When it's actually easier to steal than to be honest, what to do?

Y'all are over thinking this one, as some social experiment.

Some guy almost got a free steak, and some guy or gal didn't get theirs, is probably pissed, and probably called to get one delivered, maybe popped out to 7-11 for a quicker meal instead..

The world isn't coming to an end, society isn't imploding, and the world economies aren't collapsing.

'I'm here to help' ... 'I don't steal' ... 'take food from the baby' ... :cheesy:

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Someone would of got in trouble if you'd kept the steaks

Mate, you must be a stupid  do gooder idiot !! you gave the steaks to the delivery boys and  what do you reckon they would have done with  them  ??given back to the store...? NO they would have rang their missus to fire up the charcoal grill and invite everybody for a big feast. When the store does a stocktake and finds where the steaks went YOU are gonna be in the shxt not the delivery boys who would deny any knowledge you dummy !!

Holy crap ... need to stop speed reading.  Missed this entirely ...

... "I had a grocery delivery" ...

Again, I wouldn't have notice, as probably wouldn't have checked, unless vendor had a habit of screwing orders up.

Would have simply kept, unless ordered from a very small family vendor, then I would have personally returned it to the vendor, if not too inconvenient, or called them direct for pick up.  Though depending how much steak.   One or 2 pieces, <1kg and I probably wouldn't have bothered, and enjoyed a nice steak dinner.

But if stocking up like I do,  especially beef, then it might be a considerable amount.

27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It seems like when we get deliveries, they take everything out and check against the bill.

Never had groceries delivered.   Can't imagine not picking out my own perishables.

Even when we bought some processed foods, it never crossed my mind to have delivered, since we'll be there anyway, to get perishables.   Maybe if we lived out of town, although don't know their (Makro's) delivery range.

Before we were 16 kms away, now <4 kms.  

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

the feeling that rather than being grateful and respecting me for being honest and giving it back, 

I had a recent run in with my father in law. He has a car on permanent loan to me, although he occasionally uses it.  A small dog ran out from nearside)) in front of me whilst on the move at about 40 kph ( small country road) . I braked but not too hard as neither my wife in the passenger seat not those in the back were belted up. Even so everyone in the car lurched forward. The little dog hit the front bumper on the offside, yelped, rolled a couple of times and ran off. The damage to the car was a small 4 cm crack in the lower half of the bumper.

As it is his car, instead of feigning ignorance as to the cause eg: dunno, may be it happened while parked in Big C car park or something, I thought that out of respect and honesty I should show him the crack and explain how it happened. He went ape <deleted> wailing as if it was the end of the world. He then spent the next hour repeatedly and theatrically opening and closing the bonnet loudly, looking underneath, starting and stopping the engine. Finally he stormed off, not looking at me, confiscating the keys so I could not use the car. Finally he calmed down after 3 days, returning the keys without a word. Honesty is never the best policy with a Thai it seems.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Never had groceries delivered.   Can't imagine not picking out my own perishables.

Even when we bought some processed foods, it never crossed my mind to have delivered, since we'll be there anyway, to get perishables.   Maybe if we lived out of town, although don't know their (Makro's) delivery range.

Before we were 16 kms away, now <4 kms.  

I never have fresh meat or produce delivered, but it nice to keep the Makro cart open and just add stuff each day and get a delivery every week or two.  I mostly just buy the same stuff over and over again anyway so it's all on my list, delivery is free, and it's nice that they carry it upstairs. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

I use Tops which in Pattaya means central food hall.

The only perishables I buy from them are some fruits, some vegetable, and occasional yogurt and eggs. They often have promotions on bulk broccolli which is a favorite. Some items are overpriced so I avoid those.

I understand not trusting stores to pick good produce but Tops has been near perfect for me going for several years already and it's a great convenience as they have a much wider variety than nearby options. I go local to buy chicken, etc.

