Hong Kong policeman’s fatal fall from baht bus sparks safety outcry

webfact

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Classic "nanny" stater... what happened to self awareness?

'Self awareness'! Yes, for the majority, but as we all know, there is always one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2long said:

It says 'per policy' so it could possibly be even less than 500k if other claims have happened.

I'm not sure though.

Riding on the back step is illegal; if I were the assessor for the Insurance company. I'd mention this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I find it hard to believe that a grown man, standing at the back and HANGING ON, would be unable to withstand the centrifugal forces as the vehicle 'sped away'.

I have looked at the vid many times and in other reports they agree the bus did not speed away or slow down it was going at a constant speed. He stepped of IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Darwin rules the world... let's make all riders put on helmets before boarding a baht bus that might keep the idiots safer.

Helmets are rarely donned on motorcycles and no one is "made to", tho occasional fines are dolled out. Never gonna happen on baht busses. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I don't know why he would be standing on the stairs - since the vehicle was empty, and I don't see how he would have been ejected from the seat.

People do like to stand on the back step even when the bus has spare seating......human nature...but it is a little odd that he has fallen with his head toward the direction of travel. 

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking at the position of his body it suggests he has attempted to jump off whilst the bus is still moving.

I can't see how else he could end up in the position......back to the ground and head in the direction of travel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, loong said:

You are obviously privy to more information than the rest of us.
Kindly relate what you know that makes you believe that the person was an idiot.

Watch the video. The rider either fell off or tried to jump off while the baht bus was moving at a normal rate of speed.  Sorry, but an accident entirely the rider's fault.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, pattjock said:

I'm not sure if he was standing on the step behind the bahtbus when he fell off, but that is very likely. It has been illegal for passengers to use these steps while the bahtbus is moving for a long time now, but as with most Thai laws this has never been enforced.

20 years everyone rides the steps 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

The driver said he didn't know when the guy fell out the back .... 

Those roundabouts can be a bit tricky at high speed ....

He wasn't negotiating a roundabout, neither was he driving at high speed.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

BS, that's their job, hardly anyone ever gets on and off a baht bus without paying, he knew what happened.

I'm sure the other passengers would have let him know, and if the baht bus was empty he would have surely known.

He got off the bus whilst it was moving, not when it was stopped for the passenger to pay.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, loong said:
5 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Darwin rules the world... let's make all riders put on helmets before boarding a baht bus that might keep the idiots safer.

You are obviously privy to more information than the rest of us.
Kindly relate what you know that makes you believe that the person was an idiot.

"Kindly relate what you know that makes you believe that the person was an idiot".

He stepped off a moving bus, that's not exactly clever...as he proved.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This incident has prompted swift action from local police.

Swift ? always the swift something or other😀Vagueness on the action part. But be assured it will be swift.

10 minutes ago, 10baht said:

Swift ? always the swift something or other😀Vagueness on the action part. But be assured it will be swift.

Yep. it's always "swift" because they "rush" and arrive "promptly" at these incidents that always leave the local community "in a state of shock" .....blah/blah 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That's what foreigners who die mean to Thailand...

Less than that when you consider 500K is the Maximum possible payout, likely the average is far less.

Just now, mancub said:

Yep. it's always "swift" because they "rush" and arrive "promptly" at these incidents that always leave the local community "in a state of shock" .....blah/blah 😁

Early bird gets the tea money?

• Thumbs Up 1