Keir Starmer’s Pragmatic Approach to Defeating the Far Right: Filling Potholes

Social Media

8 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The average 2024 salary is actually over £35k. When at 2023 rate you conveniently changed the last 3 digits to zeros.

Do you really have to contradict everything I say ?

The median annual earnings for full-time employees in the United Kingdom was approximately 34,963 British pounds in 2023, compared with 33,061 pounds in the previous year.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Do you really have to contradict everything I say ?

The median annual earnings for full-time employees in the United Kingdom was approximately 34,963 British pounds in 2023, compared with 33,061 pounds in the previous year.

No. Not when you contradict yourself.

You said the average salary was £34000. You now post it's £34963. I'd already pointed out you conveniently changed the last 3 digits to zeros.

I said, the average wage in 2024 is over £35k. You've tried to correct that with a figure for 2023. 

Try to keep up. You might be able to stop embarrassing yourself.

Anyway, just to keep you happy, let's use your figure. At £34963, a single salary can buy the properties I listed. Along with the other 596 properties on the list and the thoseands of properties in other counties listed at the same price or lower.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Again, you are using average prices across the nation. You should, at best, use mean prices.

However, as you are insistent on using average prices, why not use average salaries? That's a couple on £70000 pa. With deposit, a couple on average wage can afford an average priced property.

I live in SW England. A very pleasant place to live. Nice properties, good jobs market, not that I need a job. Our 2 bed flat was well below your average figure, by about 40%, and yet more expensive than many other areas of UK.

You don’t seem to understand mathematics.

The ‘Average salary’ is weighted higher by people who earn very high salaries and weighted on all salary scales by age.

The data that matters is income of people in the age bracket 20 -35, and of course whether or not that income is secure, do they, for example, have a full 40hr per week permanent employment contract or are they on short term/zero hours contracts.

19 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The average 2024 salary is actually over £35k. When at 2023 rate you conveniently changed the last 3 digits to zeros.

Lenders will lend a single person 4x salary. 4x 35 is 140. Add a deposit, a single person on average wage can buy the 3 properties I listed, along with the other 596 in the search, and that's just one county.

As I posted previously, there are many other counties with properties at the same price or cheaper.

Your previous comment, which you reposted above, says nothing about a single salary. 

As I said, as soon as your points get proved wrong, you change them.

It is undoubtedly harder for young people to buy a house now. Not much under 350k now in the area I have property in the UK, even for starter homes. 

However, if young British people wish to vote for Labour and have open borders and celebrate  with "hilarious" dinghies full of inflatable "asylim seekers" in the crowd at Glastonbury festival then they are going to have to learn the basics of supply and demand. More people = more demand = higher prices.

Or in the case of the NHS more people = more demand = longer waiting times. 

When these turkeys vote for Christmas my sympathy is limited. 

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It is undoubtedly harder for young people to buy a house now. Not much under 350k now in the area I have property in the UK, even for starter homes. 

However, if young British people wish to vote for Labour and have open borders and celebrate  with "hilarious" dinghies full of inflatable "asylim seekers" in the crowd at Glastonbury festival then they are going to have to learn the basics of supply and demand. More people = more demand = higher prices.

Or in the case of the NHS more people = more demand = longer waiting times. 

When these turkeys vote for Christmas my sympathy is limited. 

That started with a pleasant surprise, I was in complete agreement with your first two sentences.

Then you went back to your same old.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

That started with a pleasant surprise, I was in complete agreement with your first two sentences.

Then you went back to your same old.

Yes, back to those pesky facts.

But I wasn't epxecting you to like it. As the legendary Thomas Sowell once said, people will forgive you for being wrong but they will never forgive you for being right. 

14 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Here is Devon. That's in SW, in case you didn't know.

Rightmove won't keep the filters when i post the link. I went onto Rightmove. Filtered min 2 beds max 2 beds and max £140k. 599 properties. Here's a copy of the search results.

Screenshot_20240822_174842_Chrome.jpg

Not much use to some who needs a home near where they work in the home counties.

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You don’t seem to understand mathematics.

The ‘Average salary’ is weighted higher by people who earn very high salaries and weighted on all salary scales by age.

The data that matters is income of people in the age bracket 20 -35, and of course whether or not that income is secure, do they, for example, have a full 40hr per week permanent employment contract or are they on short term/zero hours contracts.

Exactly my point regarding using average property prices. It's taken a while but finally someone understands.

Average figures cannot be used when talking about people getting on the property ladder. Whether it's average salaries or average house prices. It took turning the tables for people to realise that.

Thank the lord it's finally been recognised.

