Army Veteran Least Involved in UK Plymouth Riots still gets 1 years Jail

Social Media

image.png.f1447447fe66151fe187b7b788963efd.png

In the aftermath of the Plymouth riots, a former soldier, who was described by a judge as the “least involved” among those sentenced, found himself facing a year behind bars. Gary Harkness, a 51-year-old veteran, was caught up in a wave of violence that engulfed the country following the Southport stabbings, which tragically claimed the lives of three children. On August 5th, as tensions and anger flared across the nation, Harkness, like many others, became entangled in the chaos that erupted on the streets of Plymouth.

image.png.1d3113f1e3b435a80dedb9ad1ee0efb0.png

The courtroom scene at Plymouth Crown Court was both sobering and surreal as body-worn camera footage depicted Harkness, visibly intoxicated, pushing a police riot shield amidst the disorder. The footage captured him as “prolifically vocal,” attempting to aid someone on the ground during the riot. His actions included making lewd gestures and hurling profanities, but as the evidence played out, it became apparent that Harkness was not one of the primary agitators.

Despite his behavior, the judge overseeing the case, Judge Robert Linford, recognized the nuances of the situation. After watching the footage, the judge paused the proceedings, remarking, “People are entitled to protest and throw their arms around, but as long as they’re not using threatening behavior, it’s not an offence, is it?”

Nevertheless, the situation took a more serious turn when a third video was shown, wherein Harkness admitted to making aggressive comments, pushing the riot shield, and waving his arms. The court also heard that Harkness, who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), was “steaming drunk” at the time, having consumed up to 18 cans of alcohol and three-quarters of a bottle of tequila before venturing into the city with a friend.

Judge Linford faced a challenging decision. While he acknowledged that Harkness had not engaged in direct violence, nor had he thrown objects or spat at anyone, the former soldier’s involvement in the disorder still required legal consequences. “Of the people I have thus far sentenced, you are the person who provides me with the most difficulty because it cannot be leveled at you that you hit anyone, neither have you thrown anything, neither is it said that you spat at anybody,” the judge stated. He further added, “But it is accepted by you that you were a party to this disorder and I have to sentence you on that basis, and you know that anyone party to it has to receive a custodial sentence.”

In the end, Harkness was sentenced to 12 months in prison, a sentence that, while severe for his level of involvement, underscored the broader legal principle that participation in violent disorder carries significant consequences.

The riots in Plymouth were part of a nationwide surge in unrest, with law enforcement struggling to maintain order amidst widespread protests and violence. According to the National Police Chiefs’ Council, as of August 13th, a staggering 1,024 arrests had been made in connection with the disorder, and 575 individuals had been charged. These events have sparked a broader conversation about the role of law enforcement during protests, with Tom Tugendhat, the shadow security minister, criticizing what he described as a “softly, softly” approach to enforcement. Tugendhat emphasized that the police must step in to make arrests during protests to prevent them from escalating into violent disorder.

While Harkness’s case drew attention for his minimal involvement relative to others, it is not an isolated incident. Across the country, the courts have been processing numerous cases stemming from the riots, including those involving minors. One particularly disturbing case involved a 13-year-old girl who was charged with violent disorder during a protest at Potters International Hotel in Aldershot on July 31st. The girl, whose identity is protected due to her age, admitted to using or threatening unlawful violence. District Judge Tim Pattinson warned the young girl that failing to attend her next court hearing would constitute an offence and ordered her to cooperate with probation. The girl is set to be sentenced on September 30th.

The involvement of minors in such violent acts has raised significant concerns, with Thomas Power, the Senior Crown Prosecutor, expressing his distress over the situation. “It was particularly distressing to learn that such a young girl participated in this violent disorder,” Power stated. The case of the 13-year-old girl is not the only one of its kind, as other young individuals have also found themselves facing serious legal consequences for their actions during the riots. In Southport and Manchester, two 12-year-old boys were convicted for their roles in violent protests.

In Sheffield, 19-year-old Drew Jarvis was sentenced to three years in prison after admitting to throwing bricks and other projectiles at officers outside a hotel in Rotherham on August 4th. Footage presented in court showed Jarvis, who was masked and wearing a hoodie, throwing wooden planks at the building. Judge Jeremy Richardson KC, the Recorder of Sheffield, condemned Jarvis’s actions as “shameful” and “disgraceful,” describing the incident as “doubtless a terrifying incident.” Jarvis’s defense suggested that the young man had been influenced by others, with his lawyer stating, “Probably stupidity” as the reason for his participation in the violence. Jarvis himself admitted that he had gone to the protest as “just another opportunity to vote,” and expressed his belief that those staying at the hotel “would be better off in their own country.”

In Hull, the sentencing of 25-year-old John Honey was delayed after he reportedly asked a prison probation officer for an autograph, stating that he was “famous” and “all over social media.” Honey had pleaded guilty to violent disorder, burglary, and racially aggravated criminal damage after participating in the looting of a Lush store during the riots. Images of Honey circulated widely, showing him wearing an England shirt and holding a shopping bag from the cosmetics chain with the slogan “Thank you for visiting.”

