Bangkok Ranked 30th in Global Tourist Risk Index by Forbes Advisor

webfact

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's all the dodgy foreigners arriving here now, making Thailand cities very dangerous. 

The worst thing about Thailand is some of the foreigners.

Very true.

Most ordinary good Thais are calm, gentle, and friendly to the strangers.

Quite upsetting that some uneducated bad-mannered aliens take advantage of their non-confrontational attitude.

I have been here for nearly 2 decades by now.

And that is my evaluation of this kingdom and general tendency of the common people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I agree, the only real ɑsshοIes I've ever run into here have been foreigners. Most of the criminals are Russians. Maybe this article will slow down the influx. But placing 30th isn't that bad, although I think the US isn't safe either, but mostly for Americans. https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2535740/russians-top-list-of-crimes-by-foreigners

I was surprised that none of the USA cities made it into the most unsafe cities in the world. I am sure the Trump Party will be upset by the Forbes findings.

"Singapore to be the safest city for tourists, with a negligible risk score of zero. Tokyo followed with a score of 10.72, then Toronto with 13.6, Sydney at 22.28, and Zurich at 22.97..."

Regarding the theft risks, Sydney(and all of Australia) is a lot higher than Thailand

You can never leave your bags(large or small) unattended.

It can be gone in the matter of minute. Or even faster.

Often, stealing other people's stuff is done as a Game among the jobless youth.

How Do I Know IT?

I have lived in a plural states of  Australia for many years in the past.

In terms of the transparency of the system, Australia is certainly the 1st world.

But when it come to the level of the modern-day individual morality, it can look like the 3rd world unfortunately(throughout my experience  1980-90s.

Some car drivers in big cities even reportedly  toss their  (still burning)cigarettes at the nearby cyclists as a sign of hate and contempt.

And I should stress that I have never lived in any Rough Neighborhood during my residency period in Australia.

Still, I can find out this much of the ugly sides  of what you call More Advanced Nation.

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I agree, the only real ɑsshοIes I've ever run into here have been foreigners. Most of the criminals are Russians. Maybe this article will slow down the influx. But placing 30th isn't that bad, although I think the US isn't safe either, but mostly for Americans. https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2535740/russians-top-list-of-crimes-by-foreigners

foreigner bashing today are we? I can understand that as you read most news about only bad foreigners anyways. But the Thai have their fair share and it is a lot more reported than anything a foreigner does. Not to mention the petty crimes of overcharging as such. 

What bothers me is that how these people are collecting data to come to a conclusion for their survey... Are they calling foreigners in each country to make their opinion? Are they researching data from police or immigration and news services.. It seems to me that the only way to learn about the safety of being in a place is to actually be there and see for yourself. Any opinions are selfish and given the mood of the person talking to you. Any police reports are only showing what is actually reported to the police and we all know that is a very small percentage of the actual crimes committed by and to foreigners. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok has been spotlighted as the 30th most risky city for tourists in a recent assessment by Forbes Advisor, a renowned platform guiding consumer choices in various sectors including travel

How safe is it to travel in America? No country is completely safe if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about NYC, Chicago, and other American cities? 

I have heard from friends in the States that New york, San Francisco are reeling from crime… businesses closing and homeless people all over.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

....do you include yourself in that rather profound statement?

bob.

more than 180 foreigners have faced criminal charges in the southern resort province of Phuket since the start of the year, with the top three offenders being nationals from Russia, France and the United Kingdom.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2535740/russians-top-list-of-crimes-by-foreigners. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

A non-story.  Bangkok is listed as 30th "most dangerous" out of 60 cities, or inversely 31st least dangerous out of 60 cities. Pretty average really.

In the article Bangkok is 30th and Paris and Brussels are slightly safer at 31st and 32nd, but Milan at 26th and Rome at 28th are less safe than Bangkok.    

Out of those choices I know where I'd rather be!

• Like 1

Pattaya Holds a bigger Risk for tourists than Bangkok, Just read the news, And that's what this article is referring to, tourism people Coming here on holiday, not foreigners that are retired here, living here, or working here.

