UK Winter Fuel Payments Scrapped for Millions Amid Budget Cuts

Social Media

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Certainly a factor. Bht55/£1 in May 2016. Pound fell back to 45 after referendum. Not been close to Bht50/£1 since.

The expansion of EU from a decent trading block to a gravy train had a bigger impact. Just look at the pound decling as more countries were allowed in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here's your question again: 

image.png.9ec2e2a50c7620c7707d3fefa1471c59.png

Was your reply based on the fact that private insurance isn't technically paying doctors? That it's the insurers who pay? That's a pretty misleading reed on which to anchor your argument. The point being of course, that a rising number of Britons are so dissatisfied with the NHS that they are paying additional funds out of their own pockets to patronize private care. But even by that misleading standard of yours, according to the article, private payments directly to doctors have also risen to record levels.

No. It was in relation to the post I quoted. You taken it out of context.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here's your question again: 

image.png.9ec2e2a50c7620c7707d3fefa1471c59.png

Was your reply based on the fact that private insurance isn't technically paying doctors? That it's the insurers who pay? That's a pretty misleading reed on which to anchor your argument. The point being of course, that a rising number of Britons are so dissatisfied with the NHS that they are paying additional funds out of their own pockets to patronize private care. But even by that misleading standard of yours, according to the article, private payments directly to doctors have also risen to record levels.

They are not dissatisfied with the NHS, they just don't like the wait. The NHS cannot have an expert on hand for everyone, instantly, it is impossible, plus the costs are impossible for what you want to happen.... 🤒

Now if you want it to happen, then double taxes, that'll do it....But we don't want to do that, the well-off can pay if they want........

My chum has not long ago gone back to the UK to get sorted, he is getting sorted, as he needs to be sorted in emergency style, yes, the NHS does work...:clap2:

23 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I currently live in UK. Don't give a hoot what's happening in Belgium.

If you are happy with the level of provision that's up to you, but then don't claim that, "it's not as bad as some like make out". That is a relative judgement: some people might believe that things are worse than reported.

• Agree 2

This will be very beneficial for lowering the risk of Global Warming.

Stop with the heating of houses!

Stop adding C02 to our atmosphere.

We should not be incentivizing increased use of fossil fuels to heat houses, anyway.

11 minutes ago, RayC said:

If you are happy with the level of provision that's up to you, but then don't claim that, "it's not as bad as some like make out". That is a relative judgement: some people might believe that things are worse than reported.

It's not a belief and it's not based on what is reported. It's based on experience.

38 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The expansion of EU from a decent trading block to a gravy train had a bigger impact. Just look at the pound decling as more countries were allowed in.

Untrue.

The pound actually rose against the baht after the expansion of EU membership in May 2004 and January 2007.

In contrast, the pound declined by 10% against the baht following the 2016 referendum.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

It's not a belief and it's not based on what is reported. It's based on experience.

Once again, fine; you are happy with your personal experience. 

In your opinion, "it is not as bad as some people like to make out". There are people who don't share that view.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

They are not dissatisfied with the NHS, they just don't like the wait. The NHS cannot have an expert on hand for everyone, instantly, it is impossible, plus the costs are impossible for what you want to happen.... 🤒

Now if you want it to happen, then double taxes, that'll do it....But we don't want to do that, the well-off can pay if they want........

My chum has not long ago gone back to the UK to get sorted, he is getting sorted, as he needs to be sorted in emergency style, yes, the NHS does work...:clap2:

"They are not dissatisfied with the NHS, they just don't like the wait."

Thanks for the laugh.

I could just see some company claiming, "We're not losing custom because shoppers are dissatisfied with our offerings. They just don't like waiting in long, slow lines."

Edited by placeholder
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. It was in relation to the post I quoted. You taken it out of context.

If you have a genuine objection, you should back up that claim with reasoning.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, RayC said:

In your opinion, "it is not as bad as some people like to make out". There are people who don't share that view.

In fact, there is a huge amount of actual verifiable evidence the contradicts youreavinalaff's claims. I don't understand why some people believe that alleging facts based on personal experience on issues of public policy is valid evidence. That kind of personal unconfirmable "evidence", if it can be dignified as such,  should be reserved for forums about home repairs and similar forums.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

If you have a genuine objection, you should back up that claim with reasoning.

Objection? No. It's in relation to the post I quoted. If you can't get your head around that, it's not my fault.