16 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Nothing to do with my circumstances. 

I'm not young so not the topic of conversation.

Many young people get on the housing ladder. 

Far fewer young people are getting on the housing ladder and many who do are doing so with a bung from mummy and daddy or grandparents.

https://blackstonesresidential.com/revealed-how-much-parents-give-their-children-to-help-them-buy-a-home/

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Far fewer young people are getting on the housing ladder and many who do are doing so with a bung from mummy and daddy or grandparents.

https://blackstonesresidential.com/revealed-how-much-parents-give-their-children-to-help-them-buy-a-home/

That's what happens when you have more people entering the country than houses being built. 

8 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Exactly my point regarding using average property prices. It's taken a while but finally someone understands.

Average figures cannot be used when talking about people getting on the property ladder. Whether it's average salaries or average house prices. It took turning the tables for people to realise that.

Thank the lord it's finally been recognised.

Now all you have to recognize young people are being priced out of the market.

House price inflation, low wages, insecure employment, and importantly the buy to let industry in direct competition with young people for low cost homes.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

People complain too much these days. Probably social media makes it worse. Life has never been easier. 

They expect the government to fix all their problems.

Far right are just dummy spitting losers who need to blame other people for their sad failed lives. 

They should just get on with it and cheer up. 

Quite right. Thank you Brian.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve read the comments thank you.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Now all you have to recognize young people are being priced out of the market.

House price inflation, low wages, insecure employment, and important my the buy to let industry in direct competition with young people for low cost homes.

Contractictory. You clearly haven't done what you said. 

As expected.

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

That's what happens when you have more people entering the country than houses being built. 

Schrödinger‘s immigrants, both and at the same time penniless, skilless, welfare seekers and inflating the cost of houses.

How many times a day do you blame immigrants Jonny? 

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. Not when you contradict yourself.

You said the average salary was £34000. You now post it's £34963.

OK, I will have to post EXACT figures in future , save posters needing to point out that its 34 963 Pounds and NOT 34 000 Pounds . 

Like people CAN actually afford to buy homes because they get an extra 963 Pounds per year , as if it makes any difference .

Anyway,  exact figures in future from me 

16 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Incorrect. 

The issue is that the scaremongers use average national house prices to compare salaries for first time buyers.

They shouldn't. They should use mean prices by region.

In the area where I live there are 3 bed houses for £170k. That's 4x salary at minimum wage 35 hours a week. In 1989 my partner and I could only afford a 1 bed flat at 37.5 hours a week and 4.5x salary.

The same 1 bed flat now is 3x salary. 

Interest rates were also higher. At least 2x compared to current rates and,at one time, 3x.

What’s the average age of first time buyers in your area and the average income of people at that age in the same area?

Or do yo want to stick with arguing local prices v national average incomes?

Edited by Chomper Higgot

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What’s the average age of first time buyers in your area and the average income of people at that age in the same area?

Or do yo want to stick with arguing local prices v national average incomes?

More proof and more contraction. All in one post. You're getting good at that.

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

r/dataisbeautiful - [OC] Salaries vs House prices in UK

People in the 1970's could easily afford to buy homes , now they cannot , graph proves it 

Changing point again. You said " people in their 60s and 70s".

You need to put interest rates on your graph too.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

More proof and more contraction. All in one post. You're getting good at that.

Says guy offering up house prices in Devon and arguing they are affordable on the basis of ‘national wage averages’.

What a mess.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Says guy offering up house prices in Devon and arguing they are affordable on the basis of ‘national wage averages’.

What a mess.

You clearly didn't read all of my comments. Had you done so, you'd know why.

Selective reading at its best. Not a surprise with you. It's to be expected.

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Schrödinger‘s immigrants, both and at the same time penniless, skilless, welfare seekers and inflating the cost of houses.

How many times a day do you blame immigrants Jonny? 

The wealthier immigrants will compete for private housing, sending prices up.

The poorer ones will get social housing, reducing the number of private properties available available for sale, sending prices (and taxes) up.

No matter how you try to twist it, more people = more demand = higher prices. 

Good for landlords like me. Not so great for young British people trying to get on in life. Still, they voted for it. 

14 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Here is Devon. That's in SW, in case you didn't know.

Rightmove won't keep the filters when i post the link. I went onto Rightmove. Filtered min 2 beds max 2 beds and max £140k. 599 properties. Here's a copy of the search results.

Screenshot_20240822_174842_Chrome.jpg

Let me help you out with average wages in Devon, so that you can argue local house price affordability on the basis of local wages.

https://www.totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-employee-salary-devon