Heartbreaking Photos Reveal Melting Swiss Glaciers: A 15-Year Comparison

Social Media

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Only if you measure "the turning around" in money spent and elections. If you measure it in greenhouse gas emissions, not so much. More this year than last, and more next year than this. 

CO2.png.b356563fbf92da509bc39f79a7241926.png

Well, if a magic want could be waved and the huge installed base of fossil fuel plants were replaced with solar and wind, it would be a different story. So, it's going to take time. But already the increase of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere has been greatly slowed.

Clean energy tech slowed down growth of global carbon emissions in 2023, IEA says

Though energy demand increased, clean energy tech helped the world to avoid using more fossil fuels last year.

Without clean energy technology, global carbon emissions in the last five years would have been three times larger, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

Global carbon dioxide emissions still reached a record high in 2023. But the new analysis found that growth in clean sources had led to a “structural slowdown” in energy-related emissions.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/03/01/clean-energy-tech-slowed-down-growth-of-global-carbon-emissions-in-2023-iea-says

14 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Let the scientist work it out.

Which one? 

Have a bit of faith.

I have faith, but as I understand it, "Faith without works is dead."

I remember reading Freakonomics where they used the fact that volcano's cooled the earth so suggested pumping sulphur into the atmosphere. No need to be super idealistic - there is likely someone smart out there who can make a good case for funding

No shortage of smart people getting rich off of it, that's for sure. 

- ignoring it is not a solution. 

But hysteria is, got it. 

Seeing as how we are still emerging from the last Ice Age period, some might consider this to be normal. There is no convincing proof that the small portion of CO2 produced by human activity (compared with naturally occurring production) has an important role in climate change, nor that cutting carbon emissions to zero would do much to halt warming. 

6 minutes ago, cooked said:

Seeing as how we are still emerging from the last Ice Age period, some might consider this to be normal. There is no convincing proof that the small portion of CO2 produced by human activity (compared with naturally occurring production) has an important role in climate change, nor that cutting carbon emissions to zero would do much to halt warming. 

Maybe it's not convincing to you but why should anyone care about the conviction or lack of it in the case of an anonymous poster on thaivisa who offers no evidence to back up their assertions.  The fact is that even early models made in the 70's, when computing power was minuscule compared to today, successfully formulated algorithms that are still valid today for predicting global warming. And the human contribution to the total amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is now 1/3 of the total. Maybe to you a 50% increase is small and  signifies no important role  And that says nothing about the increase of methane and other greenhouse gasses generated by human activity.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Which one? 

I have faith, but as I understand it, "Faith without works is dead."

No shortage of smart people getting rich off of it, that's for sure. 

But hysteria is, got it. 

So a government or private firm finds smart scientists to find solutions. No lies, no greed, no hysteria. Good thing? 

On 8/8/2024 at 4:19 PM, digger70 said:

Heartbreaking Photos Reveal Melting Swiss Glaciers: A 15-Year Comparison 

Nice , Was that by chance a Winter Pic and a Summer Pic 15 yrs  Later? (my emphasis)  What about scare mongering hey.

Just look at the Real change in the  Cold/hot world.  

https://museum.wales/articles/1036/When-Antarctica-went-into-the-deep-freeze/#:~:text=Antarctica hasn't always been,the Eocene and Oligocene epochs.

Reading comp classes are in order:

LOOK at the X (aka Tweet) post from Duncan Porter, the original poster of the two photos (I assume is of him):

"Fifteen years minus one day between these two photos"

minus one day doesn't even work for equinoxes, as there are season known as either fall or spring between summer and winter. And they last more than one day

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

Reading comp classes are in order:

LOOK at the X (aka Tweet) post from Duncan Porter, the original poster of the two photos (I assume is of him):

"Fifteen years minus one day between these two photos"

minus one day doesn't even work for equinoxes, as there are season known as either fall or spring between summer and winter. And they last more than one day

I don't understand your objection.. For example, if the first photo was taken on Aug 2, 2009, then the second photo would have been taken on Aug 1, 2024. That would be 15 years minus one day.

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

So a government or private firm finds smart scientists to find solutions. No lies, no greed, no hysteria. Good thing? 

I would say you're half right, because stipulating: "No lies, no greed, no hysteria."  negates any government involvement. 

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I don't understand your objection.. For example, if the first photo was taken on Aug 2, 2009, then the second photo would have been taken on Aug 1, 2024. That would be 15 years minus one day.

And that could have been stopped, had only...

