Thai ministry urges the public to refrain from giving money to beggars

Most beggars and beggar-alikes (flower sellers and other parasites) in tourist areas aren't even Thai. They come from Vietnam and other countries to prey on tourists. It's nice to educate the public to stop giving them money, but what they really should be doing is arresting, blacklisting, and deporting them.

Especially nasty are the flower-sellers who rent children to work with them all night to try to gather sympathy, and that's not even getting into the children hired to pickpocket. Protect your pockets when they swarm you! There is a reason they travel in packs.

41 minutes ago, connda said:

So what the hell will the government do to alleviate the problems of the underclasses of the underclasses? 
Probably nothing.  So people will continue to give money to beggars. 

If you want to help, give money to charities. Giving money to beggars just encourages more begging, and encourages illegal activities and human trafficking.

• Haha 1

Kind of sounds a little like they're concerned about the rising number of jobless and homeless people and what that says about Thailand's economy.  As a result, they want to get rid of the symptoms rather than solve the problem. 

Stop giving money to beggars, they go away or die, people can't see how many people are living in poverty in Thailand.  Sorted!

Many years ago in instanbul  a  man died he begged in the st for decades people gave they believed him he had nothing.he had several apartment buildings then the truth come out.I wonder how  the turks felt  if they donated to him while they work 50 hrs a week to survive

I think it is no different to thailand I see beggars   and they do very well out of it,while other thais have to do they 50 hrs  of work to earn their money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bristolgeoff said:

Many years ago in instanbul  a  man died he begged in the st for decades people gave they believed him he had nothing.he had several apartment buildings then the truth come out.I wonder how  the turks felt  if they donated to him while they work 50 hrs a week to survive

I think it is no different to thailand I see beggars   and they do very well out of it,while other thais have to do they 50 hrs  of work to earn their money.

For two years we gave a one legged man on the corner of soi 7, BKK, 20 baht a day........pretty sure I saw him driving a merc......he always had the latest iPhone.

It is certainly true that temples in Thailand really serve the purpose intended by many people when they give to people on the street.  But man those teenagers with flutes or whatever, come on.  I think making stigmatizing generosity in your society is a mistake.  People aren't stray cats.  If they are breaking a law, then arrest them, otherwise leave them alone, I say.  

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, jvs said:

Most beggars are not people in need but people who take advantage of good people.

People i give to are the people who live at a gas station and have nothing.

Most of these people have mental issues and the do not even ask for money.

If i see them sleeping i will leave some food items and water by their side.

Most"beggars" are members of criminal gangs and are well organized.

As an example,there was a guy at Chattuchak market who was dragging himself back and forward in a mud puddle,flat on his belly.

I have seen myself that some one added more water to the mud to make him look more miserable.

There was no mud anywhere else around there and i saw a lot of people giving him money.

No need to beg in Thailand.

glad your conscience is clear anyway. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

this wins the Least Informed Poster award for the month. What utter dross. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

I think giving or not giving is a matter of personal choice. I give sometimes. Government interference in my right to choose to give or not would actually make me give more often. I'm sure the goverment must have more important things to focus on. 

Yes, themselves.

• Haha 1

I've always given 20 baht to anyone who asks. I don't judge them first to see If I think it's a legitimate request. I figure I've done my part and now the burden is theirs if they're not actually needy. I've had plenty of times in my life when I needed a break.