Changing New Passport Number At Bank

Just got a new passport and I'll be moving the stamps at immigration tomorrow.  Do I need to update the passport number at the bank?  Just wondering.

I did this a couple of months ago at my BKK branch.

Be aware that if you have a joint account, they will most likely want your wife to be there as well. Even if it is an either/or account.

• Thanks 1

All this reminds me of when I did actually update my account with new passport information last year, I did not have the old passport but, and I confirmed this with the telephone/help-desk in advance, provided my name was identical to that in their system it would be no problem, and indeed it wasn't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, george said:

Yes, you should visit your branch and update your personal details with them.

Is Thailand unusual in requiring this?

All other countries I have accounts have verified ones identity at the time of account opening so a subsequent new passport would not change anything.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

All other countries I have accounts have verified ones identity at the time of account opening so a subsequent new passport would not change anything.

Hmmm. I Changed the passport number in Cambodia. Getting a new phone required a trip to the bank.

6 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I didn't bother doing this when i got the new passport, however when i also got a new phone about 6 months later i had to go to the Bank to get the Apps working again, what a drama.

Bank staff informed me it would have been much easier if i just updated passport info at the time of issue.

i don't think it matters when you actually do it , but its a lot easier if you have your old passport as well as your new one when you eventually  do. Personally I don't like dealing with people like bank employees , I put them in the same group as the "uniformed people"a little authority goes to their head, and they will make up imaginary rules to suit themselves, or just out of spite.  I have never been able to master the art of grovelling to those who feel they are superior in the way that Thais have, so I try to keep my banking activities limited to the ATM whenever possible  

• Sad 1

Slightly off topic but whilst on the subject of banks , I attempted to send some money over from my UK account to my BBL account  on monday. something I've done dozens of times with out any dramas but which I never really relish doing just because of the potential for something to go wrong

All went well until I pressed the confirm button, then the screen on my laptop seemed to freeze, I instinctively knew something was wrong, and sure enough a few seconds later a banner flashed up saying  "transaction unsuccessful please contact your bank" I then  tried to view my statement online, just to be sure, but another message flashed up telling me that internet access to the account had now been locked.

I then received about 4 text messages one after the other telling me that they were carrying out checks and would contact me within the hour, and then a few minutes later a text asking me to call the anti fraud hotline.

About an hour later when I  had finally edged my way along the queue an anti fraud woman   asked me some security questions, quite a lot actually, and ostensibly tried to engage me in conversation.   Whilst "chatting" to her I tried to  ask what the problem was but  she was pretty evasive, mumbling something about suspicious activity, sending money abroad, she asked if i'd sent money to Thailand before, I told her she had just asked me when I last sent money to Thailand as one of the security questions, she ignored me and asked why I did so !  I just told her I was married and had the normal responsibilities and she hummed and haad in agreement,  but all the time I could hear her typing away in the back ground as if she was typing down everything I said   When I asked her about that she denied it and claimed she was just filling in some details on a form 

After 10-15 minutes she lifted the block and all was sorted but I still think there was something strange about the whole experience, luckily I'm in the UK at present , had I been in Thailand the phone call would have bankrupted me, although she did say that I might have been able to claim it back from the bank. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Of course one must keep identification details up to date with the banks.

12 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

No.

In many countries, including the UK, the bank considers the passport as a higher proof of identity than the driving license, utility bill or tax receipt.

People die, people hack accounts, etc.. My offshore UK bank had me jumping through all sorts of hoops to comply with mandatory KYC (know your customer) protocols. This fully 28 years after I opened the account.

Thailand has recently signed up to the OECD club so expect more rigorous checks on your bona fides.

I got a new passport years ago, no problem with the bank.

But then I needed a new credit card or something like that and that "didn't" work, and the reason was the outdated passport number.

The problem is that many bank employees are not used to this problem because Thais always have the same number. For them it is not obvious that the passport number could be the problem.

So, whatever you do, just keep in mind that this can cause problems years later. Then make sure you remember that you have a "new" passport. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, connda said:

Just got a new passport and I'll be moving the stamps at immigration tomorrow.  Do I need to update the passport number at the bank?  Just wondering.

I got a new passport and in Feb this year went to CM branch of my Bangkok  Bank and asked if they needed to change my p/p number but several of the workers there said that there was no need for me to do anything.  They didn't keep the new number  nor look at the p/p.  I thought that they would want the new number but obviously not. Take care stay safe

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I got a new passport years ago, no problem with the bank.

But then I needed a new credit card or something like that and that "didn't" work, and the reason was the outdated passport number.

The problem is that many bank employees are not used to this problem because Thais always have the same number. For them it is not obvious that the passport number could be the problem.

