Thailand unveils new visa rules, sparks mixed reactions

1 hour ago, BakedPanda said:

Some people are really clueless. Barely anyone will lose jobs, the jobs only change. That's happened ever since Google is a thing with Online work. 

Sure , you just watch.

The changes that are a coming, will be nothing,  like the world has every seen before.

There is no yard stick for comparison.

Good luck, with your back pack,  laptops and full moon parties. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Presnock said:

Well since the UN began their initiatives in human rights and female empowerment at odds with the traditional role of women creating families, both developed and developing countries don't want to go back to the traditional family values with women focused on bearing children.  One can see the resulting deographics, meaning that the populations age without as many children needed to just maintain the numbers of citizens, and then one can see how bad it can get - i.e. Japan having to recall retirees to the workforce, Korea predicting a 100% fall in the number of citizens as the young-to-middle aged folks now are not dating as much, not getting married (nor planning to), no kids if they do get married and having to work 2 or 3 jobs just to live a poor life, and we can't ignore Thailand either - they are predicting that in 20-30 years the population will be less than half that of today.  I am sure other countries' data would agree with this - especially any country that is hostile to immigration numbers needed to keep the low-paid jobs that the locals really do not want to do filled.  Then, since the pandemic and total closures of most jobs, and subsequent closures of so many offices, manufacturing plants, etc., many of those trying to re-establish that business have failed.  Many workers have not returned to the work force for many different reasons I guess.  Now it does appear that we might be entering a world depression.  We have an election in the US with candidates as far separated in platforms as the citizenry is too with many on both sides saying that they will not accept a loss to the other side.  I myself is not too concerned for myselt as I am an old man of the past out in the pasture so too speak but my wife and kids will have to face what comes.  I can only hope the best for them and try to prepare them for whatever comes about.  At the same time we expats here and probably in other lands too are possibly going to go through some turbulent years too both political and financial.  I do with the best for all their families too.

You mentioned somewhere in the mess above that you are old but that can't explain away what you typed.  Medicated?

On 8/6/2024 at 10:19 AM, geisha said:

What is not clarified is, for the 60 days exempt, do you need a return ticket or not ? The article says the “ immigration officer might ask for one” !!  But by then it’s too late surely ? Saves a lot of questions and phantom flight out.  Why not write the rules clearly ?

Yes, you need it. You've always needed it. The airline may refuse boarding without it and actually will in some countries like Philippines.

10 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Thank you for posting that image from the website of the Thai embassy in London, UK.

I see they were in the habit of posting false information already in 2019, possibly even earlier.

I wonder how the people at that embassy get selected for their jobs.

Edited by Puccini
Corrected a typo
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, atpeace said:

You mentioned somewhere in the mess above that you are old but that can't explain away what you typed.  Medicated?

Never medicated, haven't even had a headache this century truly!  not even aspirin - healthy and lucky.  But, a boomer that just doesn't understand why all the negative changes in society since I grew up.  Can't be good changes as no one seems to be happy and the only response people have is violence.  I have been to war and it is ugly but that was soldier to soldier, not civilian nor man against women and children.  Guess it may have been there before, just not publicized with all the social media of today.  Anyway - take care be safe have a great day!

On 8/6/2024 at 5:12 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Well.. they did a 180 on that one... pun intended. I wonder if immigration officers at the airports are aware of this...

"You can enter as many times as you like..." as long as IOs, esp. at airports, grant you this privilege.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Puccini said:

Thank you for posting that image from the website of the Thai embassy in London, UK.

I see they were in the habit of posting false information already in 2019, possibly even earlier.

I have seen the 6 month period in many other places. If you go on the Thai E Visa website now and look up tourist visa, the multiple entry version is also limited to 6 months validity. 

Evidence appears to be that immiration officials do not know or enforce this 6 month rule with flight arrivals, but if they wanted to find a reason the 6 month period may be used.

Edited by Cameroni

On 8/5/2024 at 9:30 PM, MalcolmB said:

I have to say the visa rules in Thailand are a big plus with many options. Something for everyone.

It is not a two way street though, a Thai who wants to visit the UK has to perform backflips through hoops to have a chance of maybe getting a visa after considerable expense and a pile of paperwork.

It is very racist.

How is it racist for each country to have their own rules?  You really think the UK's rules aren't based on an understanding of what Thais do once they have a visa?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Puccini said:
On 8/7/2024 at 10:06 AM, Cameroni said:
Expand  

Edited 14 hours ago by Puccini

Indeed - following that link today, that is STILL what the London Embassy site shows ie 30 days having not been updated since August 2019

BUT.....if you STAY on the London Embassy site and navigate to "Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme" and press this button:

image.png.cbf69edc65380ccba98387ed721b380d.png

you will end up at  https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/exemp-visa 

There you will see:

image.png.560342841769a625473755ea719aac06.png

So how the hell does a prospective tourist have a clue?

