British tourist missing after trip to Bangkok found safe in Finland

It's a bit intriguing story though. At first i thought maybe he met a finnish girl in Thailand and went there with her but why would he tell his UK girlfriend that he was coming home early if that was the case.  So, maybe he had an all expenses paid trip to Finland to deliver a package😉 All seems a bit sus that's for sure.  A lot of people on here commenting that he just wanted to be left alone but not wondering why he left Thailand early and then went missing?  And if he wanted to be left alone why did he ring his girlfriend in the first place?  Definitely more to this story then wanting to be left alone.   

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

then tell the sister to stop wasting valuable resources searching for someone not missing. 

It's not my job to tell the sister.

I understand that she is worried and if she wants to report him missing that is fine - IMHO.

Then it's up to the police to do something or nothing. I would guess and hope that the police don't do much if they don't have good reason to suspect a crime happened.

51 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

That's it boomer " 30 years ago". Times have changed. It is strange for a person who updates Facebook or whatever everyday ( as unfortunately a billion people do) to all of a sudden stop! I bet it wasn't super cheap for your mommy to call you 30 years ago as well. I didn't have a cell phone in 1994 and my mommy didn't either.  Yours did but she didn't call you for other obvious reason and you had a phone for some reason too. Why?? 

There was this thing called land-lines, at that time we just called them phones.

My mother could have picked up the phone and dialed a number from a hotel in Thailand and she could have asked for me. She didn't.

P1120506.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&w=2000

And about boomer and all that. Any person, and any generation, can use social media and phones and all that if they want to. There is no reason that they have to use it all the time. Maybe one of those younger generation people from time to time discovers that the earth does not stop to rotate if they don't use any social media, etc. Holiday, freedom, great times...

• Like 1

British tourist missing after trip to Bangkok found safe in Finland

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fully grown adult man who's doting mummy became worried creates a media-storm because he chose not to check-in with the family and tell them his itinerary.

Media posts pictures of the "lost man" when he was a teenager in order to dial-up public concern.

Screenshotfrom2024-08-1011-20-53.png.04fe1e7fff62456a14a3d6b3a00b977f.pngScreenshotfrom2024-08-1011-21-13.png.dd09bbe3a179f5b5a5f126772ccc0454.png

There - fixed it.  :thumbsup:

This material is more like what you're read in the National Lampoon or The Babylon Bee.

41 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Who was looking, seems only a certain news outlet in Thailand were concerned with his well-being. 

Making news for the sake of news? Sorry guys but while some of the stories IMHO are actually newsworthy this one seems to be a bit desperate. Respectfully, perhaps you might consider some of your readers are interested in more depth in the events reported. Don't get my wrong I don't appreciate the effort.. it's just a bit funny to me that this small incident was reported as an actual news story.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

he was probably a mule so obviously he can't say why 

Yup! The did not say a thing about his day trip to Laos to buy souvenirs! There are now a bunch of happy Finns flying high without a plane ticket! Simon Says "I was on a 2 week bender and was way too stoned to phone home... Sorry Mom... I am so sorry you had to throw out my birthday cake..."

Edited by Baba Naba
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

My First thoughts where . A Common Story , Trip to thailand  Runs out of Money , Wants to stay . There are People out Actively looking for People like That to Run drugs to Other countries . Take Them out , Flashing the Cash Sweeten Them up and tell them Everyones doing it and Getting through . and maybe Never got Paid at the other end . i'm Obviously not saying that's definetly what Happened but a Plausible Explanation.

Don't understand what all the fuss is  about.  I left home in 1963  and returned in late 2000.  No contact what-so- ever.  This guy went ''missing''  a couple weeks and it's news.  Big deal

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jethro Tull said:

Maybe he thought “ I am a grown man, my sister and gf won’t overreact and call the police/interpol/Liam Neeson “ ??

He is foolish for not keeping in touch but the blame for this farce is purely the sister/gf.

This is correct ....  the sister and gf are worry warts ...and caused a problem ... but,  he actually caused the problem in the first case by not sending a one sentence text to say ' i'm fine ... don't call, i'll see you when i see you. '  

or he should have said don't call me ... when he was leaving.

then to say nothing to everyone concerned when your located sounds suspicious and sneaky to me ... 

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The guy left early for Finland perhaps because he found Thailand too hot for his delicate British constitution or perhaps because he met a hot Finnish girl about to head home.

Strange travel patterns do attract scrutiny at airports for good reason. 

Nah.

He picked up the special 'flour' and took it to Finland but his contact was not at the airport to meet him so he had to wait for the payoff???  :whistling:

10 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

He had to have a reason for doing it. Maybe he WANTED to stir up a lot of attention. 

Maybe got led astray by a Fin called Helga or Linnea, who had tugged on his heart strings while in Thailand and decided on a diversion on the way home.  If so, best to keep that to himself or face a very angry girlfriend back home!

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

With perhaps million of baht spent searching for this foolish child, along with countless hours of time and effort spent looking by various officials in various countries, one would think there would be a law which he could be charged with, to teach this kid a lesson?

Why? He is an adult male who is living his life the way he wants. It was other people who believed they had the right to know his every move. I used to head out to work on a Thursday only returning home on a Tuesday and when I joined the Army at 20 I would be out of contact for months and that continued after I left the army. My family let me live my life knowing I was able to take care of myself. It's his family who panicked. Let men become adults!!!

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Or maybe he wanted some holiday away from home - like we did before the invention of the internet and mobile phones.

890_001.jpg

What????? A extended holiday in Finland😱Why????

4 hours ago, BritScot said:

Why? He is an adult male who is living his life the way he wants. It was other people who believed they had the right to know his every move. I used to head out to work on a Thursday only returning home on a Tuesday and when I joined the Army at 20 I would be out of contact for months and that continued after I left the army. My family let me live my life knowing I was able to take care of myself. It's his family who panicked. Let men become adults!!!

What's wrong with a quick phone call to let someone know that you are safe and well - especially in the strange circumstances of this situation, 

The Thais were looking for him, as were the Finnish, cameras are everywhere in airports, specially at boarding gates, it's not as if they had to check every cam, and surly Finnair made the passenger list available to police days ago?

Unbelievable!!!!

20 hours ago, webfact said:

This revelation has shifted the search a staggering 5,000 miles from Southeast Asia to the Arctic Circle.

Rookie mistake. He went out that evening looking for a lap dance and somehow woke up the next day in Lapland. 

On 8/10/2024 at 2:34 AM, mikebell said:

I pity him; I only did this flight once; the price of drinks was astronomical and there was insufficient luggage in the overhead lockers.

How much luggage would be sufficient in the overhead lockers?