They smashed the gift that I gave. :(

On 7/25/2024 at 9:42 AM, Denim said:

I have several Thai friends and no issues. Buy their kids small birthday gifts from time to time with no problems at all , usually  something edible.

More importantly is to chose your friends very carefully.  That goes for everyone regardless of nationality etc.

You must not classify friends as such 

,one , maybe , but real friends are a dime a dozen 

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 7/26/2024 at 1:46 AM, G_Money said:

you are wrong again.

strangers have no business in buying gifts for children without consent of the parents.

too many minor attracted people in the world, especially in this day and age.

if one can’t figure that out, they’re one sick individual 

So one can't buy gifts for children as they could be minor attracted ?

That's your presumption, ridiculous 

• Like 1

What a sad world when someone buys a kid a gift and could be considered a pedophile or "minor attracted person or whatever the PC word is .

😭What has this world come too 

I remember in Australia last year I was walking with a friend in the street to see a young girl about 10yo fall over ,my friend said let's go see if she is ok 

I stopped him NO!

We could get onto trouble 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I don't think you have to be Agatha Christie to solve the mystery of why the guitar was smashed.

Personally..I believe they got drunk and used the guitar to fight each other , nothing to do with the farang ,that's what I believe 

The woman that makes and delivers my 50 baht shorts every week came and said the father went there and told her to not make or sell any clothes for any farang.

Does anyone know where to get 50 inch shorts in Pathum Thani?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

The woman that makes and delivers my 50 baht shorts every week came and said the father went there and told her to not make or sell any clothes for any farang.

Does anyone know where to get 50 inch shorts in Pathum Thani?

Well keep away from them ,they sound racist and trouble ,stay away 

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

So one can't buy gifts for children as they could be minor attracted ?

That's your presumption, ridiculous 

Children of strangers are to be avoided.  Common sense.  

Especially in SE Asia.

Edited by G_Money
  • Agree 2

People are people and sometimes very stupid.

To my Thai wife, when I wasnt there, I suggested a wheelbarrow to her, to buy, to make things easy to carry in the land.

She bought one and I was assuming she worked with it.

I came to Thailand and asked about the thing.

It was with family for months and she didnt used it at all, doing all in old way. She never told me of course.

I wanted that thing, so forced her to call family to bring it back immediately. I insisted .

In minutes, it came back. And then it was my job first to revive it again.

So they borrowed it, broke it down and didnt want to give back, it seems. And didnt care to fix it right to work.

It was a brand new thing, demolished by family, again revived by me. Not even an apology.

You see such things everywhere in the world.

I fixed Thai mom's wheelchair. The damage it had, I concluded, was purely by abuse of the wheelchair.

Guess nephews and or nieces played whit it. Cant imagine, mom did a wheelie or so with her 85 years.

However not told of course, but on damage I could conclude.

Took me some time to fix, on finding on parts and how to do so, but managed. Good boy :cheesy:

In this case the guitar smashed, a shame. If they did on purpose, how low can you sink.

Or were they drunk and sit on it or so.? But again they dont care its not theirs.

Sad for the boy, as it gave him joy and could develop to maybe a skill. Sad for you, but what can you do?

For sure to know if it was accident or not. If you want to go there again. Keep the guitar out when family men are coming.

Make that deal with the boy. I surely hope grand -, or mother didnt do it. I guess not as you had contact about this all with them.

And with kids, you always have to take care. Before you know it, these days, they think you are a pedophile, especial if you are older.

Never the less I do get kids at the door, asking me if they can do some job for a little money ! Do their parents know?

I always say no, despite weed growing in my garden, but cant take that risk.

You did a lovely act, however failed. Very sad, keep your head up !

• Like 2

On 7/25/2024 at 6:30 PM, connda said:

You don't live in my village.

On a more serious note, have you noticed how many more funerals there seem to be now, compared to, say 5 years ago?

• Agree 1

It’s really generous of you to have given him a guitar and lessons, and it’s a shame that it ended this way. Sometimes, people’s actions are hard to understand, but your kindness definitely made a positive impact on the boy’s life.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2024 at 3:11 PM, Gecko123 said:

Worth pointing out that the OP asked if anyone else has experienced a similar situation and no one has done so yet.

And 3 pages further on that's still the case.

It's unfortunate that people don't want to be involved as such in helping children anymore,but it may be understanding ( not in this particular case ) that parents could be reluctant accept help for fear of sex predators.

I recall swimming in the Condo pool in Pattaya and a very very large Scottish lady and yes I did say her body size because I wanted to not to denigrate her but...please..let me continue without interrupting...thankyou !

But she requested myself and another male leave the pool area that is the banana chairs as her 3 children were playing nearby and I immediately left unfortunately the old guy didn't leave and wanted to argue with her claiming he was a resident of the Condo building ,I also told him to leave and he told me to mind my own business!!

Think of the children I said to him , you laying in your Speedos on a banana chairs ,they could be offended .

I left and he was still arguing with the big Scottish lady 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

Here's what happened. The mother made a big deal of the nice Farang buying a gift for the boy and went in and on until the father saw red and smashed the thing. 

If some stranger bought my daughter a guitar I would also not be pleased as the father. Though I wouldn't smash it out of respect for craftsmanship and culture. But I would definitely not be happy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cameroni said:

Here's what happened. The mother made a big deal of the nice Farang buying a gift for the boy and went in and on until the father saw red and smashed the thing. 

Gift baskets
Gift baskets

If some stranger bought my daughter a guitar I would also not be pleased as the father. Though I wouldn't smash it out of respect for craftsmanship and culture. But I would definitely not be happy. 

I guess it depends on many factors.

It depends on perception too

Some would be opposite thinking to you  and happy and possibly would even think the farang is gullible and actually ask for more 😄

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 9:24 PM, JeffersLos said:

I went round to outside the kid's place and the grandmother brought out the smashed acoustic guitar, apparently the men smashed it up because it came from a farang, then left. The boy must be devastated. 

Did anybody else experience similar after giving a gift?

Maybe they had family members or friends who got chicken bones thrown at them while working in KFC?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess it depends on many factors.

It depends on perception too

Some would be opposite thinking to you  and happy and possibly would even think the farang is gullible and actually ask for more 😄

Yes, possibly. Just, as father, a total stranger buying such a substantial gift for your child does hurt the ego of the father I'm sure. He'll think, that's my kid, don't butt in and I should be the one to buy this. Imagine if it was a girlfriend, it would be totally off.