Article about Thai woman returning from living in the USA

On 7/24/2024 at 10:53 AM, charleskerins said:

Many folks on here have said how extremely difficult it is for a Thai  to enter the US    a friend in the states sent me this article     asking for conjecture  how did she get in the US?

Wow . there are Thai people in the US? Perhaps the Chines are dropping them there with those balloons they claim are weather balloons. Now everything is beginning to make sence. 

But the Americans are no fools. that's why they IMO  flooded her house. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

My wife's sister was a proper pharmacist in Pattaya and asked me if I could get her a visa to the US. With the licenses, money in the bank and property, she was given a 10 year visa, but had to re-enter every 6 months to stay legal. She got a great job as a chef in a Thai restaurant in PA., makes $100/ day, pays taxes (questionable),  travels around quite a bit, and speaks perfect english now. She sends the Ms. money to keep her car in shape and to renew the insurance and tags. She's sent money here so we could build her a house on a piece of my 20 rai, money for her father and my full time worker. 

It's been about 7 years since she's been back. Like one say's "Livin' the dream".

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, Imd8ta said:

makes $100/ day, pays taxes (questionable),

Not to be to contrary, but that is a very low wage indeed. In the next few months Pennsylvania's minimum wage will rise to above $20.00 an hour.  I hope she is making a lot more and simply has not let you know.  

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, marin said:

Not to be to contrary, but that is a very low wage indeed. In the next few months Pennsylvania's minimum wage will rise to above $20.00 an hour.  I hope she is making a lot more and simply has not let you know.  

The person in question almost certainly is on a tourist visa and must work "under the table".  Employers often take advantage of the illegal workers in terms of wages and working conditions.

I did have to chuckle about the health insurance versus Medicare.

I've had Thai private insurance. It's a true insurance market, not like Medicare where you pay what you pay until you finally depart this world.

I'd ask this guy when he's 70 how those premiums are looking, if he can even get anyone to insure him!.

Then you get to exclusions.

Never get sick because from that point whatever ailed you it's excluded from your policy.

Years back my wife had a ruptured fallopian tube which required surgery. not uncommon in women

From that day forward, now Cigna excluded any and all  gyno issues from the policy.

Women have gyno issues, thats what I thought insurance was for.

So think of it like your US car insurance policy, make a claim, and just watch next years renewal invoice!

Thinking about taking my long time GF to the USA.  What do you think the odds are to get a tourist visa?  Leaving in a few weeks for America and not going to try this trip but was thinking next year for my parents 65 wedding anniversary.

We are both in our 50s (no kids ) and she has travelled 10-15 years back to England (work obtained her visa) and of course Asian countries.  She has  homes worth probably 5 million in total.  She doesn't work now other than 1-3k online income and 15,000 baht in rental income..  She only has about 600k baht in the bank.

On 8/30/2024 at 8:30 PM, Imd8ta said:

My wife's sister was a proper pharmacist in Pattaya and asked me if I could get her a visa to the US. With the licenses, money in the bank and property, she was given a 10 year visa, but had to re-enter every 6 months to stay legal. She got a great job as a chef in a Thai restaurant in PA., makes $100/ day, pays taxes (questionable),  travels around quite a bit, and speaks perfect english now. She sends the Ms. money to keep her car in shape and to renew the insurance and tags. She's sent money here so we could build her a house on a piece of my 20 rai, money for her father and my full time worker. 

It's been about 7 years since she's been back. Like one say's "Livin' the dream".

As a pharmacist in Thailand wouldn't she be ahead, money wise.