How on earth do you Diet in Thailand ?

Pad Krappow is my favourite Thai dish...........but I only have one or two a month.

How many calories are in pad kra pow?

Energy: 547 calories   (well over 600 calories if you stick on an egg or two,)

Protein37g

Carbs67g

Fat15g

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

You'll have to find a restaurant that makes food in a healthy manner. There are many who use old oil, too much sugar and salt. Tell them exactly what you want and don't want. It's your food so letting them know how you'd like it prepared tells them you are concerned with what you are eating. Of course some won't understand nor care. I ask for mi pet all the time, just a little chili, and to some this means throw three in when I mean one. Some understand a foreigner usually isn't eating very hot food so they'll know. Keeping the amount of rice you eat small helps, as this is what they over do a lot here because it's a staple here. If you like chicken , eating it instead of pork saves some calories. Tell them no skin added. You can communicate through your phone if they don't understand English. Stay away from fried rice to save more calories. Of course making your own food is always best but I'm sure you mean eating out.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

.... as in trying to lose weight, not maintaining. 

Calories aren't a major weapon used here - unless you look to buy heavily processed ready  made meals. 

I was eating a single Pad Kaprao a day for a week, and some fruit on the evening. Didn't lose anything. 

Went behind the scenes to see how this Pad Kaprao was being made (under the guise of being a good customer). My goodness this isn't some healthy meal, little bit of chicken mixed into some spicy veg and some rice. Hell no. Instead the volume of oil used was enough to burn a building. She then proceeds to add 20 large spoons (i literally lie to you not) of sugar, followed by endless volume of a salt called MGM. So you think that's it ... no there were more. Once finished she began to put some butter into it, a proper massive lump !!!!!

The sheer volume of salt and MSG put into the rice was astonishing.

I came away thinking this isn't just some minor small meal. This is a one hell of a calorie laden meal. 

My question is to you all ... how on earth do you count calories here and lose weight ?

Ever heard of starting out your meal with salad greens and a low-calorie dressing?  Yes, I know it's normally not found in a typical Thai restaurant.

• Confused 3

Keto diet.....

I eat an AM breakfast & a 2:00/1400 dinner & that's usually it for the day - some days maybe a later snack....I weighed 117k when I started & stay at about 95k now.....I wasn't fat as I'm 195cm but I feel better & it's easier on a left knee & hip that have seen too much sports wear and tear - trying to avoid getting them replaced.....

It took me about 6 months to pare down and see/feel the desired results.....

• Like 2

Actually it is rather easy.  Just read the two best sellers from Dr. William Li, a famous heart surgeon, scientist, best selling author of two books on DIET and Healthy foods.   I thought I was eating healthy anyway and had already adopted some of his recommendations but after reading the books I realized how many healthy foods are available here in Thailand!  I have been able to find places that do fix healthy meals based on his recommendations, and as for fruits, berries, nuts, grains, etc, there are numerous places selling all of those plus just in the regular markets are plenty of healthy veggies, fruits, etc and one of the big problems locally is cooking oils - easy to learn where one can eat healthy or where to avoid.  Of course fo r those readers that live in rural areas with limited shopping I might have misled you.  I am talking about CM and Bangkok because I do have plenty of experience in those two locations on shopping for healthy foods.  Healthy bodies isn't 100% food, but also taking care by exercising regularly, good hygiene practices, avoiding unhealthy drinks or drugs.  But I do hope the best for all, especially looking at health statistics for developed nations which should be better than here but is scary to say the least.

This is not much to do with Thailand - it is easy to eat nutritionally poorly anywhere in the world.

It is what you choose yourself that matters.

I am surprised that you think that ANY diet (good or bad) would show meaningful results in one week!

48 minutes ago, maesariang said:

I think the whole weight loss thing is a scam. Warren Buffet is fat and 93. Just eat enough vitamins and minerals.

Pad Kha Prao however "bad" it is, is not bad as long it isn't part of your regular diet.

I have been here 20 years to discover that in restaurants and outside eating, will provide little in the way of long term nutritional needs.

90% of my diet, I prepare myself, with boring (for some) vegetables, eat lots of fruit, no added sugar in anything , added to plenty of daily exercise that culminates to my 100% health both physically and mentally.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, maesariang said:

I think the whole weight loss thing is a scam. Warren Buffet is fat and 93. Just eat enough vitamins and minerals.

That sounds like something hopelessly silly your hero Trump would say!

Good role model for you, I know!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, maesariang said:

A simpleton's analysis that leaves out dozens of important factors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1