Thailand’s new anti-smoking rule burns Thai vendors’ profits

14 hours ago, timendres said:

Yup. Here we are in 2024, and people still have no clue that smoking is harmful.

Thank goodness for this new sign! It should turn things around.

Smokers are either stupid/in denial, obnoxious/care less about others, sorry sacks of s*** who don't care about their health. Just look at some of them 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

The gross pictures they put on cigarette packs here don't deter anyone.  So why would a poster be any better?

And that sure says something about the mentality of " these smokers"

9 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Different kind of alcohol, duh. You dont drink ethyl and you dont put 25 year old McCallan on wounds, unless of course you are in the middle of nowhere and just got savaged by an enraged macaque

Wrong ethyl alcohol, C2H5OH, is what is in alcoholic beverages.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

A bit like the ban on electronic cigarettes. Yet openly sold all over the pavements of Thailand. Corruption at it's finest maybe ?

Until you get caught, one guy yesterday told me he got fined 12,000 baht for having a vape, or go to jail

3 hours ago, stoner said:

yes for real. premium smokes are from the big companies - players. du maurier. benson hedges. etc. 

then you have a lesser value brands. canadian classic for example. 

then you have native reserve smokes. which on their own have levels. they go from packaged cartons like the ones you buy in the store but are lesser quality all the way down to a carton of smokes in a plastic bag. 

yum. 

last i heard a pack of smokes in australia was about 40 dollars cad. i have also heard they want to implement a law to ban smoking basically. set an age limit and if you are born before that date ok you can continue smoking. but after that date and it will be considered an actual charge like assault or B& E kind of thing. 

maybe someone can confirm this.

Nothing about age limits with the introduction of new smoking reforms 01-Apr-2024.

19 hours ago, NE1 said:

Why would you ban smoking , why not ban alcohol ?

Because nothing good comes from smoking for both the user and anyone nearby. Alcohol on the other hand, we all know that a bottle a day keeps the doctor away. 😀

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Because nothing good comes from smoking for both the user and anyone nearby

Smoking can help some people relax .

Not everybody who smokes dies of a smoke related disease .

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

Not strong enough.  A total ban would be appropriate, and it is time for that to happen.

How about life in prison for anyone caught smoking? Would solve the problem.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

How about life in prison for anyone caught smoking? Would solve the problem.

Only poor people.........mustn't lose sight of custom and practice 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Smoking can help some people relax .

Not everybody who smokes dies of a smoke related disease .

It can help with concentration too, and take away hunger, evil as it is.

• Agree 1

Despite having a number of vices including smoking I am not entirely against a total ban, it is though a bit nanny state approach protecting people from themselves or isolating them from society.

The future path and direction though could be a concern.

Consider a few similar potentially harmful vices, caffeine, sugar, fatty foods, alcohol, loud music, hey might as well throw religion in there so lets say we ban them all.

Without vices is it really beneficial to society, keeping people calm, people finding a release in some way doing some things they enjoy and give them a level of pleasure, to take that all away, a lot of the things that make us who we are, would we be in a worse state, perhaps with people seeking other vices to fill the gaps.

I would never want my kid to start smoking for example so I can see why some countries are using that as a future ban based on age.

However if we go down the complete ban route then we'd need to be okay with all those other ones going shortly after and at this point its not something I'd be keen on being part of.

But still every year, in and not only Thailand, there is so much 2.5 particles in the air, you cant breathe and which kils you eventually. Get some medicine and that can kill you. 

Still used in Thailand pesticides, insecticides, fungicides on your nice looking vegetables.

Even products already forbidden many years in the western countries.

No problem, we wil treat your cancer with chemo therapy. Pay up and/or die.

Your processed foods have additions in it, filling it in cheap way, but good?

They are "tested" and approved "safe".

Some years ago, ordered curium, but had to send it back, due to adjustments of levels of a substance in it. Checked what substance and guess what, it is used in food for decades !

All my life it was in the food.  

Sugar is not good, ban it. Eggs, red meat, peanut butter, alcohol is not good.

Water is infected with nano plastic, which will get in your body, blocking your veins eventually.

9000000 TONS/year of plastic in oceans, EVERY YEAR and rising. Killing marine life.

A plankton sort is creating oxygen for the world, not only trees. Kill them and we have oxygen shortage. Keep dumping plastic.

We put lots of CO2 in the air, we dint care. Trees will take it out, too bad we cut trees by the millions.

There are people in the world, who dont have food or "polluted" water. even in Thailand.

But no, of course it is the smoking. That is the worst of the whole world.

Just a bunch of woke a**holes not solving real problems in/of the world.

Major problem of the world? Too many people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bangel72 said:

Consider a few similar potentially harmful vices, caffeine, sugar, fatty foods, alcohol, loud music, hey might as well throw religion in there so lets say we ban them all.

However if we go down the complete ban route then we'd need to be okay with all those other ones going shortly after and at this point its not something I'd be keen on being part of.

Straw man arguments. 

10 hours ago, morrobay said:

Wrong ethyl alcohol, C2H5OH, is what is in alcoholic beverages.

Duh. I forgot the M. Thanks for fixing it. You got my point though didnt you?

• Agree 1

On 8/27/2024 at 11:20 AM, redwood1 said:

Smoking is good and good for you.....We need advertising that encourages more people to smoke......I use to be a brain washed non smoker but now I am a happy smoker........There is hope for you non smokers...

Pure rubbish.

15 hours ago, Bangel72 said:

Despite having a number of vices including smoking I am not entirely against a total ban, it is though a bit nanny state approach protecting people from themselves or isolating them from society.

The future path and direction though could be a concern.

Without vices is it really beneficial to society, keeping people calm, people finding a release in some way doing some things they enjoy and give them a level of pleasure, to take that all away, a lot of the things that make us who we are, would we be in a worse state, perhaps with people seeking other vices to fill the gaps.

I would never want my kid to start smoking for example so I can see why some countries are using that as a future ban based on age.

Ban caffeine?  How dare you?

Where is that darn report button?   😧

• Haha 1