Pickup Truck Tyre Blowout Causes Multiple Rolls: 1 Dead, 1 Injured

Georgealbert

IMG_4450.jpeg

Picture from responders

A pickup truck experienced a tyre blowout on a highway, causing the vehicle to roll multiple times. A husband and wife were ejected from the vehicle, with the wife injured and the husband losing his life.

At 11:30 on August 15, Police Lieutenant Nakrob Siripan, along with emergency responders from Sawang Boriboon Foundation, Pattaya, were called to investigate a severe accident on the Pattaya-U-Tapao Airport motorway, inbound towards Pattaya, near kilometre marker 123+100 in Nong Prue, Bang Lamung District.

Upon arrival, they found an overturned orange four-door Chevrolet pickup truck with Saraburi plates. The vehicle was in a wrecked condition, lying on its roof. Two people had been thrown from the vehicle. The driver, Mr. Chuan, aged 54, was critically injured and despite rescue workers' attempts to resuscitate him, he succumbed to his injuries at the scene. His wife, Mrs. Duangruthai, aged 55, sustained injuries but survived.

Mrs. Duangruthai recounted that they had been returning to Bangkok after attending a work event in Sattahip, Chonburi. She heard the tyre explode, after which the car started to spin. She lost consciousness and woke up lying beside a concrete barrier. She searched for her husband and found him lying on the road, also ejected from the vehicle.

Police documented the scene and arranged for Mrs. Duangruthai to be taken to the hospital for treatment. Preliminary investigations suggest the accident was caused by a blowout of the left rear tire, which led to the rollover, resulting in injuries and one fatality.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-16

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

First! People do not get thrown out of cars, as they are supposed to and bound by law to used seatbelts.

Second as @Korat Kiwi post above, it´s very common that tires are filled to burst. I think we also can look at the front tires and see that the one to the right, looks much older than the one to the left. Probably only changed the front left and back right, which means the right back could be in bad condition as well. However, that is just a hypothesis.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

3 of the 4 do not look bald.

image.png.5996cdd30affab183deef2479380c1b7.png

They do look different though. Quite possible there were two driven tyres of different profile, so only one getting driven by the diff, and overheating.

• Confused 7

From the amount of debris strewn around, it is quite possible the truck was overloaded, and the distance it rolled would suggest a fair bit of speed as well. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Now the tyres wouldn't have been over-inflated by any chance? 

More common than not in Thailand 

I take my Vigo to Toyota for servicing and they inevitably put 35 PSI into the tyres.

I have to get the book out to show them 29 all round. Actually, now I tell them beforehoand.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

First! People do not get thrown out of cars, as they are supposed to and bound by law to used seatbelts.

Second as @Korat Kiwi post above, it´s very common that tires are filled to burst. I think we also can look at the front tires and see that the one to the right, looks much older than the one to the left. Probably only changed the front left and back right, which means the right back could be in bad condition as well. However, that is just a hypothesis.  

You must have perfect eyesight to see that on the tyres from the photos.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Over-inflated? More like bald with no tread.

Most likely the tires in the worst condition (that is to say if there was any difference between the wear front and rear) were on the rear wheels.  For years when there is a major difference between wear on the four tires, I put the best ones on the rear wheels.  Logic for this, when a front tire blows out the CG of the vehicle moves toward the front placing a heavier weight on the front wheels.  This allows in most cases for a controlled stop.  However, when a rear tire blows the CG moves to the rear lightening the weight on front tires often causing loss of controlled steering. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I take my Vigo to Toyota for servicing and they inevitably put 35 PSI into the tyres.

I have to get the book out to show them 29 all round. Actually, now I tell them beforehoand.

29 sounds dangerously low for a 1 ton pickup.

What size tires ?

Do you have a pic of the tire placard ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

You must have perfect eyesight to see that on the tyres from the photos.

I wrote both that I think we can see, and also that it was only a hypothesis. Something you missed, which makes your reply totally worthless.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LennyW said:

From the amount of debris strewn around, it is quite possible the truck w as overloaded, and the distance it rolled would suggest a fair bit of speed as well. 

There is no indication that it was overloaded, a lot of small items strewn on the road enough to fill both of the two empty boxes, that's all.   How far did it roll, I couldn't see that referenced in the OP?   It happened on a highway so a "fair bit of speed" would not be unexpected.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

What size tires ?

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-16 at 18.42.09_6ac0cdf0.jpg

Edited by KannikaP

Just now, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

35 a better pressure than 29 for tyre wear

But a lousy, bumpy ride. I'll stick with what Mr Toyota, who made the vehicle, says.

Did someone not suggest that too high pressure in the tyres could have caused this, and many other, accidents?

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

What size tires ?

My Vigo 4x4 was 29psi all round, loaded or unloaded....😋

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

35 a better pressure than 29 for tyre wear

I think you do not know much about tyre tech. In a Vigo, with tyres that are advised to use 29psi, if you put 35psi, your head would be bouncing on the head lining....🤕

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you know better than the manufacturer?

Indeed, It is amazing how some here know nothing, then wonder why folk roll high rise pickups. My Vigo handbook even WARNS about the ride could roll.....

The Vigo, or any ride, may use different tyres depending on what version it is, different tyres from factory, which have a different tyre pressure, some need a different pressure in front and rear, so owners must really read there handbook, take no notice of what your local garage says.......NEVER....😉

38 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If I put over 30PSI, it's like driving on a cobbled road. 29 is smooooth. Only got 96,000 km from my first original set, then 85k from the second.

I run 45psi in my daily (pickup), but its running 305/40/22 tires !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1