48 minutes ago, Zab1e said:

I have heard from friends in the States that New york, San Francisco are reeling from crime… businesses closing and homeless people all over.

Some of the American laws now encourages  people to Commit a Crime.

The perfect example is the infamous CA proposition 47.

After its introduction, mass looters' flashmobs start to ransack the retail shops openly.

And such footages are often uploaded on Youtube.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

People mention Pattaya etc as worse, only 60 major cities were evaluated, Pattaya not being one of them.

Also personal risk due to crime was very low as I would have expected. It was more to do with infrastructure, pollution, road safety etc, that is indeed poor.

All in all, I feel very safe when in Bangkok, certainly more than when I'm in London. 

• Agree 1

My recent visits to Patong and Koh Samui (after many, many visits all over Thailand during a 30 year span) has brought home to me how much Thailand has changed over the last few years. I was accosted by 3 Saudis for standing up to protect a waitress, luckily I am a big feller and all they could do was spit and whine, I had a haircut from a guy who was quite clearly Indian, I'd prefer my baht go to a Thai but there didn't seem to be any Thai barbers left locally, I was called "you handsome man" by 2 very blonde Russian hookers, the list goes on - roadside restaurants and car park cafes run by processed food vendors rather than the lovely little home-cooked surprises you used to get, fat Chinese tourists trying to walk through you on the footpaths, middle eastern tattooists etc . etc. At least all the weed shops seem to be run by Thais, but that'll be a thing of the past soon as well.

3 hours ago, Showtime said:

Maybe they included catching diseases or being overcharged as a risk.

"Bangkok’s cumulative risk score stood at 53.34, driven significantly by crime and health security concerns,"

Should have read "driven signiicantly by the views of misinformed foreigners."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Showtime said:

Bangkok is not just risky because of the people.  Think of the infrastructure and how poor it is maintained, if at all.  Not to mention the building codes, or lack of them or the enforcement of them.  Ever see thousands wires coming out of a single electrical box on the street?  Then we can move on to riding moto taxis and in cars.  Soi dogs.  The list of dangers is endless.

Drugs, morobike accidents, drowning etc. Holidaymakers. 

4 hours ago, black tabby12345 said:

Is BKK listed one of the worst dangerous towns in the world?

I have been in Thailand for nearly 20 years.

And sometimes visit the capital of this kingdom.

But have never felt that way.

If the tourist does something stupid, anywhere Can Be Dangerous.

As long as they exercise their common sense and sufficient security precaution  just like when they are back home, able to avoid many of the needless risks.

I love Thailand and that is my perception of the Bangkok.

Therefore, I conclude this sensation seeking article quite laughable.

Yes, this might be true, but this stories are about changes, and these changes are unbelievable, I can confirm. Thailand of the 80-ties was much different than today. 

The government indeed opened the floodgates, all these creepy types enter the country, fortune seekers, non-valeurs, starting all kind of businesses can not bear daylight. They have nothing to lose, in their own country everything worse, many of them excel in cyber crime, Thailand perfect country to find victims. Thai government proud of higher tourist influx numbers, what about their plan to attract high-end tourist ? The open floodgates cause the opposite to happen. 

The problem is not only in Thailand btw, also in Europe the same, crime, housing crises, governments in UK and Italy to dump these types in Africa or Montenegro, evidence of a panick level problem, everywhere. Solution, unfortunately is lots of paperwork, screening, proof of income before getting any visa. Close the borders, make it nearly impossible to enter the country if not self-reliant.

9 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I remember saying that about the Russians many months ago and being told I didnt know what I was talking about. Looks like I did know what I was talking about.

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's all the dodgy foreigners arriving here now, making Thailand cities very dangerous. 

The worst thing about Thailand is some of the foreigners.

I agree. When I stay in a cheap hotel.. I'm much more concerned about having trouble with Western tourists! 

2 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

Zurich is safe? Number of pickpockets and thieves in Zurich, Spain, France, Italy, especially in summer time, and police of no help at all!

Just a selective list.

Same problem as Thailand, foreign gangs.