What's Your Top Tip for Maintaining a Motorbike in Thailand's Humid Climate?

Ever seen some of the 10 to 12 year old Yamaha Nouvos on the street?  All it takes is common sense recommended general maintenance. Why would  you think these machines need any special maintenance here? They are all designed to work in this environment. But, as was suggested before, if you want it to look the best, keep it out of the sun and rain especially if it's not used regularly.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

Suggestions needed please 

Don’t forget to change the oil and don’t wreck it by driving like an idiot. The rest is simple.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Change the oil every 4,000 km and oil the chain once a fortnight. Keep tyre pressures at the recommended levels.

This will be determined by the type of oil used during the most recent oil change.

If you use mineral-based motor oil, which is the least expensive and most easy type of engine oil on the market, you should change the oil at least every 2,000 Kms.

It is recommended that the oil in a motorbike engine that uses semi-synthetic motor oil be changed every 3,000 to 5,000 kilometres.

For individuals who use fully synthetic motor oil, the typical guideline is to replace the oil every 7,000 to 10,000 kms.

https://www.motousher.com/how-often-do-you-need-to-change-your-motorcycle-engine-oil/#:~:text=For individuals who use fully,every 7%2C000 to 10%2C000 kms.

Just keep them out of the sun and on a dry place. I keep mine under cover also, for 6 months or more at the time. No dust or corrosion ever! But be aware of ants making your bike a "home"! Also spray a little around your bike before using it again! Spiders and other creepy  crawlies can sometime be found. 

Edited by harryviking

Do regular service at places where they know what they are doing.

Use quality oil, maintain the chain, make sure service like valve clearance service is done, etc.

It's best if you have a reliable place where you go regularly. Let them do whatever is necessary and you won't have any trouble. 

Perhaps good place to ask this question, I have seen bikes in shops for sale, brand new, but 5 or even 10 years old since manufacture, but looks like just out of factory....!?!? 

Now buy a bike and use it for a month, then store it in a room for one year, come back and it's rusted away completely...! I'm guessing once the bike is exposed to elements, that's when humidity can get to it..., otherwise it can last a very long time..., or can it.. ? Maybe it's rusted underneath but we can't see..., would you buy such a bike, 5 or 10 years sitting in shop, never used..? 

15 hours ago, Agusts said:

I have seen bikes in shops for sale, brand new, but 5 or even 10 years old since manufacture, but looks like just out of factory....!?!? 

Yes "New Old Stock" 10 years old  I would only buy one if it was very cheap (because a lot of stuff may need changing rubber bits)

or a bike that they don't make anymore  like the 2 stroke  bikes  NSR,KRR,TZR,TZM,Beat,Dash,Leo  etc

Honda NSR150 SP and Kawasaki KRR 150 can command a good price as they have become rather "collectable"

There is also the chance that the bike looks new but is in fact "restored".

I got quite a good deal on a Yamaha Spark that had sat in the showroom for a couple of years (NOS)  they changed the battery and  fuel injector at the shop as it wouldn't start (no charge)  only other thing that needed changing a bit fast was the tyres..other than that very pleased with it.

The rust can set in just buy touching the bike  sweat from your hand can cause rust...like I said before  if stored for a long time  a light spray of oil on the metal bits and kept out of sun and rain will be ok. 

Humidity is in the air and can't be controlled unless you keep the bike in an aircondition or hermetically sealed room.

I just got a new bike, I bought a bike "tent" for it even though it is in my carport, I just ordered a battery trickle charger and am considering getting a de-humidifier to put in the bike tent to prevent rust. It is pretty and I want it to stay that way.

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Hire a lady with a feather duster to keep the dust off, bonus if she is cute and wears skimpy maid outfit that can also perform polishing duties.

LOL - I am pretty sure my wife would not approve, but I like your thinking!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, smccolley said:

It is pretty and I want it to stay that way.

Any chance photos of the beauty.

Here's my 2003 Suzuki Raider   mainly kept under cover and out of the rain  21 years still going strong.P_20240117_100203.thumb.jpg.c9dfdac3d6d5b724ed397a4a0fab8fda.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Here's my 2003 Suzuki Raider   mainly kept under cover and out of the rain  21 years still going strong.P_20240117_100203.thumb.jpg.c9dfdac3d6d5b724ed397a4a0fab8fda.jpg

Here is what I want to protect:

withbags.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, johng said:

I would very much like one of those in the UK.....but not in Thailand.

Many times I have thought about importing.

Wax.

It is that simple. A good quality wax, I use Bilt Hamber double speed wax on the whole bike with the exception of hot bits. So rims, chrome and paint all get some love. 

• Thumbs Up 2