Internet speed

Probably a stupid question, but would it increase my internet speed / make things more stable if I connect a fiber landline and wifi at the same time? Or does the computer select one or the other?

@Kenny202 When you plug the LAN cable into your computer, I think the signal from it would be setup to take preference over the WIFI signal.

You would need fairly sophisticated electronics diversity to capture and combine all the higher signal points of each signal.

Not being any faults, fibre landline should always be faster.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Probably a stupid question, but would it increase my internet speed / make things more stable if I connect a fiber landline and wifi at the same time? Or does the computer select one or the other?

Can you describe more accurately how you get your internet service?

Do you have True, AIS or 3BB service that includes a router with WiFi and with a few ports to connect via LAN/ethernet network cable?

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Can you describe more accurately how you get your internet service?

Do you have True, AIS or 3BB service that includes a router with WiFi and with a few ports to connect via LAN/ethernet network cable?

Yes....True, fiber service that includes a router with WiFi and with a few ports to connect via LAN/ethernet network cable. I am connected to it via LAN cable and can also connect Wifi to the same router

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Yes....True, fiber service that includes a router with WiFi and with a few ports to connect via LAN/ethernet network cable. I am connected to it via LAN cable and can also connect Wifi to the same router

Connecting the WiFi as well as the LAN cable will not speed up your internet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The most direct method for using two high-speed internet connections on a home network is to install a router specifically designed for this purpose. Multihoming routers feature two or more WAN interfaces for internet links. They handle both the fail-over and load balancing aspects of connection sharing automatically.https://www.lifewire.com/home-network-sharing-two-internet-connections-817722

Depends.

Assuming the device, cable and LAN port support 1,000 Mbps (1 GbE), then that may be fastest.

Assuming the WiFi device and router supports WiFi 6, then WiFi speeds would be in the 500 Mbps range.

My TV only supports 10/100 ethernet (wired), so I get better performance over WiFi.

I'm not sure about "order" but suspect wired ethernet would be the default if a cable is plugged in and is actively connected to the router and/or internet?

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Try it both ways using a speed test and see for yourself.

This is the obvious solution to the OP's question(s).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, lou norman said:

The most direct method for using two high-speed internet connections on a home network is to install a router specifically designed for this purpose. Multihoming routers feature two or more WAN interfaces for internet links. They handle both the fail-over and load balancing aspects of connection sharing automatically.https://www.lifewire.com/home-network-sharing-two-internet-connections-817722

Interesting article thanks although it is not what the OP was asking :thumbsup:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is the make and model # of the wireless router they gave you ?

what is the make and model # of the client device you are running the speed test from ?

On 7/31/2024 at 8:22 AM, Kenny202 said:

Your computer will automatically use the lan connection. If that connection drops, it will fall back to the wifi. 

Is the wifi you're connecting to in the same router you're plugged in to?

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

Your computer will automatically use the lan connection.

This is not the case for Mac OS.  The user can set the order of preference between multiple internet connections by dragging and dropping the interfaces in the Network settings screen.

Edited by gamb00ler
spelin