New Street Construction Needed

Danderman123

Pattaya has bad traffic problems now, but if the City Fathers don't do some planning and construction, traffic will be impossible in a few years.

As an example, I am providing a view of northern Thappraya Road. As you can see, some streets don't connect, often separated by vacant lots.

Some of the streets on the map don't exist, or are dirt roads.

Or existing streets are so narrow that only one car can pass through. Meanwhile, vacant lots exist that could be used to make sufficiently wide passageways - if the City Fathers act soon.

In a few years, this area will be full of tall condo buildings and it will be too late to deal with the traffic.

I am using this area as an example, but it's not unique.

Screenshot_20240821_190446_Maps.jpg

• Agree 1

Road construction has been going on for several years all over the city.  They cannot just make a road on someone's empty lot.  It is all going to get much much worse. A motorbike is much faster to get around. Short of that, look forward to mass traffic jams for years to come.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They need to replace traffic lights with roundabouts where possible, too many useless lights

Thai`s are unsure of how to tackle a roundabout.......

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

they need to learn sooner or later

Agree.  They made a perfectly good one of Jomtien Second Road and it worked ok every time we used it, with sometimes a bit of a wait as some drivers were getting used to it.  However, they didn't give drivers a real chance to get used to it; I guess some people complained about it, and soon it was repaced by an extremely long traffic light.  I'd rather wait a bit at the circle, like at Dophin Circle--the wait was never as long as the traffic light.

Speaking of traffic lights, one has been added to Thepprasit Road and what a disaster.  Spouse and I were on the road the other day and we sat and sat and sat and sat.  We both said there must be an accident as traffic was backed up and not moving for such a long time.  No, a new traffic light--which is timed horribly.  We were headed to Thappraya but in the other direction to Sukhumvit the traffic was backed up all the way to the new go cart track.  Total mess.  Needless to say, we went home by a different road.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

As you can see, some streets don't connect, often separated by vacant lots.

Some of the streets on the map don't exist, or are dirt roads.

Or existing streets are so narrow that only one car can pass through. Meanwhile, vacant lots exist that could be used to make sufficiently wide passageways - if the City Fathers act soon.

Screenshot_20240821_190446_Maps.jpg

Looks about same as brain connections of the zoning planners. So about right. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, newnative said:

Agree.  They made a perfectly good one of Jomtien Second Road and it worked ok every time we used it, with sometimes a bit of a wait as some drivers were getting used to it.  However, they didn't give drivers a real chance to get used to it; I guess some people complained about it, and soon it was repaced by an extremely long traffic light.  I'd rather wait a bit at the circle, like at Dophin Circle--the wait was never as long as the traffic light.

Speaking of traffic lights, one has been added to Thepprasit Road and what a disaster.  Spouse and I were on the road the other day and we sat and sat and sat and sat.  We both said there must be an accident as traffic was backed up and not moving for such a long time.  No, a new traffic light--which is timed horribly.  We were headed to Thappraya but in the other direction to Sukhumvit the traffic was backed up all the way to the new go cart track.  Total mess.  Needless to say, we went home by a different road.  

I've not seen that new light, there was a new one at Soi Khopai which was turned off as it was similarly rubbish.

Top of Pratumnak hill needs a roundabout, that junction doesn't work

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, petermik said:

Thai`s are unsure of how to tackle a roundabout.......

they need to learn sooner or later

Thai's are too polite, when in the Roundabout they will stop to let in traffic entering from their left.

It's a mess, traffic chaos. 

There's been a few roundabouts installed over the years then removed and traffic lights installed. 

The Junction, soi Watboon and Jomtien 2nd road was a recent failure. 

10 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Pattaya has bad traffic problems now, but if the City Fathers don't do some planning and construction, traffic will be impossible in a few years.

They should put a stop to the foreigners coming to Thailand. 

Too many foreigners on the roads now, causing a nuisance, aggressive driving, yelling, screaming, blasting their horn in anger. 

Lots of road rage from these foreigners. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They need to replace traffic lights with roundabouts where possible, too many useless lights

They just don't seem to work well here. Attempts at the Dolphin and Winchester junctions were a fail!

Roundabouts won't work due to lack of spatial awareness of the indigenous population. And locals consider traffic lights to be suggestions only.

As a contrarian, my solution is to turn all the traffic lights to flashing ambers only.  Observation shows that traffic moves much smoother under these conditions. 

