If you lived here for more than 180 days in 2024,  and you did not bring funds into Thailand during 2024,  would you still have to file a Thai Tax Return in 2025 even though no tax would be payable?

Also, I wonder what the position is if a Thai person takes out a properly documented personal loan from an overseas company - would that loan money be taxed ? Or would it even need to be declared to the Thai Tax Authorities?

1 hour ago, John Phuket said:

If you lived here for more than 180 days in 2024,  and you did not bring funds into Thailand during 2024,  would you still have to file a Thai Tax Return in 2025 even though no tax would be payable?

As you would have no assessable income definitely not.

On your second question not sure. It has been mentioned in the tax threads as being a way around the changes effective 1/01/24. Some others will, I am sure, be along shortly to argue either way.......:whistling:

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Apparently, if you've been spending money in Thailand which is earned in the current year you've be liable for taxation. Technically they could audit all of us anytime and request back taxes for 5,10,20 years. The real news will be when they start doing this. For all any of us know they could backtrack on this if they get enough blowback and you would have wasted time and money trying to comply with this "new" law.

Not all of us, the DTA still applied during the other years too and US govt pensions were still non-taxable for the Thais.  We only had to pay US taxes on that income and any other income we happened to have.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Apparently, if you've been spending money in Thailand which is earned in the current year you've be liable for taxation. Technically they could audit all of us anytime and request back taxes for 5,10,20 years. The real news will be when they start doing this. For all any of us know they could backtrack on this if they get enough blowback and you would have wasted time and money trying to comply with this "new" law.

Statute of limitations for back audits is 3 years, 10 years where no return was filed and evasion is detected.

• Thanks 1

Just now, chiang mai said:

Statute of limitations for back audits is 3 years, 10 years where no return was filed and evasion is detected.

Very well but that still includes basically all of us. I bet 90% of people living here have been spending money earned/acquired in the current year (regardless of origin) and thus liable for taxation. The only thing this new law changes is that you no longer can deny it.

If their plan is to use this as the beginning of a new expat auditing program then we'll be hearing about that in 2025. Personally I'd rather pay back taxes and fines than to rush out and try to preempt this by getting a tax ID and filing. 

1 minute ago, DaLa said:

I presume by 'draconian' you mean huge financial penalties that would render me baht-less. In which case I would be on a plane within hours back to the UK. Come to think of it that would be even worse than being baht-less here.....I'm off to the tax office as soon as I've finished my coffee.

It's Sunday, they're closed! 🙂

As I recall, jail time is not uncommon if evasion is suspected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

2,000bht fine for those that should but don't file.

Only where no tax is owed. If tax is owed, it increases to 200k and one year inside.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1