Keir Starmer’s Pragmatic Approach to Defeating the Far Right: Filling Potholes

Social Media

43 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your usual ‘I’m all right Jack hogwash’.

If it were easy home ownership figures for the young would be much higher than they are.

Without a substantial bung from parents or grandparents most young people can’t get near affording a home of their own these days.

https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/housing-needs-of-young-people/

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/property-news/homeownership-rate-falls-among-young-people/

Nothing to do with my circumstances. 

I'm not young so not the topic of conversation.

Many young people get on the housing ladder. 

40 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Its not, these days people cannot no longer afford to buy homes on regular wages .

Pervious generations even people on small wages could afford to buy homes , 

Incorrect. 

The issue is that the scaremongers use average national house prices to compare salaries for first time buyers.

They shouldn't. They should use mean prices by region.

In the area where I live there are 3 bed houses for £170k. That's 4x salary at minimum wage 35 hours a week. In 1989 my partner and I could only afford a 1 bed flat at 37.5 hours a week and 4.5x salary.

The same 1 bed flat now is 3x salary. 

Interest rates were also higher. At least 2x compared to current rates and,at one time, 3x.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Incorrect. 

The issue is that the scaremongers use average national house prices to compare salaries for first time buyers.

They shouldn't. They should use mean prices by region.

In the area where I live there are 3 bed houses for £170k. That's 4x salary at minimum wage 35 hours a week. In 1989 my partner and I could only afford a 1 bed flat at 37.5 hours a week and 4.5x salary.

The same 1 bed flat now is 3x salary. 

Interest rates were also higher. At least 2x compared to current rates and,at one time, 3x.

I was talking about the 1960's and 1970's , NOT 1989

10 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I was talking about the 1960's and 1970's , NOT 1989

You said "people in their 60/70s." Then you confirmed " now" when referring to that age group.

I'm quite sure people of that age were buying properties in 1989. In fact I know they were.

Edited by youreavinalaff

6 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

People in their 60/70's had it easy in their life .

Plenty of high paying jobs and council houses for everyone .

These days , people often just work to survive 

Perhaps because they bought then sold off their council houses to BTL landlords and trashed their own unions. 

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

I originally said 70's and then changed that to 70's ?

You know what you wrote. 

It's there to see.

That's probably why you cropped my comment and then ignored part of what you did quote. 

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You said 60s and 70s. Then you changed it to 70s. Now you've changed it to 70s who bought a house when they were 20.

My point all along is that people previously had it easier than they do today , it was previously easier to get higher paying jobs where you could buy a house .

These days you need a very high paying job to be able to afford to buy a house 

9 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

My point all along is that people previously had it easier than they do today , it was previously easier to get higher paying jobs where you could buy a house .

These days you need a very high paying job to be able to afford to buy a house 

That's not what you said.

How about 17% interest rates in 1979? Was it easy then?

Was it easy in the late 80s early 90s when interest rates were sky high, families were left in negative equity? When people were stuck paying a mortgage worth more than their property? When there was much more disparity between salaries of males and females? 

Right now in many areas of the country a couple working 35 hours a week on minimum wage can buy a property. With interest rates at what they are and likely to go down, now is not a difficult time for many. 

Edited by youreavinalaff

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Right now in many areas of the country a couple working 35 hours a week on minimum wage can buy a property. With interest rates at what they are and likely to go down, now is not a difficult time for many. 

If you worked 35 hours on minimum wage , you would earn 20 000 GBP per year , two people would be on 40 000 a year and you could get a 120 000 mortgage on that wage , the average UK house price is 282 000 Pounds , so two people on  minimum wage wouldn't be nowhere near affording to buy a house 

If you worked 35 hours on minimum wage , you would earn 20 000 GBP per year , two people would be on 40 000 a year and you could get a 120 000 mortgage on that wage , the average UK house price is 282 000 Pounds , so two people on  minimum wage wouldn't be nowhere near affording to buy a house 

As I pointed out previously, national average property price is a fear mongering number. 