I recall a Saturday afternoon pre-covid.  Exited Central Festival, down Second Road, right on to Klang, right on to Third Road and down to Tai.  All the traffic lights were flashing amber, and there was hardly a vehicle in sight anywhere. Because everybody had gone to where they were going.

All the traffic lights do in Pattaya is move the traffic jam from intersection to intersection - especially when the BIB take control of the switches to "improve" the traffic flow. Oh Brother! :coffee1:

Edited by Gsxrnz

52 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

my solution is to turn all the traffic lights to flashing ambers only.  Observation shows that traffic moves much smoother under these conditions

They installed traffic lights junction Kophai and Theprasitt, been flashing amber for months. 

I travel this intersection daily and haven't seen an accident since flashing traffic lights installed. 

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

All the traffic lights do in Pattaya is move the traffic jam from intersection to intersection - especially when the BIB take control of the switches to "improve" the traffic flow. Oh Brother

So very true.... you only get a1km tailbacks on the railway line junctions with minor roads crossing it when the police get involved. 

• Like 1

Here is another future traffic disaster: the disconnect between Thappraya Road and Pratummak's Beach area.

Some of the streets on this map are only suggestions.

What is needed is a broad boulevard that would incentivize more businesses and provide smooth traffic.

If only there were some available vacant land in that area.

Screenshot_20240822_092526_Maps.jpg

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Roundabouts are no good here nobody knows how to use them.

We have 1 here right in the center of town, and 3 actions you see all the time.

1. Some seem to have no idea of going clockwise round the island, they approach and then turn right across the face,

2. Predominately the drivers reckon those approaching the roundabout have right of way, result the roundabout gets blocked up, and then

3. The shop I want is on a corner so I'll just park right in front of the shop door, and block half the traffic flow

We've just returned to God's Country after a 4 day visit to Fun City. 

It's still Fun City but traffic is horrible. They're still digging up beach road and Jontien beach road. They've been digging up beach road for at least 30+ years that I remember.

At least they seem to have better sized drainage pipes going in in Jontien. 

Theprasit has always ended up worse with each dig up. 

All these U turns shows a complete lack of any engineering planning skills, but who cares?

I had some repair work done to my driver's seat at a little Theprasit shop a few hundred meters from Sukumvit road, near a u-turn. The u-turn is not far from Sukumvit but large SUV's etc have trouble making the u-turn, with motorbike wizzing here and there, pedistrians crossing, thru traffic, disaster.

I was talking to the shop owner and he said the planning people are stupid and accidents on Teprasit all the time. He said next they will close down some of the u-turns.

While I'm winging, the hotel we always stay at has dropped the free breakfast with accommodation and charged B110 for a small beer.

Prices at the big seafood restaurant at Jontien have priced me out of their market. B300 for 3 prawns (about by weight).

Still Decathalong was a great find (thanks scuba).

21 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

If only there were some available vacant land in that area.

It is not that many years back that it was fairly open space......

Forward planning was forgotten in preference to profits. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes roundabouts and shorter traffic light changes. Now the lights are caravans. But none of these changes are going to keep up with the increasing number of Thais visiting/moving to the Pattaya area. Just look at the difference in a few years with so many Thais driving around here now and counting. 

Actually any new road construction should be flyovers at major intersections . For example a flyover @ Naklua Rd going South at roundabout. For traffic going to Beach 

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 7:49 PM, newnative said:

Speaking of traffic lights, one has been added to Thepprasit Road and what a disaster.  Spouse and I were on the road the other day and we sat and sat and sat and sat. 

He who was in charge of the new design of Thepprasit road, should be in jail

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, morrobay said:

Yes roundabouts and shorter traffic light changes. Now the lights are caravans. But none of these changes are going to keep up with the increasing number of Thais visiting/moving to the Pattaya area. Just look at the difference in a few years with so many Thais driving around here now and counting. 

What is next, controlled and paid parking at Big-C and Lotus?  This coming high season is going to be tough for driving. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 9:25 AM, morrobay said:

Actually any new road construction should be flyovers at major intersections . For example a flyover @ Naklua Rd going South at roundabout. For traffic going to Beach 

And who's the frigging idiot or idiots that that decided it was a good idea to block off uturn sections and direct you to do that uturn at the traffic lights?