How about some DIY optometry (yes I'm in the right forum)

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The chart linked in the OP is to be used at 5m (about 16'5") distance (yes, they do sell more, er, conventional ones).

The big plus of doing it yourself is that you can tailor your prescription to your exact circumstances, screen distance etc.

so this would be around 5m ...

image.png.183d034e44d08d9151a41f53e45c680f.png

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

this is what I forgot to post ....    anyway,  you think 20"  ? 

image.png.86b72587f95d128bc49b5d17e9f6b586.png

Just been checking............

The term "20/20 vision" originates from the Snellen chart, which was developed by Dutch ophthalmologist Hermann Snellen in 1862. The chart is used to measure visual acuity, which is the clarity or sharpness of vision.

In this system, "20/20" vision means that a person can see at 20 feet what a person with normal vision can see at 20 feet. The first number represents the distance at which a person with normal vision can clearly see a specific line of letters or symbols on the chart, and the second number indicates the distance at which the person being tested can see the same line.

For example, if someone has 20/40 vision, it means they have to be 20 feet away to see something that a person with normal vision could see from 40 feet away. Conversely, if someone has 20/10 vision, they can see something clearly at 20 feet that a person with normal vision could only see from 10 feet away, indicating better-than-normal visual acuity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Except that the exam is almost always rushed. Ever try waiting to respond for 10 seconds to blink a few times? Or ask to see the previous slide more then once? You can feel the frustration when you do this from the Optometrist.

With a kit like this I could really nail down what I needed and take my time. I'm not sure about the lenses purchase though, if it would require a signed Rx or not. I know contacts in Thailand do not, they can be purchased on lazada.

I go to the same optician since many years. I never looked at my watch, but I guess checking my eye takes maybe 20 to 30 min, no rush. 

To be fair, I also buy new lenses in the same shop every couple of years. It's not cheap, the service and quality are great. And I think it's a good idea to do the best for our eyes and vision. 

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Except that the exam is almost always rushed. Ever try waiting to respond for 10 seconds to blink a few times? Or ask to see the previous slide more then once? You can feel the frustration when you do this from the Optometrist.

With a kit like this I could really nail down what I needed and take my time. I'm not sure about the lenses purchase though, if it would require a signed Rx or not. I know contacts in Thailand do not, they can be purchased on lazada.

You need to move with the times, all done with a computer shining lasers through you eye lens. "Watch the tractor as it crosses the field"

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You need to move with the times, all done with a computer shining lasers through you eye lens. "Watch the tractor as it crosses the field"

Did mine in BKK.....I had a buffalo.....?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Madam has gone to the local somtam outlet for something lethal (but delicious). I feel a "system clear out" will be coming on this afternoon 😞 

PEG 3350 will get the same result, more gently.

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds good, I need to try that. Removes the human error aspect.

We can always chat, after the exam.

Had varifocals for many many  years, last new pair the Eye Dr said it was a waste of money and so had bifocales  hate them, and after 4 years still hate them, 

So have long + reading... OK I am tall but top or bottom lens cannot see my feet clear, so objects on a foot path/ steps and so on are a problem and caused many a trip.

Last new pair of varifocals in 2005 cost 20,000 baht,  present bifocales in 2020 cost 2,500 baht......  will see next week at Eye Dr Appointment..

One has to think, if I read then do nothing more, if I am on the PC then mid range, or out and about long range. so 3 pairs of glasses are less then 1/2 the price of varifocals

On 8/28/2024 at 11:26 AM, Will B Good said:

Strange thing.....my distance vision is almost perfect now after having to wear glasses from my late 20s???

Same here. My optometrist wasn't that surprised. I hadn't been tested for seven years (because I was in Thailand). Had reading glasses too that weren't all that necessary so I no longer use those either. Consider myself very fortunate!

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Had varifocals for many many  years, last new pair the Eye Dr said it was a waste of money and so had bifocales  hate them, and after 4 years still hate them, 

So have long + reading... OK I am tall but top or bottom lens cannot see my feet clear, so objects on a foot path/ steps and so on are a problem and caused many a trip.

Last new pair of varifocals in 2005 cost 20,000 baht,  present bifocales in 2020 cost 2,500 baht......  will see next week at Eye Dr Appointment..

One has to think, if I read then do nothing more, if I am on the PC then mid range, or out and about long range. so 3 pairs of glasses are less then 1/2 the price of varifocals

Yep, you may need to carry around the reading glasses just in case when your out. That becomes troublesome because I end up sitting on them or looking like some old guy with them in my front shirt pocket or with them on a string around my neck. With varifocals I don't need to do that.

Edited by JimTripper

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Varifocals are $50-60 from zennioptical (Inc delivery, about 10 days). No need to worry about the silly Thai pricing.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:13 AM, Lacessit said:

There are bifocal glasses.

My reading glasses stay by the laptop/desktop.

The main lens of my bifocals are for distance, when I am driving. The smaller lens underneath are for reading, such as a menu in a restaurant.

Reading glasses at the laptop, bifocals in the car. Simple.

I think most Varifocal lenses now have three zones, all blending into each other.

As I said in a previous post, I now have gone for just my long distance prescription, which is fine for PC and telly, and take them off for reading or phone. Seems to work for me.

• Thanks 1

Guy gives me a very strong virgin vibes.  I think somebody should suggest to him to do a 1 week temple/sightseeing/golf holiday in Pattaya before he devotes a rest of his life to doing a nerdy videos about transistors and oscilloscopes on a Youtube.

24 minutes ago, Jeff Reinstad said:

Guy gives me a very strong virgin vibes.  I think somebody should suggest to him to do a 1 week temple/sightseeing/golf holiday in Pattaya before he devotes a rest of his life to doing a nerdy videos about transistors and oscilloscopes on a Youtube.

Nerdy guys like that turn into successful leaders of companies or at the top of their fields. You don't find them in Pattaya and sex is not usually very important.

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Nerdy guys like that turn into successful leaders of companies or at the top of their fields. You don't find them in Pattaya and sex is not usually very important.

He looks like 50+.

If there was any potencial, he would be running that company now.

The fact that he is playing at this point of life a "nerdy Youtube" for $0.001 per view tells me that he is not next big thing.