U.S. Topic -- Clarification sought about starting Medicare Part B upon repatriation

On 9/10/2024 at 3:29 PM, GinBoy2 said:

What I did was I signed up for B in the three months ahead of my birthday., A happens automatically you don't have to do anything

Not sure that's correct about Part A enrollment being automatic.

I just finished doing my initial online enrollment via the SS website for Medicare Parts A & B. Medicare card supposedly in process of being mailed to my U.S. address.

When I first went online to the SS website logged in with my personal account, it had a link there giving me the option to register for Medicare... And  when I followed it, it gave me the process to enroll for Parts A and B, if I also wanted the optional latter.

But if I had done nothing and just sat around waiting after I turned 65, I don't think I ever would have been registered in the Medicare system nor would they have sent me my Medicare card.

Because of past U.S. employment, I was ELIGIBLE for free Part A Medicare once I turned 65. But actually enrolling/registering for it is a separate, required process, AFAIK.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not sure that's correct about Part A enrollment being automatic.

I just finished doing my initial online enrollment via the SS website for Medicare Parts A & B. Medicare card supposedly in process of being mailed to my U.S. address.

When I first went online to the SS website logged in with my personal account, it had a link there giving me the option to register for Medicare... And  when I followed it, it gave me the process to enroll for Parts A and B, if I also wanted the optional latter.

But if I had done nothing and just sat around waiting after I turned 65, I don't think I ever would have been registered in the Medicare system nor would they have sent me my Medicare card.

Because of past U.S. employment, I was ELIGIBLE for free Part A Medicare once I turned 65. But actually enrolling/registering for it is a separate, required process, AFAIK.

Yeah you might be right there.

Eligible and enrolled are two different things