As a kid with my parents (1966 onwards) and later with my own kids (last trip 2019) we regularly holidayed in Switzerland.....purely anecdotal......the difference in summer snow cover and the glaciers is staggering.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MicroB said:

Born in the Netherlands , Immigrated to Australia at 25. 🙏

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Don’t you think it is duplicitous to link THAT article to a topic regarding anthropogenic climate disruption or are you really so uninformed ? 

Uninformed , is That what you call it .  You believe what you like and I believe what I think is right .

Yes we have some Climate change for sure , But it doesn't matter if it Warms up  Fast or Slow and Cools down Fast or Slow  It's Still a Natural Phenomenon. 

It will change , This may take 100 Yrs or 10000 Yrs.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Uninformed , is That what you call it .  You believe what you like and I believe what I think is right .

Yes we have some Climate change for sure , But it doesn't matter if it Warms up  Fast or Slow and Cools down Fast or Slow  It's Still a Natural Phenomenon. 

It will change , This may take 100 Yrs or 10000 Yrs.

The thing is, back in the 70s most climate models created algorithms that were astonishingly accurate. So why don't you share with us the scientific reasoning that works as well or better? Because right now, basically, the explanation you're offering is sh*t happens.

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

The thing is, back in the 70s most climate models created algorithms that were astonishingly accurate. So why don't you share with us the scientific reasoning that works as well or better? Because right now, basically, the explanation you're offering is sh*t happens.

Yea you are Right , Sh!t Happens .

What happen  Millions of yrs ago Can/Will happen again. 

Don't worry the planet will look after itself  it's been doing that for Millions of yrs.

Scaring the people and scamming Trillions of $ from them isn't going to Fix what they Think is wrong ,

Who are They?  The Greedy monsters that are in Power to do what they want .

Brainwashing comes to mind , just like  Religion Trying to make people believe in something that Doesn't exit whilst robbing the people of their Money and Power.

https://earthsky.org/earth/whats-hottest-earth-has-ever-been/    

https://www.climatesignals.org/resources/explainer-whats-hottest-earths-ever-been#:~:text=One of the warmest times,about 56 million years ago.

There used to be a vile man on right wing AM radio in the USA. You know his name.

He had a talking point for his listeners. "Vostok ice cores", a dog-whistle really.

In a vast jump of rhetoric containing no logic whatsoever often you would hear

Now have you' all  ever heard of the Vostok Ice core studies? Already hundreds of thousands of years ago these same scientists claim the climate was different. So,  "This climate change nonsense is just a scam".  Of course climatologists who produced studies from these samples never ever said that  change up to 400 thousand years ago anything to do with human activity. 

Now then the good ol boys who constitute the majority of the listeners to right wing AM radio would sit back, scratch their beards and maybe other body parts.  Thoroughly duped and confused for no other reason than to boost Chevron and Shell stock and serve Republican Party interests they would incorrectly now believe they were well informed.

"I knew it momma, the climate changed alreedy.  They don't want us to have children, they want us eating bugs and rabbit food to destroy our way of life to take our money so they can fly around in private jets. Give me another beer".

1467ff8e-15c0-4df7-bd92-d8a9e2805d99-photo-u2.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, digger70 said:

Don't worry the planet will look after itself  it's been doing that for Millions of yrs.

Scaring the people and scamming Trillions of $ from them isn't going to Fix what they Think is wrong ,

Brainwashing comes to mind , just like  Religion Trying to make people believe in something that Doesn't exit whilst robbing the people of their Money and Power.

https://www.climatesignals.org/resources/explainer-whats-hottest-earths-ever-been#:~:text=One of the warmest times,about 56 million years ago.

What you don't seem to understand is that science isn't about sh*t happens, it's about why and how it happens. Now maybe you're in a hurry to have CO2 levels so high that a few generations from now, humans experience the conditions that existed 10s of millions of years ago. Me, not so much.

As for the rest of what you wrote, it's just empty ranting.

In the hope against hope the you might see the error of your ways, here is a link to an explanation of why your assertions are wrong.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

digger made a post asking if one was a summer photo and the other a winter photo 15 years later... I said one day of the year apart so would be in the same season... it's in the text

51 minutes ago, Emdog said:

digger made a post asking if one was a summer photo and the other a winter photo 15 years later... I said one day of the year apart so would be in the same season... it's in the text

It did seem absolutely clear to me what it meant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

What you don't seem to understand is that science isn't about sh*t happens, it's about why and how it happens. Now maybe you're in a hurry to have CO2 levels so high that a few generations from now, humans experience the conditions that existed 10s of millions of years ago. Me, not so much.

