The New ICE Engines..

I watched this vid last night, will be interesting to see the outcome, I knew Toyota was not convinced 'at this time' about EV's, and it seems others have been having their own thoughts too.....🤔.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hybrid vehicles are much better. No worries about where to charge or having to wait to charge up every time. It just adds to the time it takes to reach your destination.  EV's are unsustainable long term. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Unless it's PHEV it's a con.

People are buying hybrids because in many cases, that's all that is available.

What makes a PHEV so superior?

BTW, in answer to your statement I am misinformed:

https://cleantechnica.com/2024/04/11/unsold-chinese-evs-are-piling-up-at-european-ports/

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

They were all 'sold', and unfortunately, most sold to rental companies that went bankrupt.  Poor business planning and market analysis.   oops

So how do you explain this?

51 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Thailand shifts focus from EVs to hybrids after unsold cars pile up.

In short, the EV boom has not materialised, leaving a glut of hundreds of thousands of unsold cars in Thai warehouses.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

So how do you explain this?

First quote, my reply is in reference to EV graveyards in CH.

the rest ... I never try to explain BS.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They were all 'sold', and unfortunately, most sold to rental companies that went bankrupt.  Poor business planning and market analysis.   oops

Don't think anyone cares (owners that I know) about being virtuous.  Better performance, and less cost to 'now' buy, energize (location dependent) and maintain.   AND, if keeping till it dies, probably last longer, though yet to be proven.  Starting at 429k THB, or even 409k THB for limited time, till stock runs out.

Agree with last statement, long ways to go before most don't need the monopoly of fossil fuel for energy.   Luckily in TH, both EV & solar is very affordable.

On Topic, as always ... nothing new about any ICE.   EV now able to be mass produced at very low cost, with battery technology and cost improving almost every month.

ICE ... same same, not different

EV ... better & better everyday

ICE's evolve just as EV's do. Remember the first Nissan Almeras, that could not pull the skin off a rice pudding? Addition of a turbo improved them considerably.

In my world, I have not sold something until I have got the money in my hot little hands.

I have a real problem with EV's starting at 429k THB. BYD and MG are established brands. The el cheapos are produced by companies I have never heard of, no way of knowing whether such companies will even be around in the long term. No desire to be a lab rat.

As you have already posted you are well-heeled enough to afford 5 EV's in a row, perhaps you could purchase one of these bargains, and report back. Mind you, they do look like sardine cans on wheels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Be honest, it's a hybrid.

It's a simple fact - there is not enough raw materials available to completely replace ICE's with EV's. 30%, at best.

Hybrids make much better sense - their batteries are less than 10 kWhr, ( 20 for a PHEV ) a Tesla is 60 - 80. Much less thermal runaway risk, no range anxiety, refuelling time, raw material consumption.

Apparently there are signs in the market consumers are turning away from EV's to hybrids. It's a sensible compromise.

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Wow, it burns petrol in an engine with pistons and a gearbox.  Who would have ever thought of that!

That is revolutionary!  (pun & sarcasm intended)

These are ridiculous informercials 

I saw another "Chinese Tesla rival BYD says its new hybrid cars can go 1,250 miles without stopping for gas or charging "

I got news, I can do 2,000 miles , and do it in my garage, just simply strap on a bigger gas tank. 

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

KhunLA has already addressed that.

All those links have been discussed before, you're welcome to trawl through the forum and find where they were debunked. I, however, will not be doing that for you.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You ask how to explain that.

Easey Peasey. It's fake news.

February 7.4% of new cars were EV's

March 10.6% of new cars were EV's

April 10.8% of new cars were EV's

May 12.1% of new cars were EV's

June 13.4% of new cars were EV's.

So EV market share grew 

30% in March

2% in April

11% in May

10% in June

Don't insult my intelligence with fake news you find on the internet.

So the sources and pictures in my following post are all fake?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1334010-the-new-ice-engines/?do=findComment&comment=19099588

And don't get me started on your so called intelligence. 30% of nothing is just that, 30% more of nothing.

This is what is important

47 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Thailand now has 490,000 unsold EVs, according to the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand (EVAT), equivalent to 63% of all vehicles the country turned out in the past 12 months.

So the EVAT is shooting in their own foot and spreading fake news, according to your "intelligence"?

Edited by CallumWK
  • Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/unsold-chinese-evs-piling-ports-124500003.html

Unsold Chinese EVs Are Piling Up At Ports

93629a4ecca743d4a18c4a8729eb22a4.webp.63cb7e0f2fe32fc84d8eba54b864d4db.webp

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Electric-vehicles/Thai-subsidies-for-Chinese-EV-makers-wreak-havoc-on-auto-sector

Thai subsidies for Chinese EV makers wreak havoc on auto sector

Thailand now has 490,000 unsold EVs, according to the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand (EVAT), equivalent to 63% of all vehicles the country turned out in the past 12 months.

That is an insane level of product dumping.

They are going to have to price them cheaper than a Honda Wave to try and shift them.