Paetongtarn Shinawatra Officially Endorsed as Thailand's Prime Minister

image.jpeg

Thailand's former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, left, and his daughter and newly elected Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra arrive before the royal endorsement ceremony appointing Paetongtarn as Thailand's new prime minister at Pheu Thai party headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand, Sunday, Aug. 18, 2024. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit).

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, daughter of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was officially endorsed as Thailand's 31st Prime Minister on August 18 by His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn. This momentous occasion took place at a privately-owned hall on Vibhavadi Road, marking Paetongtarn's formal entry into the nation's highest office.

The 38-year-old Prime Minister also serves as the leader of the Pheu Thai Party, which is the main force within the current coalition government. Her rise to power follows the recent majority vote by coalition MPs, securing her position as head of the government.

Paetongtarn succeeds Srettha Thavisin, who was recently impeached and removed from office by the Constitutional Court due to violations of the constitution and political ethics. Her new administration will feature many ministers from the previous cabinet, ensuring continuity in governance.

Under the leadership of Paetongtarn, the Pheu Thai Party, with its 141 MPs, will hold 16 ministerial positions, including that of the Prime Minister. The coalition structure includes the Bhumjaithai Party with 70 MPs, holding eight cabinet seats; the Palang Pracharath Party with 40 MPs, and the Ruam Thai Sang Chart Party with 36 MPs, each holding four cabinet seats. Additionally, the Chart Thai Pattana Party with 10 MPs and the Prachachart Party with nine MPs will each secure one cabinet seat.

Thaksin Shinawatra, despite not holding an official position, is expected to play a significant role behind the scenes in shaping the new cabinet and distributing ministerial positions among the coalition partners, similar to his influence in the previous administration.

Paetongtarn's entry into politics is relatively recent; she had no prior political experience before being named one of the Pheu Thai Party's candidates for last year's general election. Unlike many of her predecessors, she has never served as an MP, held any government position, or even been an official member of her father's party until last year.

As Paetongtarn takes the helm, Thailand looks to the future with cautious optimism, observing how this fresh leadership will navigate the nation's political landscape.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-19

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

Paetongtarn Shinawatra officially becomes Thailand’s 31st prime minister

image.jpeg

Pheu Thai party leader Paetongtarn Shinawatra has officially become Thailand’s 31st prime minister today, following the granting of Royal assent by His Majesty the King.

A ceremony was held this morning at the Voice Space building in Bangkok, the head office of the Pheu Thai party,where the Royal Command was read by the secretary-general of the House of Representatives Arpath Sukhanunth to Paetongtarn in front of a portrait of the King.

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who became a free man today, several senior members of the Pheu Thai party and selected guests were present at the ceremony.

After the reading, the new prime minister said that she is honoured, proud and grateful for being royally appointed. She vowed that she will perform her duties using her utmost efforts with loyalty and honesty for the benefit of the country and the people.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-08-19

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sidneybear said:

What free world? It doesn't matter who you vote for, you get the same thing. The west is no different. 

Disagree. At least america still has some semblance of democracy, or else people wouldnt be so emotional over it. Thais are apathetic about their government because they have given up.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

:clap2:This is the complete restoration of the wrongdoing from the Army to oust 2 elected Shinawatras .....better now late as never ....👍

🙏

Edited by david555
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, left, and his daughter and newly elected Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra arrive before the royal endorsement ceremony appointing Paetongtarn as Thailand's new prime minister at Pheu Thai party headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand,

He is on parole right?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

So her father stole large sums of money had different schemes going on left the country for I don’t know 15 years flies back in his personal private jet worth over 65 million never serves a day in prison and your aunt also convicted of stealing was able to leave the country and living the good life overseas Which I think she’ll be back soon and fully pardoned and then the daughter who has never had a political office is in charge p.m. is there something terribly wrong about this picture or is it just me? TIT

Yes.... what is a man on parole with supposedly no connections to the government and no employment doing dressed in whites with all the bling doing ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes.... what is a man on parole with supposedly no connections to the government and no employment doing dressed in whites with all the bling doing ?

