British Tourist Assaulted and Robbed on Bangla Road in Patong

webfact

image.jpeg

A 62-year-old British tourist, Mr. Robert, was attacked and robbed in Patong, Thailand, on Friday, August 9th, leading to a shocking incident on Bangla Road.

The assault occurred near a bar early in the morning. Mr. Robert was left with facial injuries, discovered bleeding heavily by locals who quickly alerted the authorities. According to the Patong Police, Mr. Robert reported that a young Thai man assaulted him and stole a gold bracelet valued at 120,000 baht.

Police were swiftly on the scene after receiving the call and reviewed local CCTV footage from around 8:15 AM. The footage revealed Mr. Robert in conversation with his attacker, although the details of their exchange are unclear. Mr. Robert informed police that he had mentioned to the suspect that his wife would provide more money during the discussion, suggesting that money might have been a topic, though the context remains ambiguous, reported the Phuket Express.

The CCTV then shockingly captures the moment the young Thai man turned violent, physically assaulting Mr. Robert by hitting and kicking him before making off with his bag. This footage has become crucial in the hunt for the suspect, who remains at large.

The Patong Police have assured the public that they are actively investigating the incident and are following several leads to identify the attacker. They have also called on anyone with information about the suspect to come forward and assist in the investigation.

Tourists in Patong are advised to remain vigilant, particularly in busy areas and during early morning hours. The local community and tourists alike are expressing shock and concern, hoping for a swift resolution to the case and justice for Mr. Robert.

Authorities are determined to enhance security measures to prevent such incidents, maintaining Patong's reputation as a safe and welcoming destination for all visitors.

Picture courtesy: The Phuket Express

Source: Phuket Express

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-12

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Probably a bit more to this story than what he is letting on. 

Very likely when I read this:

mentioned to the suspect that his wife would provide more money

suggesting that money might have been a topic, though the context remains ambiguous

Where was his wife and why provide more money?

Was the robber unhappy with the amount the victim had?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Read twice trying to find the "shocking incident" with no luck.

Years ago my wife bought me a 5 Baht bracelet that I rarely wear for reasons such as this. I also have a sweatband to cover it if I'm going somewhere safe. She also bought me a 4 Baht necklace for the Buddha that her family gave me when we got married that I always wear and keep covered unless we're at a beach at an all inclusive guarded resort. (We also stopped doing the late night bar scene years ago so, not out and about in the middle of the night and, as far as I know, ASPs are not illegal in Thailand) And, if they want my Timex, they can have it! (although it has kept time quite well over the years)

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Very likely when I read this:

Where was his wife and why provide more money?

Was the robber unhappy with the amount the victim had?

He was really ugly and the Thai guy wanted more money for the 3some 

• Sad 1

For the amount of people from across the world & number of bars & Clubs in the Bangla area - It is one of the Safest places in the World to enjoy a good night out. Like all busy places there is petty crime committed. The Bangla STC area has morre CCTV covering this area than most people would know or think about.

If your going out with your Gold & Rolex on show, anywhere in the World, unfortunately you will be a Target to Scumbags.

Report suggests there is more to this incident, without any facts who knows?

Patong/Phuket Haters - usual negative comments - change the record or better still come & enjoy a great night out in a pretty safe place... Obvs is years since you made judgment

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Possible, but highly unlikely. I've walked through Bung-la road many times on my morning stroll to the beach at 6-7am and there's almost always still a gaggle of 20-30 or so drunks still around who just don't know when to quit, and I basically scan everyone I pass with "Terminator targeting eyes" trying to figure out which one could be a problem. 

After a while I just circumvented that area altogether on my walks.

And recently moved away from the island for good.

As I did, now more than 12 years ago.
a year ago I was there for a short time because my son was on holiday there, then I saw that it had become much worse, Patong I just didn't visit again.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Probably a bit more to this story than what he is letting on. 

And here we go again with the constant defender of Thai scum drivers, taxis, motorbike riders, jet ski scammers that dish out gratuitous violence on tourists, and you are incapable of accepting it.

Instead, you blame the victim because he's foreign.

The guy has stolen a 120,000 baht chain, that is robbery with violence. Police are searching for him.

Or in your world is that allowed and justified in Thailand?

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, BritScot said:

What more do you need to know? A 62 year old tourist was beaten up and robbed of his bag and a gold chain worth 120,000baht! Do you think anything can justify that?

The guy does it every time, defending scumbags, he's a troll.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thanks 1

I feel sorry for the man and hope they catch this guy swiftly, as he will continue on this path until he is caught. It's easy money for him.

However, the same rules apply in every tourist destination, especially poorer countries, where opportunistic thieves will always take advantage of somebody elderly, drunk, disabled etc.

Why do people feel the necessity to display wealth like this when out and about in tourist areas?

The most expensive thing I carry is my phone, and it isn't a particularly high-end phone, however, it allows me to pay using QR codes leaving me to carry minimal amounts of cash.

I never wear jewellery or ornaments or fancy watches.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1