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Indeed there are. That's the whole point of my comment. Do try to keep up.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Medical  tourists should be restricted from having free NHS treatment  

• Agree 1

The scrapping of winter fuel payments (and much else still to be declared) can be attributed to the "Need for a Stronger Response to Russia"… After all, you cannot both keep your cake and eat it.

The so-called defence industry [BAE and others] must continue to reap the whirlwind profits to which they have become accustomed since at least the commencement of The War on Terror.

Priorities must be established.

The fact that the hugely misled common people, including pensioners, have had next-to-no-say in establishing budget priorities, speaks volumes for the level of democracy in the UK (and elsewhere).

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

More of the same. Claiming it's in relation but not explaining how it's in relation. You've got nothing.

Look back at the posts. You'll see what I'm talking about. It in relation to the post I quoted. Were it not, I wouldn't have quoted it.

I'm not sure what it is I claim to have had.

17 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Medical  tourists should be restricted from having free NHS treatment  

He's not a medical tourist. The clue is when Transam says "went back to UK". He appears to be a UK citizen.

Edited by youreavinalaff

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

He's not a medical tourist. The clue is when Transam says "went back to UK". He appears to be a UK citizen.

People going  to the UK just to get free medical treatment are known as medical tourists , doesn't matter where they come from , they are going to the UK for free medical treatment 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Indeed there are. That's the whole point of my comment. Do try to keep up.

Your original post: 

"Here in UK my wife has a doctors appointment today. Booked it last week. My father is due an op. On the waiting list for 4 weeks already, due on 27th August.

It's not as bad as some like to make out."

Based on your family's experience you therefore conclude that waiting times are not as bad as some people claim. No nuance, no acknowledgement that other people's experiences may have been different. The clear implication of your post is to suggest that others are complaining unnecessarily.

You will, no doubt, state that you didn't say that and that I am misinterpreting your position. Factual true you didn't state that explicitly, but given that I am not alone in my interpretation it might suggest that you should try to be less ambiguous in future.

Imo you are being disingenuous. Still, I suppose that it is better than stating outright lies as did regarding £/baht exchange rates in another post.

Edited by RayC
Clarification
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

People going  to the UK just to get free medical treatment are known as medical tourists , doesn't matter where they come from , they are going to the UK for free medical treatment 

Is it free? 

If a UK citizen has paid years of income tax and NI, is it free?

The answer is NO.

Edited by youreavinalaff

57 minutes ago, RayC said:

Your original post: 

"Here in UK my wife has a doctors appointment today. Booked it last week. My father is due an op. On the waiting list for 4 weeks already, due on 27th August.

It's not as bad as some like to make out."

Based on your family's experience you therefore conclude that waiting times are not as bad as some people claim. No nuance, no acknowledgement that other people's experiences may have been different. The clear implication of your post is to suggest that others are complaining unnecessarily.

You will, no doubt, state that you didn't say that and that I am misinterpreting your position. Factual true you didn't state that explicitly, but given that I am not alone in my interpretation it might suggest that you should try to be less ambiguous in future.

Imo you are being disingenuous. Still, I suppose that it is better than stating outright lies as did regarding £/baht exchange rates in another post.

My point, the comment I quoted, was that those from afar are commenting on what they read. Not from personal experience. 

How can someone who lives in a foreign country, and has done for decades, know more than someone with real experience?

Answer, they can't.

Your opinion? It is just that. That's fine. 

I don't recall lying about anything. For you to suggest I'm a liar is somewhat defamatory.

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

My point, the comment I quoted, was that those from afar are commenting on what they read. Not from personal experience. 

How can someone who lives in a foreign country, and has done for decades, know more than someone with real experience?

Answer, they can't.

Your original post offers no qualification re residence or anything else. It is just a categorical statement.

If you have changed your mind and now wish to introduce nuances that's fine, but let's not pretend that was the original point.

Your opinion? It is just that. That's fine. 

Thanks 

I don't recall lying about anything. For you to suggest I'm a liar is somewhat defamatory.

The post in question is shown below. It is incorrect therefore it is not defamatory to call it as such.

"The expansion of EU from a decent trading block to a gravy train had a bigger impact. Just look at the pound decling as more countries were allowed in."

What better way to fund mass immigration than letting British pensioners (who have paid into the system for decades) freeze to death?

Bravo Sir Keir.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What better way to fund mass immigration than letting British pensioners (who have paid into the system for decades) freeze to death?

Bravo Sir Keir.

Those old people do take up much needed housing 

• Haha 1