Celebrating i guess....:cheesy:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

So her father stole large sums of money had different schemes going on left the country for I don’t know 15 years flies back in his personal private jet worth over 65 million never serves a day in prison and your aunt also convicted of stealing was able to leave the country and living the good life overseas Which I think she’ll be back soon and fully pardoned and then the daughter who has never had a political office is in charge p.m. is there something terribly wrong about this picture or is it just me? TIT

There's nothing wrong, it's THAILAND !!!

57 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Meanwhile, in America, the choice from millions of clever folk is Trump or Harris. In the UK it was Sunak or Starmer. Two parties to choose from are like two cheeks of the same arse. What kind of a democracy is that?

It's the kind where you get to vote every 4 years and the outcome is the result of the vote......NOT like here.

5 hours ago, mdr224 said:

Why does thailand even have elections? Their faux democracy makes it so the free world can never take them seriously.

There has been example of  part-time teacher elevated to Prime Minister in your definition of "free world",   happened not that long ago either.  

Yes,  Family name and family connection do matter.   She got the Prime Minister position  because of family name and family connection.  

So was Canada Justin Trudeau ( once part-time teacher )  in 2015.   

So was Philippines Marcos Jr in 2022.   

BTW  her rise to the top post had been in accordance to al rules and laws of Thailand. 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, sscc said:

There has been example of  part-time teacher elevated to Prime Minister in your definition of "free world",   happened not that long ago either.  

Yes,  Family name and family connection do matter.   She got the Prime Minister position  because of family name and family connection.  

So was Canada Justin Trudeau ( once part-time teacher )  in 2015.   

So was Philippines Marcos Jr in 2022.   

BTW  her rise to the top post had been in accordance to al rules and laws of Thailand. 

That is correct her rise is according to the laws of Thailand,  and there is the problem the rules and laws need to be changed, to stop the likes of Thaskin, Prawit, EC and other junta controlling gov departments. Thailand is now controlled by a Convicted Criminal  I thought having a convicted drug dealer in the government was bad, but this guys is a Killer gangster and totally corrupt. Amazing Thailand !!!!!!  

2 hours ago, Suua said:

It's the kind where you get to vote every 4 years and the outcome is the result of the vote......NOT like here.

What kind of a democracy presents its electorate with Harris or Trump, from all the clever and capable folk in the US? The outcome is the same: degeneration, moral decay and increasing poverty. 

At least Thailand has a progressive left and a conservative right.

• Love It 1

All know that the young Thai Prime Minister is going to seek advise from her father. 

Yes,  there is   "Buy one get one free " concept  for her rise in Thai politics.

However, it is not just Thailand,  it happened elsewhere too. 

There is similarity to the Hen Family in Cambodia Election 2023 as the son taking over. 

It also happened in USA 

Yes, USA and true to the facts that USA Hillary Clinton openly promote 

"Buy one get one free"  as one of Hillary campaign slogan. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, daughter of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was officially endorsed as Thailand's 31st Prime Minister on August 18 by His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn.

Will that be recognized by the Constitutional Court in 8 years? Like it wasn't for PM Prayut in 2023.

2 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

I thought I read on here that his parole was over and he is now a free citizen, I may be wrong.

No  I think you're right... he was recently granted a full pardon..

But begs the question as he is unemployed why he was wearing a white uniform full of gold braid and badges when he accompanied his daughter to become PM.

Surely that uniform is reserved for acting civil servants?

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No  I think you're right... he was recently granted a full pardon..

But begs the question as he is unemployed why he was wearing a white uniform full of gold braid and badges when he accompanied his daughter to become PM.

Surely that uniform is reserved for acting civil servants?

They do love their uniforms.

However, you're bang on, he has no right to wear it.

10 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

I thought I read on here that his parole was over and he is now a free citizen, I may be wrong.

According to Thai press reports his 'release' was brought forward to Sunday (yesterday) but no mention of the certificate being issued.

5 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

According to Thai press reports his 'release' was brought forward to Sunday (yesterday) but no mention of the certificate being issued.

OK, I may have read it wrong, I thought it was done and dusted, certificate et al.

10 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Yes he is free of parole but he is still a convicted Felon no matter what

2 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Yes he is free of parole but he is still a convicted Felon no matter what

Same is Prayut a coup maker ...which is punishable by dead sentence as high treason ....T.I.T

• Like 1