As for the rest of what you wrote, it's just empty ranting.

In the hope against hope the you might see the error of your ways, here is a link to an explanation of why your assertions are wrong.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

So because  someone /Some people see things different than you he's Ranting . 

Now your saying that My assertion is wrong, I can say the same from yours ,Right ,

because some people say/Think that they are right  You believe them ? Not me. 

Stop  badgering someone because his believes are different than yours and a few other people.  

End of replies . 🙏

11 minutes ago, digger70 said:

So because  someone /Some people see things different than you he's Ranting . 

Now your saying that My assertion is wrong, I can say the same from yours ,Right ,

because some people say/Think that they are right  You believe them ? Not me. 

Stop  badgering someone because his believes are different than yours and a few other people.  

End of replies . 🙏

This was the ranting portion of your comment:

"Scaring the people and scamming Trillions of $ from them isn't going to Fix what they Think is wrong ,

Brainwashing comes to mind , just like  Religion Trying to make people believe in something that Doesn't exit whilst robbing the people of their Money and Power."

Lots of heat, little light. Just angry, empty generalizations.

Edited by placeholder
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2024 at 2:35 AM, digger70 said:

Yea you are right, sh!t happens and it could well happen again. 

And the planet will look after itself as best it can. But our problem is that won't necessarily look after us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting, then if Thailand gets too hot we can all go back to our respective countries which have become more welcoming with non-existent winters, but I have some doubts that this will happen so far I don't see warmer winter temperatures.

• Agree 1

On 8/9/2024 at 11:13 AM, JCauto said:

==

Do you even comprehend how dumb a comment this is?

Glaciers don't shrink and expand like you are imagining; they're enormous and would hardly change at all due to the seasons. They're formed by accumulation of snow and ice over centuries, and the only thing that causes them to change like this is long-term climate change. Plus, any observer could see that the travelers pictured are wearing t-shirts and shorts in BOTH photos. 

Humanity is lost when this kind of stupidity becomes the norm.

Exactly. Glacial advance or retreat trends take years to measure. Seasonal changes in appearance are irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Exactly. Glacial advance or retreat trends take years to measure. Seasonal changes in appearance are irrelevant. 

OMG you cannot be serious!....you think they are measuring seasonal changes.....?

Changes in glacier size have been measured systematically for over a century, although some early observations and records date back even further. Here's a brief timeline of how glacier measurements have evolved:

1. **Early Observations (18th and 19th Centuries)**:
   - The first recorded observations of glaciers date back to the 18th century, when scientists and explorers began documenting the positions of glacier termini (the ends of glaciers).
   - Artists and early photographers also contributed by capturing images of glaciers, which later provided a visual record for comparison.

2. **Systematic Measurements (Late 19th Century Onward)**:
   - Systematic measurements of glacier size and length began in the late 19th century. In 1894, the International Glacier Commission was established, marking the start of more organized and consistent glacier monitoring.
   - Early measurements primarily involved field surveys where researchers would measure the position of the glacier terminus relative to fixed points on the landscape.

3. **Modern Techniques (20th Century)**:
   - By the mid-20th century, more sophisticated techniques were developed, including aerial photography, which allowed for more accurate and widespread monitoring of glaciers.
   - The use of satellite imagery and remote sensing technologies, beginning in the 1970s, revolutionized glacier monitoring by enabling scientists to track changes in glacier size and volume on a global scale.

4. **Present Day**:
   - Today, glacier monitoring is conducted using a combination of ground-based measurements, aerial surveys, and satellite data. These methods provide detailed and comprehensive records of changes in glacier size, volume, and flow dynamics.
   - The data collected over the past century has been crucial for understanding the impacts of climate change, as glaciers are highly sensitive indicators of global temperature changes.

In summary, systematic measurements of glacier size have been ongoing for about 130 years, with modern monitoring techniques providing increasingly detailed and accurate data.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Interesting, then if Thailand gets too hot we can all go back to our respective countries which have become more welcoming with non-existent winters, but I have some doubts that this will happen so far I don't see warmer winter temperatures.

Since you haven't told us where you come from or where you are, it's not possible to evaluate your statement. But on a global scale we've had record warm temperatures for 15 months which means winters were encompassed everywhere.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I'm not sure if this is an acknowledgement that the photos were taken 15 years apart minus 1 day.