Tourist Boat Crew Member's Shocking Act Sparks Outrage in Thailand

webfact

Not something spectacular. 

I was snorkeling some month ago when I encountered a very special brown  kind of fish.

Back on the surface I realized a boat with tourists.

The fish didn't tell me where he came from.

After this experience I'm very choosing where to dive or where to go snorkeling. 😳

Many of Opinions.  Where is any proof to the water quality being a consistent problem?  

Do they test the water quality and publish an itemized list of the results.

How do the results compare to Europe, USA, etc for what is considered safe.

Lived in South Florida and some days what appeared to be Safe Water by color, clarity, smell was tested and Do Not Swim Notices were posted until the next test 3 or 4 days later and a Safe test result.

What's shocking about it? I came on here expecting something a bit more interesting than a boatman pooping over the back of the boat.

Where do the luvvies think all the men on fishing boats poop?

I've been on more than one tourist boat/ ferry where the toilet empties directly into the sea behind the boat.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Koh Larn, Thailand — A tourist boat crew member has become the centre of a viral storm after a video surfaced showing him defecating in the sea off Koh Larn.

The clip has sparked outrage and has raised pressing concerns about the behaviour of individuals in the tourism industry and its potential impact on the island’s renowned family-friendly reputation, reported Adam Judd for The Pattaya News.

The video, initially uploaded by an unidentified Facebook user, captures the boatman nonchalantly relieving himself at the back of the speedboat in broad daylight. The incident unfolded in front of stunned tourists and involved the boatman joking with his colleagues throughout.

Despite the original Facebook page being later removed, a vocal group within the Pattaya Facebook community managed to save the clip and share it widely, spreading further dismay.

The crew member, referred to only as Mr. Ohm, admitted to the act during an interview. He confessed that as a boatman responsible for ferrying tourists, he sometimes experienced sudden stomach discomfort.

To alleviate this, he would venture out into open waters and relieve himself discreetly behind the boat. However, he acknowledged that this time he acted without due consideration for the consequences.

Mr. Ohm expressed his regret over the incident, promising that he would not repeat such behaviour in the future. The situation has ignited debates on social media about the general standards required of personnel in the tourism industry and the need for strict hygiene practices to protect the environment and impressionable tourists.

It remains uncertain whether Mr. Ohm will face any legal repercussions for his actions. This incident follows growing concerns over environmental preservation and public decency in tourist hotspots, urging authorities to likely reconsider regulations surrounding such behaviours.

Although the incident may alarm sensitive viewers, stock photos of Pattaya Bay have been used to maintain sensitivity while conveying the story.

Source: THE PATTAYA NEWS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-29

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

outrage? about what? get a life!

Seems like many netizens have never touched grass. Just where do they think this stuff goes when they use a toilet on a boat. Reality is that no tourist speedboat has a holding tank (not required in Thailand), though the macerator helps with breakdown... But if he "had to go"... Ocean > Pant. 

• Agree 1

Concerned?  If there is ANY concern people would pressure officials to test if water is Safe to Swim.

Unknown is, "How many people have to seek medical attention after swimming at Pattaya, Jomtien Beach?"

10 or 20 Baht for use of a shower, try Not to drink or get much in your mouth.  

Many Years and I almost Never read about someone sick from swimming at Pattaya, Jomtien beaches.