The one paimful.exception and problem area is avocados. For those it's a crap shoot. But avocados are a notoriously risky item to buy as far as wastage so I can't really blame them. During some seasons even if a pack of them arrives firm they will all end up going from that directly to rotten anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I never have fresh meat or produce delivered, but it nice to keep the Makro cart open and just add stuff each day and get a delivery every week or two.  I mostly just buy the same stuff over and over again anyway so it's all on my list, delivery is free, and it's nice that they carry it upstairs. 

Did cross my mind a couple times, to get some things delivered, when in a lazy mood.  But I do drive by Makro every day, like now, on the way to park and or surf.

image.png.558ce592933b3b1caf6112ab6549ffb0.png

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah you're probably right but maybe someone got in trouble because I didn't take it, ha ha.

No,

I would have done the same as you and given it back. I don't doubt, some poor Thai would have ended up having their wages docked.

A possible chance it could have been detected that it went to you, although it would be difficult for them to prove.

20 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

No,

I would have done the same as you and given it back. I don't doubt, some poor Thai would have ended up having their wages docked.

A possible chance it could have been detected that it went to you, although it would be difficult for them to prove.

Yeah I don't know their internal record systems and I don’t care to know. But it would have been funny if they came by while I was cooking the meat.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did cross my mind a couple times, to get some things delivered, when in a lazy mood.  But I do drive by Makro every day, like now, on the way to park and or surf.

image.png.558ce592933b3b1caf6112ab6549ffb0.png

I have no vehicle and I don’t want one.

Delivery services are a Godsend.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have no vehicle and I don’t want one.

Delivery services are a Godsend.

I'd be bored without wheels.  I'm happiest living  just out of town, so almost a requirement.  Here, out of town isn't very far, but wheels help, for my lazy butt.   

I need my O&As, seem to always have and always will.  After a month or so, or even a week, I have to go and see, do something different.

Edited by KhunLA

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well the delivery guys were truly flabbergasted. They got very agitated and didn't seem to know what to do. They insisted that I inspect the printed receipt that they bring. which I did.

Presumably, such mistakes don't often occur, it would be surprising in case of such a large amount, and they wished to make sure the mistake wasn't on your part, for your own benefit.

So they reluctantly took it back

Regretful and puzzled that such a mistake happened, poor reflection on the company

looking like they still had no idea how it got there in the first place or who it actually should be delivered to, if anyone

After all, it was true that they in fact still had no idea how it got there in the first place or who it actually should be delivered to, if anyone. Why should they instantly know that? It'd take some detailed checking, with the help of staff at the store, and these guys had other deliveries to make.

So their "look" merely reflected that reality. Note that they didn't look at you as if you are an idiot, unless you're subconsciously projecting.

of course I can't really read the delivery guy's minds

As is evident.

they rather considered me a fool for not keeping it.

A misreading that reflects negative stereotyping.

being honest became a bit of an annoying hassle for me

Yeah, that, now, was awfully rough. Smiling and politeness usually make the correction of others' mistakes, even if they're not directly to blame, go pleasantly. But read your Ezekiel; it's only to be expected. 

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.

My last Makro delivery similarly came with an extra item. Looking puzzled, I said, in Thai, "Excuse me, I didn't order this, krub" and showed it to the delivery guys. They looked similarly puzzled, and we checked the order together. So the lead guy smiled and said, "Thank you," seemingly happy I'd not stolen it.

In the course of the checking, however, we discovered that an item I'd ordered was NOT in the box. I expressed no indignation but waited. They apologized and promised to bring it later in the day. They didn't, of course, but they did send someone by with it the next day. All good.

Edited by BigStar

OK, a bit of a funny situation.

I had a grocery delivery.

It came and the perishable goods were given in a closed bag.

My routine is to tell the delivery guys to wait a minute while I inspect the order and close the door. 

So I open the bag part and there is an extra item I didn't order.

A huge portion of premium imported beef steaks.

I never order steaks and without a thought, I double check that I didn't order it by accident and then proceeded to open the door and hand over the mistake (or missed - steak if you please).