Are first time buyers going to be looking at 4,5,6 bed houses? No. Are they looking at 3 bed houses? Probably not. 

Take those properties out of the equation. First time buyers don't want them so there's no need to use the figures.

Now, look at the mean price of 1 and 2 bed properties. Where I live right now that's in the region of £135k. A couple on £40k can borrow around £140k, not £120k. 

A couple in a regular job, let's say working in a supermarket or healthcare, earn £1 an hour more than minimum wage, sometimes more. That's circa £3600 a year more, giving them the ability to borrow a further £12600 a year.

That's a total borrow of £152600. Add deposit. With interest rates low, and going down, it's a good situation to be in. They have a choice of many properties.

• Sad 1

As I pointed out previously, national average property price is a fear mongering number. 

Are first time buyers going to be looking at 4,5,6 bed houses? No. Are they looking at 3 bed houses? Probably not. 

Take those properties out of the equation. First time buyers don't want them so there's no need to use the figures.

Now, look at the mean price of 1 and 2 bed properties. Where I live right now that's in the region of £135k. A couple on £40k can borrow around £140k, not £120k. 

The average price for a 2 bedroom house in the UK is £255,747 (Zoopla, 2022)

That is way above what two minimum wage earners could afford .

What area do you live in ?

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The average price for a 2 bedroom house in the UK is £255,747 (Zoopla, 2022)

That is way above what two minimum wage earners could afford .

What area do you live in ?

Again, you are using average prices across the nation. You should, at best, use mean prices.

However, as you are insistent on using average prices, why not use average salaries? That's a couple on £70000 pa. With deposit, a couple on average wage can afford an average priced property.

I live in SW England. A very pleasant place to live. Nice properties, good jobs market, not that I need a job. Our 2 bed flat was well below your average figure, by about 40%, and yet more expensive than many other areas of UK.

Again, you are using average prices across the nation. You should, at best, use mean prices.

However, as you are insistent on using average prices, why not use average salaries? That's a couple on £70000 pa. With deposit, a couple on average wage can afford an average priced property.

I live in SW England. A very pleasant place to live. Nice properties, good jobs market, not that I need a job. Our 2 bed flat was well below your average figure, by about 40%, and yet more expensive than many other areas of UK.

Can you post some links to 2 bedroom properties for 140 000 GBP in SW England ?

8 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Can you post some links to 2 bedroom properties for 140 000 GBP in SW England ?

Here is Devon. That's in SW, in case you didn't know.

Rightmove won't keep the filters when i post the link. I went onto Rightmove. Filtered min 2 beds max 2 beds and max £140k. 599 properties. Here's a copy of the search results.

Screenshot_20240822_174842_Chrome.jpg

Edited by youreavinalaff

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Here is Devon. That's in SW, in case you didn't know.

Rightmove won't keep the filters when i post the link. I went onto Rightmove. Filtered min 2 beds max 2 beds and max £140k. 599 properties. Here's a copy of the search results.

Screenshot_20240822_174842_Chrome.jpg

Most of those are holiday homes in caravan parks 

Why cant you post a link like this ?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/151555328#/?channel=RES_BUY

26 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Most of those are holiday homes in caravan parks 

Why cant you post a link like this ?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/151555328#/?channel=RES_BUY

No, they are not.

Look again. 

Also, i did say mean price. Of course there are more expensive properties. There are also cheaper. 

Why couldn't you link to this,

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/143104694?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

Or this

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/142493459?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

Or this

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/151284125?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

There are hundreds more. I'm not going to link to all of them. The three I've linked to prove they are there. The screenshot proves there are over 500 properties for sale in Devon at £140k.