So, whatever you do, just keep in mind that this can cause problems years later. Then make sure you remember that you have a "new" passport. 

thanks for that info, when I go to the bank and need any contact with them then  I will carry my old p/p with me so that there is no misunderstanding.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

After 10-15 minutes she lifted the block and all was sorted but I still think there was something strange about the whole experience, luckily I'm in the UK at present , had I been in Thailand the phone call would have bankrupted me

"...had I been in Thailand the phone call would have bankrupted me".

Wow, sorry to hear that, you must really be on the bread line as international mobile calls are dirt cheap from Thailand to the UK...Dtac (004) B1 per minute, AIS and True average around B2.50-B3.00 per minute...one hour call B180-200 maximum!  

14 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I didn't bother doing this when i got the new passport, however when i also got a new phone about 6 months later i had to go to the Bank to get the Apps working again, what a drama.

Bank staff informed me it would have been much easier if i just updated passport info at the time of issue.

With Krungsri you can update your passport number easily enough, however I later discovered that, just like you I couldn't activate my phone App when I replaced it.

Long story short, it turned out that changing your passport number on the bank's main database does not alter the database used by the mobile apps. I had to sign a request at bank authorizing them to re-download my mobile app data from the main database. It took about 3 hours in total to get my app working again.

New passport coming up in 3 years, but at least I know what to do now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Take your OLD and NEW PP to the bank, should take around 5 minutes, give or take.  Correct PP number prevents future problems with the bank.  If joint account, the other person might need to go also.

EDIT: I updated at KRUNGSRI, no problems with apk

Edited by edwardflory
addl info
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I did this a couple of months ago at my BKK branch.

Be aware that if you have a joint account, they will most likely want your wife to be there as well. Even if it is an either/or account.

No - don't have a joint account.  Thanks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Yes,    Speaking from experience ,  It's one of those things that one eventually forgets to do without any consequences and then something happens making you wish you had sorted it out at the time.

If for example an ATM machine swallows your card you'll need to visit a branch to sort a replacement , they will want to see your passport and if the number doesn't match the one on their system they will want to see the old passport and the new one when they update their records. The sooner you do it the less likely you are to have discarded or disposed of your old passport  

Exactly this......around 2014 my SCB card literally stopped working. Not expired just literally gave up the ghost probably the "chip"

Went SCB by Pattaya Klang and hadnt updated passport. Didnt have old one for whatever reason

Had to get Police report from Soi 9 to "confirm" I had lost the old one !

As you can imagine i spent half a day in there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

i don't think it matters when you actually do it , but its a lot easier if you have your old passport as well as your new one when you eventually  do. Personally I don't like dealing with people like bank employees , I put them in the same group as the "uniformed people"a little authority goes to their head, and they will make up imaginary rules to suit themselves, or just out of spite.  I have never been able to master the art of grovelling to those who feel they are superior in the way that Thais have, so I try to keep my banking activities limited to the ATM whenever possible  

A couple years ago I did the right thing to get my pp info updated.

I gave the lady my pp and she disappeared for 45 minutes while I waited at her desk. All in I was there for over an hour. ffs

So much for a 5 minute job. wtf was she doing?

15 hours ago, connda said:

You don't need to get the stamps moved to your new PP until you apply for your new extension, they do not know or care when you got it.

As with the banks only when you have to do over the counter business like your yearly letter/statement does it matter.

• Confused 1

As many others have said already, yes, just pop into your bank and update the passport number. 

But I'd add that it never hurts to keep a photo of both your old passport and your new passport on your phone, plus all pages with relevant stamps. Costs nothing - you never know when it might come in handy. 

(You have of course at least a 6 digit lock code on your phone and 2FA on all your accounts). 

It depends how easy it is depending on what bank you're going to Bangkok Bank is the most difficult to update your passport with. Bangkok Bank also needs to take a photograph of your face since the last couple of months.

Make sure they delete old number. Changed my some time ago. Later applied for a credit card. After a considerable time of nothing on the CC I did a post on here to see if anyone had experience. Amazingly someone who works at the CC section of the bank in Bangkok saw the post and contacted me..

Why took so long? Explanation was I had 2 passport numbers, even though one was well out of date.

1 hour ago, arick said:

It depends how easy it is depending on what bank you're going to Bangkok Bank is the most difficult to update your passport with. Bangkok Bank also needs to take a photograph of your face since the last couple of months.

Isn't that only for those who use the "app" ?  or is it now for everybody 

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...had I been in Thailand the phone call would have bankrupted me".

Wow, sorry to hear that, you must really be on the bread line as international mobile calls are dirt cheap from Thailand to the UK...Dtac (004) B1 per minute, AIS and True average around B2.50-B3.00 per minute...one hour call B180-200 maximum!  

That's good to know,  Its years since I called the UK. I'm sure it was a lot more expensive than that