be trying to step up onto the back step and grtab the handrail, but sadly missed. There is no indication whatever that the vehicle had stopped as if to pick up a passenger at any stage. I know that the police reports say that he was getting off, but that is not what the videos show.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Dr B said:

I have watched both videos over several times, and read the baht bus driver's report. What seems to me strange is that nobody has suggested that the deceased passenger was actually trying to get onto a moving vehicle, not getting off at all. He was always facing in the direction the vehicle was travelling, and seems to be trying to step up onto the back step and grtab the handrail, but sadly missed. There is no indication whatever that the vehicle had stopped as if to pick up a passenger at any stage. I know that the police reports say that he was getting off, but that is not what the videos show.

This scenario is highly unlikely.

HK Police could never run this fast.

The HK Cop would have had to be on horseback to keep pace with the bus, and then to grab onto the ladder in back of the bus.

(There are no horses seen in the CCTV clip.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

According to the BP he was a Hong Kong Police Sergeant, here on holiday with his family.

Yes indeed, I read that as well. Very sad for his family and my condolences to them.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dr B said:

Bizarre. Suggest watch several more times because he was clearly facing backwards (against direction of travel), stepping off the thing which is why he banged his head. Highly unlikely a sawnthaew driver would drive off (at a steady rate) and not collect his fare. Reckon the unfortunate chap just didn't know how it all worked and just stepped off, as others said. That driver didn't stop after people shouted could also be a nothing... locals can often be oblivious to noise.

• Agree 1

On the proper bus in Bangkok I've had to do a running jump to get of as they barely stop, but those are from side exit, I doubt I could jump out the back of a moving songthaew baht bus successfully

On 7/22/2024 at 5:36 PM, jacko45k said:

Suspicious that he seemed to leave the scene quickly.......link suggests the guy was trying to get off at the time.....you would expect the driver to be stopped waiting to be paid. 

The driver wasn't going fast. And didn't notice that a passenger fell out obviously. I wonder how drunk the victim was

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The guy stepped off the baht bus with his own free will....The driver did nothing wrong and is 100% innocent...

Looks like he was trying to get a free ride and stepped off hoping the driver wouldn't notice. That part of it , he was successful 

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:25 AM, redwood1 said:

99.99999999%  of people do not fall of baht buses.........But I am sure some dim bulb will say baht buses should have seat belts now...

They dont help if you would get of the vehicle.

Obvious from video: While standing facing opposite direction of bus travelling forward at constant speed, he stepped off. So the forward  momentum he had when his feet touched the ground forced his head down on pavement. Completely his fault.

• Thanks 1