Edited by VBF

On 8/8/2024 at 7:04 AM, Presnock said:

Never medicated, haven't even had a headache this century truly!  not even aspirin - healthy and lucky.  But, a boomer that just doesn't understand why all the negative changes in society since I grew up.  Can't be good changes as no one seems to be happy and the only response people have is violence.  I have been to war and it is ugly but that was soldier to soldier, not civilian nor man against women and children.  Guess it may have been there before, just not publicized with all the social media of today.  Anyway - take care be safe have a great day!

Nice reply - Thanks. 

The changes are far from all negative.  As you mentioned wars are terrible and there are far fewer of them now compared to your generation.  Society is  much more accepting to people of different races, sexual preference, and countless other things .  You are seeing a past and forgetting the bad parts of it.  Lots of aggression in the past but as we become more successful materially the aggression seems to diminish.  

I do agree with you about the lack of happiness and not sure why people are unhappy.  maybe their addiction to quick fixes that the online world promotes.

On 8/6/2024 at 8:07 PM, Cameroni said:

Only if the immigration officer is not aware of the rule that you can stay a maximum of 6 months in a calendar year on the visa waivers. This 6 month rule has no changed, has it? Though indeed most immgration officers would probably be unaware of it.

There is no such rule. False information. Next.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

There is no such rule. False information. Next.

Yes there is. It is on the UK website of the Thai government. Also if you look at the evisa website you will see that tourist visas are also only possibe within a 6 month period.

On 8/14/2024 at 1:35 PM, Cameroni said:

Yes there is. It is on the UK website of the Thai government. Also if you look at the evisa website you will see that tourist visas are also only possibe within a 6 month period.

Absolute rubbish. False information. There is no such rule or law 100%. Show me the actual law that states this - it doesn't exist.

P.S. I am currently on a more stable visa, but I lived in Thailand on exempts and tourist visas from 2016 to 2020. There is no actual law or rule and it's totally at the discretion of the IO.

Edited by PingRoundTheWorld

46 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Absolute rubbish. False information. There is no such rule or law 100%. Show me the actual law that states this - it doesn't exist.

P.S. I am currently on a more stable visa, but I lived in Thailand on exempts and tourist visas from 2016 to 2020. There is no actual law or rule and it's totally at the discretion of the IO.

That doesn't suprise me, all the evidence is that immigration officers almost never enforce this rule and plenty of people have lived in Thailand for long periods on visa waiver.

It doesn't change the fact that the current Thai e-Visa website says the tourist visas are for a period of 6 months and th current UK website of the Thai government says the visa waivers are for a 6 month period (albeit that webste has out of date info it does refer to the 6 month period).

If you want the law you'll have to find it yourself. I certainly hope you're right and this 6 month period is not law.

Edited by Cameroni

On 8/8/2024 at 6:58 AM, Cameroni said:

I have seen the 6 month period in many other places. If you go on the Thai E Visa website now and look up tourist visa, the multiple entry version is also limited to 6 months validity...

I've looked at the excerpt of the screenshot of the page on the website of the Thai embassy in London you posted and see that it has the date stamp of 28 August 2019 with an update on 16 October regarding the temporary change of the vis-exempt permission to stay from 30 days to 45 days.

The text about the limitation of maximum three visa-exempt entries for 30 days (VE-30) by air and two by land is shown to apply to the VE-30, which is understandable because this outdated webpage does not take into account the new 60-day visa-exempt entry (VE-60) available now.

Therefore, I would say that it is incorrect to refer to this text as a currently valid rule, regulation or law applicable to the VE-60.

For information about the VE-60, we must refer to the Announcement of the Ministry of Interior, issued under the authority of the Immigration Act. This makes reference neither to unlimited entries nor to a limited number of entries.

It is tacitly understood, however, that all entries into Thailand are subject to Section 12 of the Immigration Act.

Sources:

Immigration Act, English translation:

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=991237&key=afcda8a9154676f45da42331902f33c8

60-day visa-exemption, original Thai text

https://ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/documents/37563.pdf

60-day visa-exemption, English translation

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LsZZ2J7z5jI1S2HEKAcljhbyn34L--VM/view?usp=drive_link

• Thumbs Up 1

2.5 hours to get through immigration at Phuket today.

Never seen anything like this before. Total carnage. Traffic and journey time to hotel at Karon was the worst i've ever experienced coming here. 

This is called over tourism. 

Vast majority of visitors seemed to be from India and some Arab country which i believe may well have been Kuwait. Recent UK report shows Indian tourists are some of the lowest spending tourists in the world. 

Well done. 

On 8/16/2024 at 10:53 PM, DonniePeverley said:

Recent UK report shows Indian tourists are some of the lowest spending tourists in the world. 

While I have met big spending Indians too, yes - the vast majority of the ones who travel in large groups spend very little. The stereotypes of 5 guys sharing a beer and a girl are in fact true. Thailand needs more quality, not more quantity, something they always seem to forget. Pattaya too is completely flooded with Indians - they're mostly harmless but there's just too many of them walking around in the middle of the road making second street look like Mumbai.

• Agree 1