In addition to the looting, Honey was involved in the attack on a car carrying three Romanian men, damaged nine vehicles at a garage, and pushed bins at police lines during the disturbance. Judge John Thackray KC, the Recorder of Hull, expressed concern over Honey’s behavior and the delay in sentencing.

The riots and the legal proceedings that followed have painted a grim picture of a nation grappling with civil unrest and the consequences of violent disorder. While Harkness’s case may have highlighted the complexities of sentencing individuals with varying degrees of involvement, it also serves as a reminder of the broader issues at play. The legal system is faced with the difficult task of balancing justice with the recognition of individual circumstances, as it seeks to hold those involved in the riots accountable for their actions.

In Sunderland, another participant in the riots, 26-year-old John Kirtley, pleaded guilty to violent disorder after being caught on camera throwing bricks and a beer keg at police officers during a protest on August 2nd. Kirtley, who was draped in a St. George’s flag, was seen shouting “England till I die” while waving a flare. His actions, along with those of others involved in the disorder, led to his identification and subsequent arrest. Kirtley, who admitted his role in the violent protests, has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced at Newcastle Crown Court on August 22nd.

The role of women in the riots also came under scrutiny, with several women facing substantial sentences for their involvement. One notable case involved 34-year-old Stacey Vint from Middlesbrough, who was sentenced to 20 months in prison for her actions during a riot. Vint was captured on video pushing a burning bin into a line of officers during the disturbance. Her case, like many others, highlights the widespread nature of the unrest and the diverse backgrounds of those involved.

As the courts continue to process the cases related to the riots, the outcomes will have lasting implications for how similar incidents are handled in the future. The sentences handed down to those involved serve as a stark reminder of the consequences of participating in violent disorder, regardless of one’s level of involvement or intent. The events of this summer have left a significant mark on the communities affected, and the legal repercussions are a testament to the seriousness with which the authorities view these actions.

In the case of Gary Harkness, the former soldier who found himself on the wrong side of the law despite being the “least involved” in the riots, the sentence he received may seem harsh. Yet, it underscores the broader message that participation in such disorder, even on the periphery, carries serious consequences. Harkness’s story, along with the stories of others like him, reflects the complex and often tragic nature of civil unrest and the challenges faced by the legal system in its aftermath. As he was led away from the courtroom, Harkness thanked the judge, perhaps recognizing the difficult position he found himself in—a position that many others across the country now share as they face the consequences of a summer of discontent.

Credit: Daily Telegraph  2024-08-15

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

In other news, the two young men who were filmed raining blows on police at Manchester Airport, including breaking the nose of a policewoman, have yet to be charged three weeks after the incident.

The gangs on motorcycles who threatened a TV reporter and her film crew at a roundabout in Birmingham, and then used knives to slash the tyres on their vehicle remain untouched. Again caught on film.

The gang who beat seven shades of <deleted> out of a man in the "smoking area" of a Birmingham pub remain untouched.

Plenty of video footage of that.

Two tier government.

Two tier policing.

Two tier judicial system.

I forgot to add.

Brace for incoming whataboutary.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

These far right moronic thugs, aka Farridge rioters, have been cowed into silence by the true silent majority. A coalition of the left comprising anti racists, trade unionists and members of the general public who are fed up with the far right thugs looting their shops, setting fire to their cars whilst attempting to murder people in a hotel.

The people facing up to these knuckle scrapers are "getting their country back". Suck it up rightards!

As bad, if not worse, are the online provocateurs, manipulating the feeble minded, the inebriated and those with ‘previous’ into lawlessness.

Time for a bit of justice for those too.

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

Judge Linford should be removed from his post.  Any normal person would suggest that anyone not involved in rioting was not involved in rioting, they were involved in a protest.  It was the opposite of a challenging decision.   

The court of appeal are going to be busy bees in future as some (most) of these sentences are insane.   The demand for "far right" does not come close to meeting the supply so they are locking up innocent people who have the legal right to protest without engaging in violence.   If any of these judges were have been found to have been "carried away" removing peoples liberty they should face equivalent punishment.   

What a way to "thank someone for their service".  

Separate two things.

Military service, thank you.

Taking part in a riot, prison.

I hope he gets the medical attention he clearly needs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This is going to come back to bite the judiciary on the nether regions. Obviously an excessive penalty, and an enemy when released.

You wish........😂

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Rioter gets 12 months in prison.

It sounds like a spell off the booze might help too.

I hope too he gets help with his PTSD while in prison. 

Prison might turn out to have been a good thing for him, he’s certainly in a mess right now.