I also did searches for random counties in UK. South Yorkshire, Lancashire, Lincolnshire, County Durham, Cumbria, Norfolk, Suffolk, Shropshire, Somerset, Leistershire, Derbyshire, to name a few. All showing hundreds, in some cases thousands, of 2 bed properties at £140k or less.

Edited by youreavinalaff

16 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yet more misrepresentation of reality.

Not really.

The Home Office is already declaring the people arrested as criminals before they've even gone to trial. Prejudicial much? Guilty until proven innocent appears to be Starmer's motto. 

At least Starmer could give them their day in court before locking them up for publicly disagreeing with him.

image.png.beb8f0aea32e003d27cef554c50f6d96.png

6 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

No, they are not.

Look again. 

Also, i did say mean price. Of course there are more expensive properties. There are also cheaper. 

Why couldn't you link to this,

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/143104694?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

Or this

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/142493459?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

Or this

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/151284125?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

There are hundreds more. I'm not going to link to all of them. The three I've linked to prove they are there. The screenshot proves there are over 500 properties for sale in Devon at £140k.

I also did searches for random counties in UK. South Yorkshire, Lancashire, Lincolnshire, County Durham, Cumbria, Norfolk, Suffolk, Shropshire, Somerset, Leistershire, Derbyshire, to name a few. All showing hundreds, in some cases thousands, of 2 bed properties at £140k or less.

My point was that in pervious generations one person working  could afford to buy a house , these days it needs two people working in order to buy a house .

17 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Was your claim that he labelled all the people of Northern Ireland to be racist , was that a correct claim ?

"All" the people.

You might want to re-read that. 

16 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

The way Keir fast tracked the sentencing and jailing of the troublemakers makes me think what could have been during Covid if he had of been in charge instead of Bumbling Boris. 

Brexit would not have been so botched either.

Smart fellow that Keir. 

He has my vote again.

A multimillionaire "Sir" with interest in the working class?? I don't think so.

16 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Read the whole sentence .

People who are in their 60's 70's NOW , had an easy life when they were younger 

I believe that is the case, not so much capitalism then. Power bills?? Massive profits??

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Not really.

The Home Office is already declaring the people arrested as criminals before they've even gone to trial. Prejudicial much? Guilty until proven innocent appears to be Starmer's motto. 

At least Starmer could give them their day in court before locking them up for publicly disagreeing with him.

image.png.beb8f0aea32e003d27cef554c50f6d96.png

We have needed a strong leader for many years now.

Keir is the man.

The snowflakes will complain but us hard men know that it is needed. 
With the huge majority he has he will in for at least three terms so will be able to make plans past the next election cycle.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

My point was that in pervious generations one person working  could afford to buy a house , these days it needs two people working in order to buy a house .

No, that was not your point.

Everytime your point is proved wrong, you change it.

Even if it was your point, it's wrong. A single person on an average national wage can buy any of the properties I posted.

Edited by youreavinalaff

18 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No, that was not your point.

Everytime your point is proved wrong, you change it.

Even if it was your point, it's wrong. A single person on an average national wage can buy any of the properties I posted.

It was my point here is the point again 

"People in their 60/70's had it easy in their life .

These days , people often just work to survive" 

The UK average salary is 34 000 GBP , which would enable you to buy a house for 110 000 Pounds , 

It was my point here is the point again 

"People in their 60/70's had it easy in their life .

These days , people often just work to survive" 

The UK average salary is 34 000 GBP , which would enable you to buy a house for 110 000 Pounds , 

The average 2024 salary is actually over £35k. When at 2023 rate you conveniently changed the last 3 digits to zeros.

Lenders will lend a single person 4x salary. 4x 35 is 140. Add a deposit, a single person on average wage can buy the 3 properties I listed, along with the other 596 in the search, and that's just one county.

As I posted previously, there are many other counties with properties at the same price or cheaper.

Your previous comment, which you reposted above, says nothing about a single salary. 

As I said, as soon as your points get proved wrong, you change them.

Edited by youreavinalaff