British family struggles with father’s funeral costs in Thailand

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

They're all dead    

It's fine, I see plenty of wandering carbuncles around the Internet, bereft and lonely. 

A guy I went to school with, known him 51 years, has been in a morgue ( he's dead by the way, just to clarify ) since February. No one wants to arrange a funeral for him as he was hated. The state will dispose of him just as the state disposes of the unclaimed in Thailand, with a mass cremation. 

Simple question but after 24 years of divorce why ex wife does she want to come to Thailand to collect the ashes?

800.000 B. deposit bank is the true raison ?

1 hour ago, theblether said:

So it's all about you? It will have no emotional impact upon your friends or family? 

my friends 

image.png.766331ddade933925c0ea9e93647c321.png

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, NowNow said:

More foolishness. GoFundMe isn't even British and why does it bother you so much? is it because you are just mean and hate to see people help others? Go on, explain why it bothers you so much.

Just envious. Sad.

Doesn't bother me at all

If folks want to hand over money good for them.

But still seems crazy to me why anyone would hand over cash for someone dying.

We all all die and you and your family accept that and make plans for it.

In this case the ex wife of 24 years is even more ridiculous.

Buy yourself a plane ticket if you care that much

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Which Embassy, the British? You're joking.

No, I had a UK friend die and never found out until after the event.... I  got a message the Embassy had taken care of arrangements. I was very surprised too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Presnock said:

Somewhere on this forum, a user reported the name of a company that arranges CHEAP cremations.  I forget when but it was not too long ago.  good luck

Maybe Thai888 Law or something like that. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Cheapest circa £850 direct cremation in UK (even £350 )...cheapest-to-cheapest comparison.

Yes that is who I was thinking of..... 

Surely a great help to poorer families.... they were not around when I had to arrange a few UK funerals all of which were many thousands of pounds. No there were not horse-drawn carriages involved. It's a rip off in the UK.  

• Agree 1

On 8/17/2024 at 7:19 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nothing wrong with having more than one. 

Can you predict the future? 

Yep, I, you, and all of us will die.......................................:coffee1:

• Agree 1

On 8/17/2024 at 6:45 AM, 1happykamper said:

Why bother going to Thailand at all? Especially if they couldn't afford it. Arrange for his ashes to be shipped. All done. 

Is that possible or does someone need to come over and sign for it?

There are many stories about people needing to come over when a relative passes.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2024 at 7:59 PM, NowNow said:

Easy now...

This is the second time you have used that sentence

,please stop ..it's not easy ,life isn't easy for most 

17 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yep, I, you, and all of us will die.......................................:coffee1:

Yes thanks Brian for bring a realist  👍

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2024 at 6:51 AM, Harsh Jones said:

How poor are  British ppl ?? Multiple ppl can't scrape together a few thousand?

Many people in UK live from one pay check till the next, particularly lower skilled people.  Welfare state means that no need for emergency savings, although sometimes takes some weeks to get the help you need. Unfortunately cost of living in the UK is high and to many do not have a savings habit.

13% have no savings at all

33% have insufficient to last one month if they lost their income.

65% have insufficient to last three months if they lost their income.

Cost of housing is astronomical, many require government assistance to even rent. Many food banks.

In many ways like Thais - live for today (or this week) no plan for the future. Nothing is done in schools in UK to prepare children to be financially independent.

Even my son, 1st class degree and a masters from Cambridge, found it hard to budget and save once working, took him a couple of years (and a lot of advice from me) to get him started.

I think part of the problem is in the past kids lived at home after they started work, and could pick up some common sense from their parents. Now they stay in education until 21 or older, but no common sense.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

If anyone in my family dies I'm not going back to the US.
If I die I don't want anyone to come over here.

If anyone is going to travel - do it to visit a live person!  I'd be ecstatic to actually see a family member travel over here to visit while I'm still kicking.

I posted elsewhere - A cremation should not set you back more than maybe 10,000 THB - 30,000 tops here in Thailand.  When you're dead, you're dead. You "need" a wooden box and a hot oven. And that costs next to nothing here.  You don't need a fancy funeral.  Your family can have memorial services in your home country.  You are gone! All of the expense discussed by the OP is really unnecessary. 

I've already discussed this with my wife and family.  I find it odd that people travel overseas and then think they are immune to death.  Think that through before you travel and plan accordingly.  Sound harsh.  Apologies.  But to this day I simply don't understand Westerner's morbid fascination with death and the equally fascinating manner they deal with it.  And then add on top of it a load of unnecessary debt.  Nope - I don't understand. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

I've already discussed this with my wife and family.  I find it odd that people travel overseas and then think they are immune to death.  Think that through before you travel and plan accordingly.  Sound harsh. 

Would you go back for your mother's or father s funeral if they were still alive ?

• Agree 1

On 8/17/2024 at 1:21 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

If you cannot be bothered to visit a family member regularly during their life, why bother to attend the funeral?

They didn't say they didn't visit him. The daughters obviously kept in touch. The wife on the phone but she didn't say she wanted to go to the funeral. 

• Agree 1