Thaksin's advisor Phumtham tipped to be named defence minister

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa5BwNcrb2UfbHm695FidfgkGdPt4jL8IP9NNNtJA6Ygt8mczhTDp.webp

Pictures courtesy: Thai Rath

Speculation is mounting in Bangkok that Phumtham Wechayachai may soon be named Thailand's new defence minister.

A close advisor to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Phumtham is currently serving as Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister. If appointed, he would replace the acting Defence Minister Sutin Khlungsang in a Cabinet reshuffle orchestrated by Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, Thaksin's daughter.

The potential appointment of Phumtham, a civilian, signals a strategic move to bridge relations with military commanders.

Assisting him possibly would be retired General Nattapol Nakpanich, a former Deputy Army Chief and current acting Secretary-General to the Defence Minister. Nattapol's deep military ties and history with ex-Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha may ease this transition.

The rumoured reshuffle coincides with a possible shift in political alliances. The Democrat Party, traditionally in opposition, might see 21 of its 25 MPs joining the Pheu Thai-led coalition. In return, they could secure key ministerial positions in agriculture and interior sectors.

However, senior Democrat figures like Chuan Leekpai and Jurin Laksanavisit are expected to resist this move, reported Thai Newsroom.

Democrat leader Chalermchai Sri-on, having previously eyed coalition opportunities under the court-deposed Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, remains a strong advocate for this alliance.

Party Secretary-General Det-it Khaothong and Chalermchai are tipped for ministerial roles if the merge proceeds.

In contrast, the future of Palang Pracharath Party’s participation in the government remains uncertain due to internal conflicts over ministerial positions.

Relations between leader Prawit Wongsuwan and Secretary-General Thammanat Prompao are particularly strained, fuelling speculations of an imminent political exodus of MPs loyal to Thammanat.

The complexity of these political manoeuvres adds another layer of intrigue to Thailand's already dynamic political landscape. This potential reshuffle could reshape alliances and define the country's strategic direction in the years to come.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-23

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder who Thaksin will sell grant the education ministry to??? The finance minister will be a coveted position too! 

Edited by 2baht
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A close advisor to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Phumtham is currently serving as Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister. If appointed, he would replace the acting Defence Minister Sutin Khlungsang in a Cabinet reshuffle orchestrated by Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, Thaksin's daughter.

Orchestrated by Thaksin.

• Like 1

Phumtham was a member of the Communist Party of Thailand from 1977 to 1978. He was later a member of the Democrat Party from 1978 until 1997, joining Thai Rak Thai. Phumtham worked as an advisor to the Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra before being appointed Deputy Minister of Transport in the Thaksin II cabinet.

Following the 2006 coup d'état, Phumtham was banned from political office for five years. Returning to politics, Phumtham served as Secretary-General and Deputy Leader of Pheu Thai Party from 2012 to 2023.

Following the 2023 Thai general election, Phumtham was appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Commerce in the Srettha cabinet.

So, what does this guy know about the military and defending his nation? Nothing. Zero. Nunca. Nana. And in Thailand that seems to be the perfect resume for the job. 

Keep Thailand chaotic, ungovernable, uneducated ....run by oligarchs & no one would want to invade, to say nothing of trying to rule here

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2024 at 7:27 AM, herfiehandbag said:

The role of " Defence Minister" within the Thai government must be the most pointless job in politics!

WHAT? It has the highest budget, the most swill in the trough, they'd all like to get their snouts in that trough!!!

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Phumtham was a member of the Communist Party of Thailand from 1977 to 1978. He was later a member of the Democrat Party from 1978 until 1997, joining Thai Rak Thai. Phumtham worked as an advisor to the Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra before being appointed Deputy Minister of Transport in the Thaksin II cabinet.

Following the 2006 coup d'état, Phumtham was banned from political office for five years. Returning to politics, Phumtham served as Secretary-General and Deputy Leader of Pheu Thai Party from 2012 to 2023.

Following the 2023 Thai general election, Phumtham was appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Commerce in the Srettha cabinet.

So, what does this guy know about the military and defending his nation? Nothing. Zero. Nunca. Nana. And in Thailand that seems to be the perfect resume for the job. 

Think there should be a sales representative for the military industrial complex like the Americans have in that position?

In a democratic society, it is vital that they appoint individuals who are genuinely qualified for their roles. Cannot afford to place a police officer in charge of the Ministry of Education, an inexperienced person in charge of environmental issues, or someone with ties to organized crime in positions meant to combat such activities. Individuals with a history of criminal activity should also be excluded from government roles to maintain public trust.

They need leaders who have the relevant experience or knowledge in their fields. At a minimum, they need proactive and capable individuals who can address the challenges their ministries face effectively. They should be focused on solving problems and advancing policies, rather than merely attending ceremonial functions and making speeches.

6 hours ago, john donson said:

a convicted criminal still with deep fingers up most bungholes here, continue to interfere... but that one political party had to be dissolved and forbidden from office for 10 year... go figure

Hopefully allowing Thaksin's interference will be found unethical and Ung Ing will get the boot.  The knives are out for her and I am sure lawyers will be looking at every angle they can use to get rid of her.  Due to his arrogance Thaksin will probably jump into another trap with her like he did with Srettha.  He might also have to flee the country again, if his LM case doesn't go his way next year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

In a democratic society, it is vital that they appoint individuals who are genuinely qualified for their roles. Cannot afford to place a police officer in charge of the Ministry of Education, an inexperienced person in charge of environmental issues, or someone with ties to organized crime in positions meant to combat such activities. Individuals with a history of criminal activity should also be excluded from government roles to maintain public trust.

