Korean tourist vanishes with free rent and cash in Pattaya

snoop1130

korean-fraud2.jpg

A Pattaya rental room operator was left high and dry by a cunning Korean tourist.

A 49 year old owner of a rental room on Soi Chaloem Phra Kiat 11, Pattaya 3 Road, shared his experience yesterday, August 1, to caution other rental operators. Arinthat provided CCTV footage showing the face of the elusive Korean man who swindled him.

Arinthat recounted that the Korean tourist, 48 year old Hin Kyung Mo, rented a room on July 17, paying rent until July 21. After that, he stopped paying, claiming his wallet and passport were lost. He said he was waiting for friends to help him in three days, but when they didn’t show up, he claimed he couldn’t contact them.

On July 31, the Korean man said he needed to visit the embassy for help with his passport and documents. Arinthat kindly called a taxi for him. However, the Korean man asked to stop at a convenience store for five minutes and then vanished, leaving the taxi waiting for over 30 minutes. This entire episode was caught on CCTV.

“I feel hurt because, on July 21, he said he had no money for food, so I lent him 1,000 baht. During the long holiday, he borrowed another 3,000 baht, saying he would contact the embassy but was unsuccessful. Yesterday, he said he ran out of money and needed to go to the embassy again, so I gave him another 2,000 baht before he disappeared.”

The landlord mentioned that he had previously helped other tourists, who always repaid him once they contacted their families. This time, however, was different. When he went to file a report at Pattaya City Police Station, the police refused to accept it, stating it didn’t constitute a legal offence as he had allowed the man to stay voluntarily, reported KhaoSod English.

“I want to warn other rental operators to be cautious of scammers. We try to be kind to tourists but end up being treated like this.”

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod English

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-08-02

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Thai police at their best again. They are truly a bunch of clowns.

What did the Korean do that was illegal in the circumstances as described?  What would you suggest that the police did from a legal point of view- rationally.   It seems that it is not the police who are the clowns in this case.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I feel hurt because, on July 21, he said he had no money for food, so I lent him 1,000 baht. During the long holiday, he borrowed another 3,000 baht, saying he would contact the embassy but was unsuccessful. Yesterday, he said he ran out of money and needed to go to the embassy again, so I gave him another 2,000 baht before he disappeared.”

I know it's a cliché but - no good deed goes unpunished.

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The landlord mentioned that he had previously helped other tourists, who always repaid him once they contacted their families. This time, however, was different. When he went to file a report at Pattaya City Police Station, the police refused to accept it, stating it didn’t constitute a legal offence as he had allowed the man to stay voluntarily, reported KhaoSod English.

Nice RTP... shame they didn't have the same compassion as the landlord who had shown some charity.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Actually the landlord is the clown, lending money to someone who has already defaulted on the rent.

Nothing to do with the police.

The above was amazingly stupid. You will fit right in the story.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What did the Korean do that was illegal in the circumstances as described?  What would you suggest that the police did from a legal point of view- rationally.   It seems that it is not the police who are the clowns in this case.

Surely not! You are probably going to say the landlord is. That´s just not true, as he tried to be kind and help. Also, he will not be sad too long time over a couple of thousands. Right of him to make a warning though.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, Celsius said:

Like British 

Or Oz, who are born with criminal blood!😁

I would have thought they could put a flag on the guy's passport (probably not lost after all). Why the police cannot help I don't know, sounds the same as skipping out on a hotel bill. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Why the police cannot help I don't know, sounds the same as skipping out on a hotel bill. 

Hotels have money to pay for the services of the BIB.

Apparently this guy didn't want to wake them up with some "tea money".

Some jurisdictions have specific laws against defrauding an innkeeper or restaurant.  I'm surprised Tailand diesn't, considering how large the tourist industry is. 

In Nevada in the U.S., what the Korean did would have been a criminal offense.  From the Nevada state penal code (Nevada Revised Statutes):

NRS 205.445  Defrauding proprietor of hotel, inn, restaurant, motel or similar establishment.

1.  It is unlawful for a person:

(a) To obtain food, foodstuffs, lodging, merchandise or other accommodations at any hotel, inn, trailer park, motor court, boardinghouse, rooming house, lodging house, furnished apartment house, furnished bungalow court, furnished automobile camp, eating house, restaurant, grocery store, market or dairy, without paying therefor, with the intent to defraud the proprietor or manager thereof;

(b) To obtain credit at a hotel, inn, trailer park, motor court, boardinghouse, rooming house, lodging house, furnished apartment house, furnished bungalow court, furnished automobile camp, eating house, restaurant, grocery store, market or dairy by the use of any false pretense; or

(c) After obtaining credit, food, lodging, merchandise or other accommodations at a hotel, inn, trailer park, motor court, boardinghouse, rooming house, lodging house, furnished apartment house, furnished bungalow court, furnished automobile camp, eating house, restaurant, grocery store, market or dairy, to abscond or surreptitiously, or by force, menace or threats, to remove any part of his or her baggage therefrom, without paying for the food or accommodations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CHdiver said:

It's actually a civil matter.  Has nothing to do with police. Police is not a bill collector. 

Last time I checked, THEFT of SERVICES (i.e. daily room rental charge) is a crime (theft) and can be reported and the suspect can prosecuted for doing a runner.  However, TIT and your mileage may vary (according to your connections, inner circle, ability to hand out brown envelopes, make donations etc.)

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Trust nobody .

Fail Fall GIF

9 hours ago, CHdiver said:

It's actually a civil matter.  Has nothing to do with police. Police is not a bill collector. 

You lend somebody money , he pays not back. Usually if you lend money, you will draw a contract, there it's stipulated what happen with the money is not paid back. Now if you do not have a contract you will learn to make one next time.

May be wherever you come from but in Thailand it is a Police matter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:
10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Surely not! You are probably going to say the landlord is. That´s just not true, as he tried to be kind and help.

No, I did not say that it was the landlord that was the clown but you did suggest that the police should have done something about a situation that apparently involved no criminal offences...

"the police [stated] it didn’t constitute a legal offence as he had allowed the man to stay voluntarily".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Actually the landlord is the clown, lending money to someone who has already defaulted on the rent.

Nothing to do with the police.

Absolutely.   And he voluntarily allowed the man to continue living there even though he knew that he had no money, neither did he present him with his bill and tell him to settle up and leave.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There does seem to be some form of gaining services or pecuniary advantage by deception, as it was intentional. Either by getting the room or the taxi.

Now whether that is a crime in Thailand is another matter.

I wonder if the police would have pressed charges if it was one of their own who had lost out in this.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the Korean man asked to stop at a convenience store for five minutes and then vanished, leaving the taxi waiting for over 30 minutes. This entire episode was caught on CCTV.

So what about the Taxi isn't not paying the fare illigal ? Ah but was the meter turned on? Taxi drivers normally report people doing a runner, but if no meter on then .........

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolutely.   And he voluntarily allowed the man to continue living there even though he knew that he had no money, neither did he present him with his bill and tell him to settle up and leave.

The man did a runner, no chance to present his bill.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

The above was amazingly stupid. You will fit right in the story.

Sorry, as English is my first language, I haven't a clue what point you're trying to make.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Sorry, as English is my first language, I haven't a clue what point you're trying to make.

That´s sad to hear. Maybe you should train on your understanding capacity, then.