Well the delivery guys were truly flabbergasted. They got very agitated and didn't seem to know what to do. They insisted that I inspect the printed receipt that they bring. which I did. The total would have been triple my total if I had ordered it.

So they reluctantly took it back, looking like they still had no idea how it got there in the first place or who it actually should be delivered to, if anyone, then I paid, and bye bye.

So why this story?

Why didn't I just keep the steaks? 

I'm not vegetarian after all.

Suppose they later deduced that I was primary suspect based on their delivery history and which customers got closed bags?

Well so what? They could prove it how?

Would you have kept the steaks assuming you realized you could get away with it?

Would your first thought be automatically I'm handing it back OR thinking about or even keeping it?

The x factor was that being honest became a bit of an annoying hassle for me as they didn't seem to want it back. 

Also and of course I can't really read the delivery guy's minds I kind of got the feeling that rather than being grateful and respecting me for being honest and giving it back, that they rather considered me a fool for not keeping it.

Like if it was them, they would have kept it, so what kind of freak is this farang?

I would handed it back, always do when I find to much change or likewise 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK, a bit of a funny situation.

I had a grocery delivery.

It came and the perishable goods were given in a closed bag.

My routine is to tell the delivery guys to wait a minute while I inspect the order and close the door. 

So I open the bag part and there is an extra item I didn't order.

A huge portion of premium imported beef steaks.

I never order steaks and without a thought, I double check that I didn't order it by accident and then proceeded to open the door and hand over the mistake (or missed - steak if you please).

Well the delivery guys were truly flabbergasted. They got very agitated and didn't seem to know what to do. They insisted that I inspect the printed receipt that they bring. which I did. The total would have been triple my total if I had ordered it.

So they reluctantly took it back, looking like they still had no idea how it got there in the first place or who it actually should be delivered to, if anyone, then I paid, and bye bye.

So why this story?

Why didn't I just keep the steaks? 

I'm not vegetarian after all.

Suppose they later deduced that I was primary suspect based on their delivery history and which customers got closed bags?

Well so what? They could prove it how?

Would you have kept the steaks assuming you realized you could get away with it?

Would your first thought be automatically I'm handing it back OR thinking about or even keeping it?

The x factor was that being honest became a bit of an annoying hassle for me as they didn't seem to want it back. 

Also and of course I can't really read the delivery guy's minds I kind of got the feeling that rather than being grateful and respecting me for being honest and giving it back, that they rather considered me a fool for not keeping it.

Like if it was them, they would have kept it, so what kind of freak is this farang?

I got 12 free bottles of wine. I waited a week to see if anyone returned to pick it up. They did not so I drank them.

16 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

So, you are thinking that a large multinational might have more fat to trim? Now that is crazy - - you see it is not who you cheat but that you cheat. 

OK In Australia where I spend most of my time no one's getting their wages docked and in fact they wouldn't bother picking it up if something extra was in the bag. In fact the likely outcome is the packer getting told off so best to keep it. Maybe different in Thailand.  Maybe not . 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

This reminds me of the time I bought some travellers cheques from a random bank in London, about 50 years ago.

Returning home, I realised that I had the cheques and the cash I had taken to pay for them i.e. I had been been given the cheques without paying for them. I returned to pay the bank. Instead of thanking me for my honesty, the bank staff were offensive, saying I should be grateful that they would not have me arrested for theft.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'd be bored without wheels.  I'm happiest living  just out of town, so almost a requirement.  Here, out of town isn't very far, but wheels help, for my lazy butt.   

I need my O&As, seem to always have and always will.  After a month or so, or even a week, I have to go and see, do something different.

You be you 

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

OK In Australia where I spend most of my time no one's getting their wages docked and in fact they wouldn't bother picking it up if something extra was in the bag. In fact the likely outcome is the packer getting told off so best to keep it. Maybe different in Thailand.  Maybe not . 