They need leaders who have the relevant experience or knowledge in their fields. At a minimum, they need proactive and capable individuals who can address the challenges their ministries face effectively. They should be focused on solving problems and advancing policies, rather than merely attending ceremonial functions and making speeches.

You dun need to be an ex general to be defence minister. Many first world countries even those with a strong military do not usually have defence ministers with military background or experience. The current UK defence minister is a case in point. Even the current NATO secretary general who already served a few terms has no military background before taking up the job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2024 at 11:24 PM, Hunz Kittisak said:

Khun Thaksin is making the moves to get rid of the 2 vile generals. 
Better the democrats then PPP.

I would say Pheu Thai is living up to its election promise of ridding the coup generals from government. 

I had not considered this perspective. I am still uncomfortable, but understand your good explanation.  Forgive me if I use a crude analogy: The appointment strategy  is like peeing into a toilet  in an attempt to removed caked on solid material. 

6 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

I had not considered this perspective. I am still uncomfortable, but understand your good explanation.  Forgive me if I use a crude analogy: The appointment strategy  is like peeing into a toilet  in an attempt to removed caked on solid material. 

Lesser of 2 evils

Thaksin is no angel but he did good at the same time, at least the country was making progress and inching towards democracy under him and he didn’t use coups and other means to stay in power. 
After he was disposed the country has been regressing since for more than a decade on every front. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

Lesser of 2 evils

Thaksin is no angel but he did good at the same time, at least the country was making progress and inching towards democracy under him and he didn’t use coups and other means to stay in power. 
After he was disposed the country has been regressing since for more than a decade on every front. 

Inching towards Democracy under Thaskin i very much dough it

Thaskin last  government was increasingly accused of dictatorship, demagogy, corruption, conflicts of interest, human rights offences, acting undiplomatically, using legal loopholes and displaying hostility towards a free press. A highly controversial leader, he has also been the target of numerous allegations of lèse majesté, treason, usurping religious and royal authority, selling assets to international investors, and religious desecration

the Thai people know now What Thaskin is like. A corrupt killer gangster. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikeandDow said:

Thaskin last  government was increasingly accused of dictatorship, demagogy, corruption, conflicts of interest, human rights offences, acting undiplomatically, using legal loopholes and displaying hostility towards a free press. A highly controversial leader, he has also been the target of numerous allegations of lèse majesté, treason, usurping religious and royal authority, selling assets to international investors, and religious desecration

A lot of thai people disagree with you. 
the red shirts, those in the north and north east, the Pheu Thai voters etc etc 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

He absolutely flattened and cowed into silence the more open, independent media that was just starting to emerge. He didn't form any kind of democratic political party, simply an organization with him at the center distributing his largesse as he saw fit for his own benefit. 
Most of the more fanatical redshirts I ever talked to didn't really seem to be interested in democracy and would be happy with the complete annihilation of anybody that shared a different point of view to their own. Those people I know who supported Thaksin or the red shirt movement because they had a genuine interest in the country's democratic development are now well over Thaksin. He's obviously now back in power and he's gambling that he'll be able to give enough to the masses to keep him there rather than sending him packing at the next election. 

47 minutes ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

Red shirts are in the PAST, the movement is not what it used to be !! and the people you say in the north and northeast are much older Thais NOT the younger generation You are living in the past !!!!!

8 hours ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

You need to read the news the Thai people don't want Thaskin

14 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

You use the language  code that the  military junta backers  have used.  You advocate for freedom and democracy, but you use the same legal tricks that the military supporters used.  Just who  made thee allegations of treason etc.?

13 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Red shirts are in the PAST, the movement is not what it used to be !! and the people you say in the north and northeast are much older Thais NOT the younger generation You are living in the past !!!!!

Based upon their activity, they are not. All that they have done is to adapt their political activities. Like any other political group with a long and established existence, they continue. 

6 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

You need to read the news the Thai people don't want Thaskin

And yet they managed to win almost 29% of the  popular vote and to gain 141 seats, only 10 fewer than the MFP.

That is a healthy showing. This is  core strength, rock hard loyalists. One of my closest friends still votes PT despite constantly criticizing politicians and corruption. It defies all logic. His father voted  Thaksin, as did his grandfather and its like he has some idiotic family tradition to uphold. Meanwhile his inlaws are from the south and I doubt share the same outlook.

8 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

You use the language  code that the  military junta backers  have used.  You advocate for freedom and democracy, but you use the same legal tricks that the military supporters used.  Just who  made thee allegations of treason etc.?

Based upon their activity, they are not. All that they have done is to adapt their political activities. Like any other political group with a long and established existence, they continue. 

And yet they managed to win almost 29% of the  popular vote and to gain 141 seats, only 10 fewer than the MFP.

That is a healthy showing. This is  core strength, rock hard loyalists. One of my closest friends still votes PT despite constantly criticizing politicians and corruption. It defies all logic. His father voted  Thaksin, as did his grandfather and its like he has some idiotic family tradition to uphold. Meanwhile his inlaws are from the south and I doubt share the same outlook.

Read the news !!!!! you are living in the Past !  and as i said old people ??  there are NO prizes for coming in second, educate yourself

12 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Read the news !!!!! you are living in the Past !  and as i said old people ??  there are NO prizes for coming in second, educate yourself

You have avoided answering the clearly worded  question.

You stated that Mr. Thaksin has been accused of multiple allegations. Who made the allegations. If you are going to throw out statements like that, then surely you  should be able to name the people and entities who made the allegations.

Don't tell me to educate myself, when it is quite obvious that you are  making statements  that are supportive of a military coup and dictatorship.