I'm planning to stay in Thailand over 6 months. Would Thai government try to tax me?

On 8/26/2024 at 6:01 PM, Lorry said:

Not sure whether you are serious or joking. 

Very wrong.

It doesn't matter when you remit the money. 

TRD looks at one calendar year, eg 2024.

In this calendar year,  were you in Thailand more than 179 day?  If yes, you are a tax resident and have to pay taxes on all remittances during this year,  no matter where you were at the time of the remittance. 

Edited your statement to the following - just in case anyone thinks all money remitted is taxed - only taxable income earned after 1 Jan 2024 is taxable income and only when it is remitted into Thailand.

In this calendar year,  were you in Thailand more than 179 day?  If yes, you are a tax resident and have to pay taxes on all taxable income remittances during this year,  no matter where you were at the time of the remittance. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/24/2024 at 5:49 AM, Card said:

When you convert foreign currency in thailand through banks or exchanges your passport is copied and ID recorded. That info goes to the tax authorities in both Thailand and your home country automatically.  You have then a legal duty to report in an annual self assessment tax return and if that £5000 is earnings then it is liable to taxation.

I can categorically refute your "info goes to the tax authorities in both Thailand and your home country automatically" ......if they had informed UK HMRC it would have been further used against me (and I'll leave it at that lol)

Right so I've now given 5 large to my Thai wife to change £500 at a time at different TT exchanges

Bear in mind we are talking about ourselves not Thai nationals

Do carry on.........

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I can categorically refute your "info goes to the tax authorities in both Thailand and your home country automatically" ......if they had informed UK HMRC it would have been further used against me (and I'll leave it at that lol)

Right so I've now given 5 large to my Thai wife to change £500 at a time at different TT exchanges

Bear in mind we are talking about ourselves not Thai nationals

Do carry on.........

is your wife not a tax resident in thailand? for thai citizens, the same tax laws apply; they will enter her id card into the system...

and the same result! not the smartest solution for tax evasion...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, motdaeng said:

is your wife not a tax resident in thailand? for thai citizens, the same tax laws apply; they will enter her id card into the system...

If his wife is Thai she has a Thai ID card which is her TIN, ergo, she is known to the TRD from the day her ID is issued.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

Dear God the long winter nights must simply fly by..............

(I give up seriously lol)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, motdaeng said:

If his wife doesn't have any income,  500£ (probably even 5000£) are not over the tax-free threshold.

And for these sums, TRD will not run after her and ask her where she got the money from (she could always say, she did a bit of freelance for rich customers).

Now, if he gives her 5m £, that's a different story. 

Of course,  it's tax-evasion.

Edited by Lorry

On 8/24/2024 at 8:13 PM, Bday Prang said:

and anybody else who stays 180 days or more in a year

You need to read Ballpoint story of his tax audit and then apologise.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Agree 1

On 8/26/2024 at 9:08 AM, Presnock said:

If anyone doesn't believe that the Thai govt plans to have foreign residents pay taxes, then suggest you read the interview of 15 July, 2024 of Ms. Kulaya Tantitemit, the Thai Revenue Departmenbt head.  In that interview she says they will begin this taxation of remitted funds first of all during 2024 for remitted funds and then they are "discussing" the implementation of the worldside income taxation of "foreigners" who become tax residents in Thailand.  I realize that the govt has now changed, not sure if she will still be the head of the Revenuel Dept but it sure looks like expats are going to be targets for taxation depending of course on DTA's and assessable income.  Just saying - best of luck to all

"they are "discussing" the implementation of the worldside income taxation of "foreigners" who become tax residents in Thailand."

Where in her statement does she refer to foreigners? In the version I'm reading, she strictly refers to tax residents of Thailand, making no mention of specifically foreigners being the target, which you seem to imply.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Myran said:

"they are "discussing" the implementation of the worldside income taxation of "foreigners" who become tax residents in Thailand."

Where in her statement does she refer to foreigners? In the version I'm reading, she strictly refers to tax residents of Thailand, making no mention of specifically foreigners being the target, which you seem to imply.

suggest you read the Thai evenue definition of a Thai Tax Resident.  I read the version of the Thai Examiner and in that version she specifically says foreigners but any foreigner who stays in Thai for 180 days or more is considered by the Thai government to be a "TAX RESIDENT" 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Myran said:

Foreign-sourced income tax-no logo (expattaxthailand.com)

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Presnock said:

suggest you read the Thai evenue definition of a Thai Tax Resident.  I read the version of the Thai Examiner and in that version she specifically says foreigners but any foreigner who stays in Thai for 180 days or more is considered by the Thai government to be a "TAX RESIDENT" 

29 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Your claim was in regard to their proposal to tax all foreign income, regardless if it's remitted or not. The text in question is about the already implemented tax on remitted, assessable income. Apples and oranges.

You made it seem like she specifically mentioned foreigners being the target for this proposed, new taxation of all foreign income, which is not the case.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Myran said:

Your claim was in regard to their proposal to tax all foreign income, regardless if it's remitted or not. The text in question is about the already implemented tax on remitted, assessable income. Apples and oranges.

You made it seem like she specifically mentioned foreigners being the target for this proposed, new taxation of all foreign income, which is not the case.

