Shrinkflation - Inflation Using The Art of Marketing Lies

connda

I mean really.  What is "shrinkflation."  In my humble opinion it is the worst form of inflation as it seeks to deceive the consumer with the lie that the price of a corporation's product isn't being inflated.  But it is a lie, and a bold-faced lie at that.

This week I purchase some mini-hot dogs in new & improved packaging.  Two thing immediately struck me.  First - the consistency of the hot-dog is changed, as in they are tough when they used to be much more tender when you bit into them.  Secondly, any time I see new packaging the first thing I do is to check the net weight of the product with an old packaging.  Yeah - sure enough.  Although the price is still the same, the net weight of the hot dogs in now 20 grams lighter.  And based on my taste-test, both the consistency and taste has changed.  I'd venture to say that the hot-dogs are now made with an increased amount of some "filler" agent that ain't pork. 

Well, from the standpoint of actually eating them, they are really not for me.  I buy them for my dogs who like them as treats.  But this does nothing to increase my respect for the corporation who makes the hot-dogs (to be left unnamed due to Thailand Machiavellian defamation laws)  Will I keep buying them?  For awhile - the dogs like them.  But if I notice the weight going down again?  Then they are off my shopping list.  I've taken a number of products I use to purchase off my shopping list lately for exactly the same reason - shrinkflation.
It's deception and I can't abide by deception. So although I'll continue to buy the hot dogs for my dogs, I'm going to jettison other products that the corporation makes them.  Deception should never me rewarded.  If anything, shinkflation of processed foods leads me to eat healthier.  I just stop buying packaged processed foods and go for fresh foods sold by the kilo. So thank you unnamed corporation for leading me to eat a more healthy diet.  As for my dogs?  They don't care.  They're just happy to get a couple of hot dogs every few days.

speak with your money. went to mr sub in canada. ordered a footlong with extra cheese. they charged me 2.50 for a single slice of extra cheese. when the initial cost of the sub was less than 10 dollars you're telling me a single slice of cheese is 25 percent more ? 

i will never return to mr sub anywhere again.

• Thumbs Up 2

What do the pooches think about getting 20g less in their sausages?

But yes, shrinkflation is deceptive, when they do something like this there should be laws to advertise to the consumer that the product is less at the same cost. I think in France they have started something like this.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, freeworld said:

What do the pooches think about getting 20g less in their sausages?

But yes, shrinkflation is deceptive, when they do something like this there should be laws to advertise to the consumer that the product is less at the same cost. I think in France they have started something like this.

Actually I looked at the package again last night.  It used to be 150 grams and now is 120 gram - 30 grams less = 20% less product.

What do the nine pooches think?  They have short memories.  They're just ecstatic to get a tasty treat - even though I don't think they are so tasty.  Sorta tastes like wood filler. 

Yeah - government consumer protection divisions should make this illegal, but corporations pay politicians to make sure that laws like that never get written.  It's fascistic, but there yeah go, we live in fascistic times now.  Corporations screw over consumers and governments let them do to their financial arrangement with the corporate entities.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, connda said:

What is "shrinkflation." 

It’s a scam. I went to the US awhile ago for a few weeks and was surprised that not only were the packaged products were weighed down, the prices were exorbitantly higher that didn’t line up with the inflation rate, companies are exploiting the opportunity to price gouge, total massive scam operation going on in the US nowadays. Here in cm have noted some vendors doing the shrinkflation thing, I just say “noi, mai krap”. I’d much prefer to make a purchase for a couple few more ฿ for the same volume than the same ฿ for 1/3rd less. 

5 hours ago, connda said:

Actually I looked at the package again last night.  It used to be 150 grams and now is 120 gram - 30 grams less = 20% less product.

What do the nine pooches think?  They have short memories.  They're just ecstatic to get a tasty treat - even though I don't think they are so tasty.  Sorta tastes like wood filler. 

Yeah - government consumer protection divisions should make this illegal, but corporations pay politicians to make sure that laws like that never get written.  It's fascistic, but there yeah go, we live in fascistic times now.  Corporations screw over consumers and governments let them do to their financial arrangement with the corporate entities.

Good way to lose weight though.

• 2 weeks later...