Why isn't sheep shearing an Olympic sport?

Ombra

Because putting it in a speed contest makes it animal cruelty?

1- Almost all mammals can sense human emotions, so in this setting, they would sense the shearer's anxiety, and apprehension, etc. prior to even beginning.

2- Racing to shear makes for a lot more nicks and abrasions than under normal circumstances, causing unnecessary pain and suffering to the animal.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

With machine clippers, or hand shears? I've seen a competition with hand shears in Omarama, New Zealand. Quite amazing how fast they were.

IMO the event would have to many variables, unless someone comes up with a standardized sheep.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

To avoid potential controversy. New Zealenders for example may sneak out of the village at night to meet up with the sheep. 😂😂😉

Nope, the Aussies would beat them to it. Australia is the world's biggest manufacturer of velcro gloves and gumboots.:coffee1:

• Haha 2

Only a matter of time until video gaming becomes an official Olympic sport.

Idiocracy has been allowed to become the ideology du jour.

We reap what we sow.:coffee1:

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

To avoid potential controversy. New Zealenders for example may sneak out of the village at night to meet up with the sheep. 😂😂😉

A New Zealand Leisure Centre = A Sheep tied to a Lampost.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

With machine clippers, or hand shears? I've seen a competition with hand shears in Omarama, New Zealand. Quite amazing how fast they were.

IMO the event would have to many variables, unless someone comes up with a standardized sheep.

Dollys ?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Nope, the Aussies would beat them to it. Australia is the world's biggest manufacturer of velcro gloves and gumboots.:coffee1:

The demand from across the Tasman is setting new records.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The demand from across the Tasman is setting new records.

You're confusing The Land of the Long White Cloud with The Land of Saints and Scholars.:coffee1:

3 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

You're confusing The Land of the Long White Cloud with The Land of Saints and Scholars.:coffee1:

That's a new one, I had to Google it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Because putting it in a speed contest makes it animal cruelty?

1- Almost all mammals can sense human emotions, so in this setting, they would sense the shearer's anxiety, and apprehension, etc. prior to even beginning.

2- Racing to shear makes for a lot more nicks and abrasions than under normal circumstances, causing unnecessary pain and suffering to the animal.

Have you actually been in a shearing shed during shearing time? Doesn't sound like it.

Nice of you to be so concerned with the sheep's emotional well being, but that's the last thing on the minds of the guys doing the job. I suspect you would be horrified at the way the sheep are treated, but that's the side of farming they don't show on those nice BBC shows about farming.

BTW, the guys that shear big mobs know how to shear as many as possible in as short a time as possible- they are always in a "race", against time. Being in a contest would make little difference.

For the benefit of the OP, bringing in a few hundred/ thousand sheep would be problematic, given space and feed requirements, plus the animal luvvies would put so many restrictions on it for the "animal welfare" that most would not be interested in doing it.

Also, there wouldn't be much chance of any other than Kiwis or Aussies getting gold or silver. I'd have said Kiwis for sure, but the flock size has gone down by a few million in past years as wool is worthless.

There are reports of sexual activity among athletes at the game .The inclusion of sheep might prove a distraction to our friends from AU.

Edited by jippytum
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Ombra said:

I read about a Scottish woman who cropped 517 sheep in nine hours and I was amazed. At the same time, I saw that street urchins in Paris were winning medals for climbing a small wall in under six seconds. There is something wrong here. I blame the Americans.

That's amateur hour. NZ woman did 720. that's one sheep every 71.1 seconds.

https://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/news/2024/2/9/supermum-sheep-shearer-breaks-second-world-record-in-less-than-two-months

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NZ has the prettiest sheep in the world.

The Welsh sheep would argue with you there, but you wouldn't understand a word they were bleating on about.........................:giggle:

• Haha 1

It was a trial event demonstrated in the 1946 Olympics.

It was not adopted as a permanent sport due to abuse by the New Zealand and Australian teams.

However, there were several long lasting inter-species relationships as a result which produced a new generation of Australian and New Zealand politicians. 

46 minutes ago, jippytum said:

There are reports of sexual activity among athletes at the game .The inclusion of sheep might prove a distraction to our friends from AU.

Your confusing us with our friends across the Tasman

57 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

Probably for the same reason hot dog eating contests are not an Olympic sport.

There also could be some unusual implications behind the scenes.

If it was a women's sport, and there were extra points for style, I may tune into that one.  But only if the time zone worked out right. 

And it would fit right in with recent Olympic "activities".