I said that I read that bit about trhe thai revenue director's talk about taxing foreigners - mentioned first off about the 100,000 letters to locals about taxes, then later mentions on 1 Jan 2024 about taxing remitted funds, and then even further below there is an article about the worldwide income taxation of "FOREIGNERS".  This is as I mentioned, I read in the Thai Examiner and I just checked it out and it is there so whether or not you believe it, I only mentioned what I had read as it seemed you missed the "foreigners" as targets for both taxation schemes, the one already implemented and the one under discussion.   If you had continued reading that article it is just another article about taxation of worldwide income of foreigners.  The article is the 2nd below the original about the 100,000 letters to locals, followed by another about tghe Thai economy then one entiltled "The Taxman now plans to tax foreigners on all income whether it is remitted into Thailand or not", then another article about "some expat tax residents face a tax bill of Baht 71K a year, then another about the OECD agreement of 2023.  These are all under the original article of the Thai Revenu DIrector's note about the 100,000 letters to locals about their taxes.  One would have thought you could read those articles lumped together in th Thai Examiner but guess you just wanted to jump on me because you couldn't see or read that article that I told you where to find it.  

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Suggest anyone doubting what I quoted as being reported in articles of the Thai Examiner about the taxation of expats, then you should google "thai examiner", then on the economy section, scroll down to page 2 then look for the article of the interview with the thai Revenue Director about the 100,000 letters sent to locals about taxes, then continue scrolling down through several articles on the Thai economic situations, until you see the title about taxing foreign tax residents on all income whether it is remitted or not and then another article on "some expat tax residents face a tax bill of 71K baht a year and if still not settled whether or not expats are targets, it goes on to an article about the OECD agreement of 2023.  What I fail to understand about some of the forum users, they immediatelylike to jump on users without checking all the facts first.  It seems obvious to this OLD FART and computer ignorant that I can find these articles easily and tell people where they are - I just don't give one a link as i think people should know how to "search" for something on social media.  If I can do it easily, then you younger folks should be more able to do it than me.  I have been know to make a mistake now and then as to semantics but once I realize I was wrong I apologize because I don't want to mislead anyone but on this forum, and the taxation schemes immediate or probable are still mostly guesses anyway.  Best of luck on your search.

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Suggest anyone doubting what I quoted as being reported in articles of the Thai Examiner about the taxation of expats, then you should google "thai examiner", then on the economy section, scroll down to page 2 then look for the article of the interview with the thai Revenue Director about the 100,000 letters sent to locals about taxes, then continue scrolling down through several articles on the Thai economic situations, until you see the title about taxing foreign tax residents on all income whether it is remitted or not and then another article on "some expat tax residents face a tax bill of 71K baht a year and if still not settled whether or not expats are targets, it goes on to an article about the OECD agreement of 2023.  What I fail to understand about some of the forum users, they immediatelylike to jump on users without checking all the facts first.  It seems obvious to this OLD FART and computer ignorant that I can find these articles easily and tell people where they are - I just don't give one a link as i think people should know how to "search" for something on social media.  If I can do it easily, then you younger folks should be more able to do it than me.  I have been know to make a mistake now and then as to semantics but once I realize I was wrong I apologize because I don't want to mislead anyone but on this forum, and the taxation schemes immediate or probable are still mostly guesses anyway.  Best of luck on your search.

"some of the forum users, they immediately like to jump on users without checking all the facts first." 

Kneejerkitus is rampant this year...:)

SOP response to member supplying fact is to say they are (tick as appropriate):

- scaremongering and trying to create hysteria for some reason only they understand;

- demented/mistaken and a link must be supplied else it aint so;

- capitalise on reader fear and herd readers towards agents where they will obtain a commission.

19 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

"some of the forum users, they immediately like to jump on users without checking all the facts first." 

Kneejerkitus is rampant this year...:)

SOP response to member supplying fact is to say they are (tick as appropriate):

- scaremongering and trying to create hysteria for some reason only they understand;

- demented/mistaken and a link must be supplied else it aint so;

- capitalise on reader fear and herd readers towards agents where they will obtain a commission.

Anyone that takes guesses from forum users is in the wrong forum since this one only has thousands of guesses and anyone scared from any of them is ignorant of the facts for sure.  As for supplying a link, If you  cannot find what I sent too bad for you but you are the one missing what I said was true.  I was only quoting and if you don't like it or understand it you are the one missing the quote .  I was just passing info that has been reported via the Thai Examiner several times.  I do not waste my time of returning to month or more articles when one asks a makes an incorrect statement about one of the articles.  You or anyone else if really interested can find it for yourselves or ignore it like I do many times.  End of story for me.

24 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Anyone that takes guesses from forum users is in the wrong forum since this one only has thousands of guesses and anyone scared from any of them is ignorant of the facts for sure.  As for supplying a link, If you  cannot find what I sent too bad for you but you are the one missing what I said was true.  I was only quoting and if you don't like it or understand it you are the one missing the quote .  I was just passing info that has been reported via the Thai Examiner several times.  I do not waste my time of returning to month or more articles when one asks a makes an incorrect statement about one of the articles.  You or anyone else if really interested can find it for yourselves or ignore it like I do many times.  End of story for me.

Chill, I'm on your side, I was parodying the atypical AN member who objects to everything.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2024 at 1:13 PM, Myran said:

Unbelievable - you hear and see what you want dont you?  I was, have been, and always will be currently refering to the money remitted into Thailand.  But worldwide taxation is coming - they are planning for it.  And if they do implement worldwide taxation, just who the hell do you think that will affect - of course it will affect all tax residents in Thailand (locals and foreigners) - as in world wide income mate.