Thought it would cheer you up........😒

• Like 1

Home office getting ahead of themselves here by calling arrested people "criminals" before they have even had a chance to plea their case.  How are people going to get a fair trial when being judged by the home office as criminals before they have had their day in court?   Has there been a change in law to allow them to do this?  Didn't Tommy Robinson get sent to jail for potentially prejudicing upcoming trials for doing similar?  

image.png.463fb5bee3f279ef30b1cd0bf1ac887f.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

You didn't read the report did you?  

If you agree with this then you would be agreeing that every single person that attends a pro hamas hate march being imprisoned (regardless of their own actions) when some of them start being violent for simply being there.   

I did read the report.

And no I do not have to accept your misrepresented false equivalence.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Rioter gets 12 months in prison.

It sounds like a spell off the booze might help too.

I hope too he gets help with his PTSD while in prison. 

Prison might turn out to have been a good thing for him, he’s certainly in a mess right now.

That amount of booze would kill an average person. It's clear there's an issue there. But not only. Ms. Vint also has a boozy backstory.

No excuse for their behavior though.

Edited by BusyB
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Quite easy to dismiss his service with a simple thank you when you have never served in HM forces and trivialise the sacrifices made nor have you been in harms way or a military conflict.

I know, because those of us that have give far more empathy for our brothers and sisters that have served.

Yet, you feel self-righteous to get on your high horse enough to judge here, people like you really pi$$ me off.

An ex military member suffering PTSD would get far better and more targeted care outside prison, but pathetic lefties on this board and misguided clowns in the UK, as well as current government too busy looking after an invading culture that hates us.

Oh, so his military service, which I do not dismiss, gives him license to riot?

We both know it does not.

It seems he hasn’t been getting the care he obviously needs and deserves, I doubt very much the failure to provide his care started on July 5 last.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Social Media said:

His actions included making lewd gestures and hurling profanities,

The UK Government , here's a gun and we will pay you to kill the  people who try to invade us :

UK Government : We are jailing you for trying to stop an invasion 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, James105 said:

Judge Linford should be removed from his post.  Any normal person would suggest that anyone not involved in rioting was not involved in rioting, they were involved in a protest.  It was the opposite of a challenging decision.   

The court of appeal are going to be busy bees in future as some (most) of these sentences are insane.   The demand for "far right" does not come close to meeting the supply so they are locking up innocent people who have the legal right to protest without engaging in violence.   If any of these judges were have been found to have been "carried away" removing peoples liberty they should face equivalent punishment.   

What a way to "thank someone for their service".  

I spent 25 years in military service and have yet to attend a protest or a riot.

Oddly enough no one has yet thanked me for my service. Perhaps it is because I don't drink 18 cans of alcohol plus 3/4 bottle of tequila. Perhaps it is because I am a law abiding citizen

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I spent 25 years in military service and have yet to attend a protest or a riot.

Oddly enough no one has yet thanked me for my service. Perhaps it is because I don't drink 18 cans of alcohol plus 3/4 bottle of tequila. Perhaps it is because I am a law abiding citizen

The guy has issues we know, the Judge had options open to him as this guy never threw anything, didn't punch anybody, never spat at anybody and the Judge said he was right at the minor end of the scale of misbehaviour.

In other words, apart from a few choice words, he was protesting, not rioting.

He could have ordered counselling and treatment for his alcohol dependency outside of prison. He didn't need to be a Keir Starmer puppet. The courts are supposed to be independent.

I also am ex forces and I have never attended a protest or riot nor been a member of any far right group, but like many, I am cheesed off where it becomes a badge of shame, to be White British and heterosexual, in my own country, whilst scroungers and boat people get the VIP treatment.

In a country where our opinion is not valid, and we are branded racist if we open our mouths, it's disgusting.

This lot arriving at our shores have never lifted a finger to help the UK, despise the UK, and are there purely for what they can scavenge, and they think it's funny.

Could we do it in their countries? You know the answer.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

The vast majority of people did not take parts in riots.

However, significant numbers have swallowed the scapegoating and hate mongering that was used to motivate those who did riot. Some of those joined the riots, it was their choice to do so, but they didn’t simply wake up one day and decide en masse to riot, they were primed, coordinated and directed.

The individuals and organizations who have fueled and incited these riots with misinformation and scapegoating of immigrants need to called to account.

And not just scapegoating immigrants, the rioters also attacked Citizens Advice offices, lawyers and organizations offering advice to immigrants.

This was a coordinated and targeted campaign of riots; time to go after those that fed it and directed it.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/15/2024 at 3:32 AM, Social Media said:

“Of the people I have thus far sentenced, you are the person who provides me with the most difficulty because it cannot be leveled at you that you hit anyone, neither have you thrown anything, neither is it said that you spat at anybody,” the judge stated.

He further added, “But it is accepted by you that you were a party to this disorder and I have to sentence you on that basis, and you know that anyone party to it has to receive a custodial sentence.”

This is the beginning of the end. Say goodbye to your freedom to criticize the government. Welcome to China v2

• Haha 1