Teen dies in Udon Thani train-motorcycle collision

snoop1130

train02-08-02-1.jpg

A tragic accident occurred when a train collided with a motorcycle at a prohibited crossing, resulting in the death of a 19 year old woman. Despite warning signs, locals frequently use the shortcut between two communities in Udon Thani.

Police officers from Mueang Udon Thani Station received a report of a fatal collision involving a train and a motorcycle. The incident happened at a railway crossing between Thung Sawang and Nong Tao Lek communities in the Makkhaeng subdistrict.

Upon arrival, police found a locomotive, number 4520, transporting containers from Laem Chabang to Nong Khai. Following the accident, the train reversed into the Udon Thani railway station.

At the scene, a blue Honda Giorno motorcycle was found off the side of the tracks. Nearby, the body of a 19 year old woman, dressed in her school’s purple and white sports uniform, was located. The victim suffered a broken neck, with blood visible from her nose and mouth.

A resident recounted seeing the young woman riding her motorcycle, attempting to cross the railway as a shortcut between the communities. Just as she was about to clear the tracks, the train struck the rear of her motorcycle, propelling her nearly 10 metres and causing her immediate death. The train dragged the motorcycle to a stop near the victim’s body.

“I was shocked when I saw the accident happen right before my eyes. This area has a warning sign from the railway authority stating, ‘Danger. Do not cross this area with any vehicles. The railway authority will not be responsible for any accidents. Additionally, if railway property is damaged, you will be held accountable.’”

Despite these warnings, locals from both communities continue to use the crossing regularly, as it serves as a convenient shortcut. Residents shared that numerous accidents, resulting in injuries and fatalities, have occurred at this location, reported KhaoSod.

“Even though there are signs prohibiting crossing, people still use this shortcut frequently. It’s a dangerous spot, and we’ve seen many accidents here.”

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-08-02

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Live by the sword, die by the sword. I'll never understand why but Thai people routinely make risky choices driving which could easily get them killed. Either they can't control their emotions or think the risk is worth it. 

33 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Sorry but accidents are not avoidable, this was.

Crossing at an illegal crossing point is just plain stupidity.

What I don't understand is the trains are notoriously slow, how did she not see it.

because she was probably trying to make the crossing before the train so she didn't have to wait. It's poor emotional control at the root of much of the bad driving.

2 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

What I don't understand is the trains are notoriously slow, how did she not see it.

Sorry but accidents are not avoidable,

of course accidents are avoidable, e.g. guy drinks alcohol, drives, has an accident - easily avoidable; don't drink and drive.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Live by the sword, die by the sword. I'll never understand why but Thai people routinely make risky choices driving which could easily get them killed. Either they can't control their emotions or think the risk is worth it. 

Using these shortcuts probably worked millions of times without incident.  We only hear about it when it doesn't work. Because someone was too careless or just had a mental lapse. 

What I am saying is, I do take shortcuts and things like this. But I am fully aware of the dangers every single time

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

She was either racing the train or her mind just filled in something that wasn't in reality. This does happen. Our brains can just fill in a detail if we are so to expect an outcome. Maybe for most of her life, she crossed that spot when it wasn't train time. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

Sorry but accidents are not avoidable,

of course accidents are avoidable, e.g. guy drinks alcohol, drives, has an accident - easily avoidable; don't drink and drive.

Your example is not an accident, it's a crash caused by drunk and reckless driving.

The police don't arrest drivers for accidents. 

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Beside the point.

But it does make one wonder how much more of the information is incorrect, not only this article, but many others. Hey, TIT !

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A resident recounted seeing the young woman riding her motorcycle, attempting to cross the railway as a shortcut between the communities. Just as she was about to clear the tracks, the train struck the rear of her motorcycle, propelling her nearly 10 metres and causing her immediate death. The train dragged the motorcycle to a stop near the victim’s body.

This is not an accident... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

locals frequently use the shortcut between two communities in Udon Thani.

Knowing this, cannot the authorities find a solution for safe travel between the communities? 

14 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

The young girl was stupidly trying to cross the tracks when a train was coming, how did she not she the train?

probably looking at her mobil phone  after all tik tok vuds are much more important than paying attention 

I tell my wife all the time..  Thais drive like crows fly ..   shortest direct route from point A to point B

don't blink an eye  for crossing tracks,  highway dividers,  no U turn permitted,  red lights  you name it !

On 8/2/2024 at 11:27 PM, MalcolmB said:

Probably an accident 

The word accident is probably one of the most misused words to describe this kind of incident - death by misadventure would be the legal term in English law and far more appropriate in this situation as it should be quite clear to this girl that a train was coming but she misadventured to think she could outrun it.