How stupidity is an existential threat to America

simple1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You're welcome. I do try to educate people like you, sometimes it's a thankless task.

I would have thought that everyone knows that you can knock your own country but it is bad form to criticize another country... and you, who likes to think he is well mannered and knowledgable does not seem to know some of the basics of manners... 

• Agree 1

Mensa test at 123, I feel lonely, not stupid enough to enjoy trivial stupid socializing, and not smart enough to be at higher level, but stuck with people who think they know everything and nothing will convince them they are wrong 😁

12 hours ago, gargamon said:

Which is where most of the population lives. As it should be. Why let the inbreds in the fly over states dictate the direction the country should go?

Sure hope you're not an American.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Mensa test at 123, I feel lonely, not stupid enough to enjoy trivial stupid socializing, and not smart enough to be at higher level, but stuck with people who think they know everything and nothing will convince them they are wrong 😁

I can drive a car with a manual gearbox. I can't drive a scooter with one. I admire people who can drive D9 bulldozers, or interpret a  X'ray or CAT scan.

I am not a party animal, and I don't understand such events where everyone is talking at the top of their voices to make themselves heard. Usually on the most banal of topics.

IMO you can either keep pricking the balloons of stupid people, or give up on them.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 11:06 AM, billd766 said:

If you believe that you must also believe and agree that US citizens should be allowed to vote in elections in other peoples countries as well.

Perhaps Russia could vote in US elections and the USA could vote in Russian elections. How about if Israel voted in Palestinian elections and Palestinians voted in Israeli elections, or if Iran were allowed to vote in Israeli elections? Would that be OK with you?

That sounds like a recipe for world peace actually. Because noone would vote for a party that was a threat to their (the voter's) own country would they? So all the governments that would be elected would all be benevolent towards each other.

You should found a new political movement on that.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Had

You still can't afford it.

UK general government gross debt was £2,720.8 billion at the end of Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2023, equivalent to 101.3% of gross domestic product (GDP). UK general government deficit (or net borrowing) was £40.8 billion in Quarter 4 2023, equivalent to 6.0% of GDP.Apr 30, 2024

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicspending/bulletins/ukgovernmentdebtanddeficitforeurostatmaast/december2023#:~:text=UK general government gross debt,equivalent to 6.0% of GDP.

12 hours ago, TedG said:

Nope. Not at all. 

Out of curiosity what measurement would you accept for a analysis of 'smarts'. i.e. 'smarts' being intelligence.

6 hours ago, TedG said:

Does anyone really care about the Olympics?

Countries do, it showcases their sporting prowess.

Filipino gymnast Carlos Yulo was rewarded with substantial cash, a luxury condo and offers of lifetime free food from several restaurants.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Life expectancy already covered.

40% of your population are obese, another 30% are overweight.

Your average murder rate is 7.5 persons per 100,000. Ours is 2.

Your death rate from COVID was/is 4 times ours.

You train your schoolkids to hide under their desks if there is an intruder. We have never done that, and the last incident ( kidnapping ) was 50 years ago.

You pay about 4 times as much for private health insurance as we do.

Your incidence of mass shootings is rising. Our last one was almost 30 years ago. Every time you have a mass shooting, gun sales go up.

You might have to pay thousands of dollars for drugs, just to keep you alive. Ours cost AUD 7.50 per prescription.

Enough said?

Yes and you are just a thinly populated aircraft carrier for us. Bet you love those US military dollars, $300 million USD paying your construction workers this year up North?

Carry on with your diatribes against your master. Like Canada, you have a  country because we are nice.

13 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Out of curiosity what measurement would you accept for a analysis of 'smarts'. i.e. 'smarts' being intelligence.

It's difficult to measure. My IQ is well above average on an academic basis.

The mean Thai IQ is 89. Position 64 globally. I'd say my GF has normal Thai academic ability.

OTOH, she is way ahead of me in terms of street smarts, but how does one measure that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's difficult to measure. My IQ is well above average on an academic basis.

The mean Thai IQ is 89. Position 64 globally. I'd say my GF has normal Thai academic ability.

OTOH, she is way ahead of me in terms of street smarts, but how does one measure that?

Same here.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Yes and you are just a thinly populated aircraft carrier for us. Bet you love those US military dollars, $300 million USD paying your construction workers this year up North?

Carry on with your diatribes against your master. Like Canada, you have a  country because we are nice.

Government act out of self interest, not because their being 'nice'. However, yet again Off Topic commentary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

What is street smarts? Ordering food and not getting run over?

Edited by maesariang

8 hours ago, BusyB said:

That sounds like a recipe for world peace actually. Because noone would vote for a party that was a threat to their (the voter's) own country would they? So all the governments that would be elected would all be benevolent towards each other.

You should found a new political movement on that.

Thank you for your comment. I don't mind discussing politics, but getting my hands dirty in something like that is definitely not for me.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, maesariang said:

What is street smarts? Ordering food and not getting run over?

Negotiating a lower price. Knowing when to call the cops, and when not to. Knowing how much is appropriate as a gift to a neighbor. Knowing how to get the poo yai on her side in a dispute.

All stuff I am clueless about.

11 hours ago, TedG said:

You still can't afford it.

UK general government gross debt was £2,720.8 billion at the end of Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2023, equivalent to 101.3% of gross domestic product (GDP). UK general government deficit (or net borrowing) was £40.8 billion in Quarter 4 2023, equivalent to 6.0% of GDP.Apr 30, 2024

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicspending/bulletins/ukgovernmentdebtanddeficitforeurostatmaast/december2023#:~:text=UK general government gross debt,equivalent to 6.0% of GDP.

All thanks to a right wing Tory government.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, simple1 said:

Agree, but an indicative measure for comparison purposes.

I've worked in hands on occupations for all my life and the most that lacked common sense had a degree. No one I know has ever regarded someone with a degree as being a superior intellect.

When nursing went full degree instead of hospital trained, it was obvious to most that the ones with a degree were less practical that those without.They might know how to write a paper, but not so good at the job.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, simple1 said:

Having basic common sense.   Which is on short support on the left these days.  A college degrees does not make one smart.  I know plenty of people without college degrees who are brilliant people..  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TedG said:

Having basic common sense.   Which is on short support on the left these days.  A college degrees does not make one smart.  I know plenty of people without college degrees who are brilliant people..  

Fair enough, but why make the comment about 'the left', same critique can also  apply to 'the 'right'

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

Because they've been in power for the last 14 years.....or how, during these 14 years, have they managed to <deleted> everything up so badly?

They built the overall government that the people can’t afford? 

• Confused 2