Yeah, I think the difference is that I was trying to point out that if you cheat, it is not good for you...  people who cheat are cheaters... people who constantly demean others are what they are too... 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jingthing

You did absolutely the right thing. No need to do a number on yourself for that.

In fact. it confirms the generally positive impression you've made on me on the forum. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

By the way, with some quoting Ezekiel and what have you: didn't you hear what Jesus said on The Mount? "Blessed are those who don't steal steaks, for they shall be rewarded with a stake in heaven."

Edited by BusyB

8 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You are not responsible for wage docking, it being noticed or packers being told off or any other such matters completely beyond your control in an unfair world.

You are only responsible for not being a thief. Or not. Up to you. But actually the only thing well within your power. Regardless of where in the world you are.

15 hours ago, BusyB said:

You are only responsible for not being a thief. Or not. Up to you. But actually the only thing well within your power.

Solipsism can only succeed in a madhouse.

— A. Schopenhauer

Being responsible for being a thief means that you will also be responsible for setting into motion a chain of events external to your theft.

A customer who expected to receive the item you stole notices it missing and refuses to pay or requests a refund, hence loss of revenue for the company. The delivery person may also have noticed it's missing or so be informed. He may happen to remember which customer received it, which may turn into an issue for you as the responsible thief. In the OP's case, a huge portion of premium imported beef steaks stands out rather distinctively.

The back office learns of the item, and revenue, gone missing; the search begins for where it may have gone and who made the mistake(s) that enabled the loss. Eventually, someone's fingered who will regret being fingered. To what degree, one may only speculate. Depends on the management and its policies. Will an apology be sufficient? Docking of pay? Delayed promotion? A transfer? A loss of face, to be sure.

You may imagine that lil' ol' you, just grabbing what wrongly fell into your hands, had nothing to do with any of the issues resulting from your theft of which you may not be aware. Out of sight, out of mind.🙂 In fact, however, you did. Whether that bothers your conscience also depends. Our thieves on the forum will blithely shrug it off and enjoy their winnings. Heh. Our honest souls with a sense of responsibility extending to others will be glad they remained true to their principles.  

Edited by BigStar
  • Love It 1

18 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yeah, I think the difference is that I was trying to point out that if you cheat, it is not good for you...  people who cheat are cheaters... people who constantly demean others are what they are too... 

I hear you .. I have a theory though that if you try to hard at being good all the time in every situation you end up being bad. Human nature. So I don't sweat the small stuff and if I get a small advantage on something and no one gets hurt then no big deal.. worry about the bigger things. I could go into further detail but it would be boring. 

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Solipsism can only succeed in a madhouse.

— A. Schopenhauer

Being responsible for being a thief means that you will also be responsible for setting into motion a chain of events external to your theft.

A customer who expected to receive the item you stole notices it missing and refuses to pay or requests a refund, hence loss of revenue for the company. The delivery person may also have noticed it's missing or so be informed. He may happen to remember which customer received it, which may turn into an issue for you as the responsible thief. In the OP's case, a huge portion of premium imported beef steaks stands out rather distinctively.

The back office learns of the item, and revenue, gone missing; the search begins for where it may have gone and who made the mistake(s) that enabled the loss. Eventually, someone's fingered who will regret being fingered. To what degree, one may only speculate. Depends on the management and its policies. Will an apology be sufficient? Docking of pay? Delayed promotion? A transfer? A loss of face, to be sure.

You may imagine that lil' ol' you, just grabbing what wrongly fell into your hands, had nothing to do with any of the issues resulting from your theft of which you may not be aware. Out of sight, out of mind.🙂 In fact, however, you did. Whether that bothers your conscience also depends. Our thieves on the forum will blithely shrug it off and enjoy their winnings. Heh. Our honest souls with a sense of responsibility extending to others will be glad they remained true to their principles.  

You may also simply see and say "Hey, that's not mine" and give it straight back.

Life's decisions can be so easy.